in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-04-2011 7:19 AM by Vienna. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-01-2011 10:20 AM

Speakers will have RJ45 sockets instead of DIN from January

Apparently, from January all speakers listed below will no longer have the traditional Powerlink DIN sockets.

Instead, they will be fitted with RJ45 sockets and therefore you will need different Powerlink cables.

Speakers which will be manufacturered with RJ45 sockets are:-

• BeoLab 2
    • BeoLab 3
    • BeoLab 4
    • BeoLab 9
    • BeoLab 10
    • BeoLab 11
    • BeoLab 4000
    • BeoLab 6002
    • BeoLab 8002

The following diagram shows the connections from an RJ45 to powerlink

Regards Keith....

• 12-01-2011 10:52 AM In reply to

Re: Speakers will have RJ45 sockets instead of DIN from January

What are the implications of this for attaching to non B&O equipment (Airport Express or optical out from an Apple TV for example)?

• 12-01-2011 11:37 AM In reply to

• Style
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-01-2011
    • Posts 40
    • Bronze Member

No implication. It is just change of sockets. The electrical signal will be the same. Stupid change, now there will be a risk of mixing up different signals that could potentially damage the equipment.
  • 12-01-2011 11:52 AM In reply to

RickieH:
    What are the implications

RJ45 is used for a lot of other applications these days. But, I sure we will not have to wait long before someone plugs their local area network cable into one thinking its a network connection.

Regards Keith....

• 12-01-2011 12:19 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I'm sure I'll get a myriad of posts about this, but I have to ask - what's the point?

If the connection is exactly the same then why bother? To save space? Cost? Is B&O trying to corner the shielded ethernet cable market?

I can't imagine trying to terminate a new converter cable..

Evan

• 12-01-2011 12:30 PM In reply to

Evan:
    I'm sure I'll get a myriad of posts about this, but I have to ask - what's the point?

I don't know what the point is from B&O's point of view, but I see it immensely easier and cheaper for everyone if you can use all the existing RJ45 installation hardware and even house wiring instead of hunting for (expensive, small series) Powerlink wall plates etc.

Installers (and anyone else) will also save about 95% of their time by using crimp tools to make custom length speaker cables instead of struggling with a DIN and a soldering iron.

-mika

• 12-01-2011 12:43 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

RickieH:

What are the implications of this for attaching to non B&O equipment
    (Airport Express or optical out from an Apple TV for example)?

You'll need a different adapter cable
    - but PowerLink remains an analogue signal
    - just the plug will be changed.

Optical is a digital signal - no way.

In Network Link (CAT 7) installations a CAT 6 patch cable RJ45<>RJ45  
    between wall outlet / PL distribution module and the speaker
    will replace all versions of PowerLink cables.     

This will make it a lot easyer to customize cables, soldering 8 pins
    takes a lot more time than crimping a RJ45 plug.  

• 12-01-2011 1:00 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:

Evan:

I don't know what the point is from B&O's point of view, but I see it immensely easier and cheaper for everyone if you can use all the existing RJ45 installation hardware and even house wiring instead of hunting for (expensive, small series) Powerlink wall plates etc.

Installers (and anyone else) will also save about 95% of their time by using crimp tools to make custom length speaker cables instead of struggling with a DIN and a soldering iron.

Only true, if the cables of your installation are minimum

S/FTP type - SHIELDED/FOILED TWISTED PAIR cables

which can be used as a replacement for ML and PL cables.

It is NOT an ISSUE OF BANDWIDTH why you need CAT 7 for an analogue signal
    - IT'S THE SUFFICIENT SHIELDING / SCREENING !

CAT 7 cables will always fulfill this SHIELDING requirements for ANALOGUE USE 
    CAT 6 cables in many cases, 
    CAT 5/e cables won't be sufficient in most cases. 

• 12-01-2011 3:06 PM In reply to

• EdouardG
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 339
    • Gold Member

Hi folks,

With such cables, will it still be needed to put some masterlink cables between both the master and the "slave"?

Here is what I've seen on the web:

http://www.danishlink.com/Powerlink-+-RJ45-c-2_17.html

E d o u a r d  G

• Beovision 10-40 Orange MkII / Motorised stand / DVB HD T2/C MkIII
    • Beolab 5 Black
    • Beosound 8 Black
    • Beocom 2 MkII (Polished Alu)
    • Earset 2
    • Earset 3i
    • Form 2 Black
    • Beotime (Alarm Clock)
    • Keyring
    • Beo 6 / Wall charger
    • Beo 4  

°°°°°°°  2nd Prize Draw Winner - November '11 / Beolab 3000 N.O.S  °°°°°°°
  • 12-01-2011 4:29 PM In reply to

You can also send Masterlink over Cat 7, but in this thread we are ONLY talking about Powerlink over CAT 7

Regards Keith....

• 12-02-2011 2:26 AM In reply to

• valve1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 213
    • Gold Member

Keith Saunders:
    RJ45 is used for a lot of other applications these days. But, I sure we will not have to wait long before someone plugs their local area network cable into one thinking its a network connection.
    Keith, sadly this has all ready happened ! I was asked to help a student (from a very flash university) as she could not plug her phone in. She could not understand why her rj11 would not go into a 3pin power (240v) socket... rj45's now thats even more confusing.

• 12-02-2011 5:49 AM In reply to

I don't agree that it is confusing.

There have always been a few different connectors around the Hi-Fi world - not to mention just around the house generally - - 3 pin mains, 2 pin mains, Fig 8 mains, phono, din, 4mm ( banana) speaker, bare wire speaker, 2 pin din speaker, odd din variants ( B&O, Naim, Quad). 

Plus a few others.

Trying to plug a phone charger into a mains socket (or whatever your student mate did) is just not being careful. 

There are various mini-usb connections around - some carry voltage to charge phones, some don't.  Even some connectors that look the same can be fully / partially wired ( scart, DVI, din ) leading to errors.

This has always been the case, in some form or other. 

Anyone who wrongly plugs a power cable into a signal socket, or vice versa, is simply rushing without reading the labels/manuals first. 

Please note, I am not being unsympathetic - I have done things like this myself - but the fact that something could be done wrong by a user is no reason for a manufacturer to not use a style of plug/socket - as long as they label it correctly.

If you put the wrong fuel in your car,  is that the makers fault ?  No, its yours.Sad

• 12-02-2011 6:05 AM In reply to

• Style
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-01-2011
    • Posts 40
    • Bronze Member

folkdeejay:

I don't agree that it is confusing.

There have always been a few different connectors around the Hi-Fi world - not to mention just around the house generally - - 3 pin mains, 2 pin mains, Fig 8 mains, phono, din, 4mm ( banana) speaker, bare wire speaker, 2 pin din speaker, odd din variants ( B&O, Naim, Quad). 

Plus a few others.

Trying to plug a phone charger into a mains socket (or whatever your student mate did) is just not being careful. 

There are various mini-usb connections around - some carry voltage to charge phones, some don't.  Even some connectors that look the same can be fully / partially wired ( scart, DVI, din ) leading to errors.

This has always been the case, in some form or other. 

Anyone who wrongly plugs a power cable into a signal socket, or vice versa, is simply rushing without reading the labels/manuals first. 

Please note, I am not being unsympathetic - I have done things like this myself - but the fact that something could be done wrong by a user is no reason for a manufacturer to not use a style of plug/socket - as long as they label it correctly.

If you put the wrong fuel in your car,  is that the makers fault ?  No, its yours.Sad

I don't agree at all. Being foolproof is an important aspect of good design. 

• 12-02-2011 8:03 AM In reply to

I'm wondering if the new connection might make running the cable through speaker stands easier. Am I the only person who has trashed powerlink cables trying to run them through the BeoLab 4000 floor stand? 

• 12-02-2011 11:56 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Keith Saunders"]RJ45 is used for a lot of other applications these days. But, I sure we will not have to wait long before someone plugs their local area network cable into one thinking its a network connection

Keith, sadly this has all ready happened ! I was asked to help a student (from a very flash university) as she could not plug her phone in. She could not understand why her rj11 would not go into a 3pin power (240v) socket... rj45's now thats even more confusing.

That in Eire then? If so explains it!!(bad English humour sorry!)

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 12-04-2011 12:20 AM In reply to

Keith Saunders:

from January all speakers listed below ... will be fitted with RJ45 sockets

oh cool ... internet music at last

Laughing

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-04-2011 3:29 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:

But one side will still need a DIN as TVs etc will still ship with the older powerlink sockets? ie. it's not going to be as easy as just grabbing an RJ45 and connecting your B&O TV on one end to your speakers on another? I guess connecting two speakers will be a lot easier. Howevr, RJ45 cables are much thicker than powerlink, which will make them more tricky to hide.

I wonder if you can buy RJ45 face plate for the wall, connect a cable from your TV and then your speakers to another RJ45 face plate elsewhere in the room?

Faceplate

• 12-04-2011 7:19 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:

But one side will still need a DIN as TVs etc will still ship with the older powerlink sockets?
    ie. it's not going to be as easy as just grabbing an RJ45 and connecting your B&O TV on one end
    to your speakers on another?

DIN 8pin to RJ 45 PowerLink Adapter Cables are available from B&O in different leghth -  
    easy to customise these cables by cutting and crimping a RJ45. 

The above also applies to ML <> RJ45 MasterLink Adapter Cables! 

moxxey:

Howevr, RJ45 cables are much thicker than powerlink, which will make them more tricky to hide.

Yes, compared to the discontinued fully mounted MK 2 types and
    the thin MK 3 PL types (which should only be used for short distances).

No, if compared to the strongly recommended "5.5 mm fully mounted double screened PL-cable"  
    -  the new 5mm version is slightly thinner.  

The layout of a (larger) BeoLink installation designed today will be completely different to an
    installtion planned 3 or 5 years ago ... 

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)