in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-04-2011 6:03 PM by EdouardG. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-30-2011 10:47 AM

• KMA
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 101
    • Silver Member

Audio issues with BeoVision 10-46 BASS adjustment

I've been using BeoVision 10-46 for more "serious listening" ever since I got the BeoLab 11 to complement the sound.

Tweaking the BASS settings from the TV's menu, however, gives the strangest of results. I'm wondering if it's a software glitch, or if there's something wrong with the audio PCB. So I decided to ask if anyone here has experienced anything similar:

Sound settings:

With the adjustments set to their defaults (all adjustments, including BASS, set to their mid-point), the sound is okay, but lacks overall bass or "warmth" especially in the lower midrange.

With BASS set to +1 from the default mid-point, bass disappears from the TV's speakers almost completely, and the sound becomes very thin. Setting of +1 should of course increase the overall bass response, not decrease it. 

With BASS set to +2, the bass level increases as it should, but it stays increased only on certain volume levels, those being 30, 36, 42 (you notice a pattern here…). If the volume is at 31, 32, 33 etc., the bass level drops again as if it's set way below the mid-point.

With BASS set to +3, the bass level remains deeper and works with all volume settings. However, +3 is overdoing it, with BeoLab 11.

The strange disappearance of bass from the TV's speakers happens regardless of whether the BeoLab 11 is connected or not. There is of course more low-end bass with BeoLab 11, but setting the BASS to +1 or +2 cuts the bass (or lower midrange?) from the TV's speakers. Increasing only the subwoofer level does not have the same overall impact on sound, so that is not the solution.

Does anyone with more in-depth technical knowledge have an idea whether this is a software issue or is there something wrong with the audio internals? Apart from the BASS +1 and +2 setting, everything works fine, so it obviously isn't a speaker or amplifier problem...

KMA

Current setup: BeoVision 10-46 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand) with Apple TV 2 (FireCore), Sony BDP-S780, Mac Mini, BeoLab 11 (silver), Beo5, BeoSound 8 (red speaker covers). Accessories: A8 Earphones, wine bottle coasters.

B&O product history, in chronological order since 1990, after the onset of the treaded BeoVirus (I tend to upgrade/change my setup "infrequently"): BeoSystem 2500 (with blue speaker covers), BeoLink 5000, BeoSystem 7000 (complete; silver/black), BeoLink 7000, RedLine 60.2, BeoVox Penta, BeoVision MX4000 (black, motorized floor stand), BeoCord VX5000 (black), BeoSystem 4500 (complete), BeoCenter 9500, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoVision Avant (original, 28" AR, VHS, green), BeoCenter 2300, BeoVision 3-32 (grey speaker frame, AR, motorised cabinet), DVD1 (grey), BeoCord V8000 (grey), Beo4, BeoSound Ouverture (w/ floor cabinet stand), BeoVision Avant RF (grey, 32", AR, VHS), BeoSound 9000, BeoCenter AV5 (blue), BeoVision 1 (yellow, motorized floor stand), Beo1, BeoSound Century (yellow), BeoCenter 1 (blue, AR, motorized floor stand), BeoSound 1 (silver, floor stand), BeoVision Avant RF DVD (grey, 32", AR), BeoVision 7-32 MkI (AR, motorized floor stand), BeoLab 3 (black), BeoSound 2, BeoVision 10-40 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand).

• 11-30-2011 11:25 AM In reply to

Re: Audio issues with BeoVision 10-46 BASS adjustment

I don't really know anything how the internals are implemented in reality - but one explanation I would buy is that some digital tone control is missing some of its control bits. That could be a real physical fault like a defect soldering or a faulty IC.

A bug in software sounds less plausible to me, as it would affect all similare sets and I'm sure it would've been noticed and corrected a long time ago.

-mika

• 11-30-2011 2:31 PM In reply to

• EdouardG
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 339
    • Gold Member

Hi KMA,

Even if I have a BV10-40 instead of a BV10-46, both tv's share the same audio system.

I didn't notice such an issue with mine.

I've just done the test a few minutes ago, to check if what you explain happens to me.

But on mine, when BASS are +2 and TREBLE +2 , then bass and treble are louder even if the sound level is 30 or 50.

So I think there's an issue with your BV10 audio system.

Let us know what your dealer tells you about it please.

Cheers,

E d o u a r d  G

• Beovision 10-40 Orange MkII / Motorised stand / DVB HD T2/C MkIII
    • Beolab 5 Black
    • Beosound 8 Black
    • Beocom 2 MkII (Polished Alu)
    • Earset 2
    • Earset 3i
    • Form 2 Black
    • Beotime (Alarm Clock)
    • Keyring
    • Beo 6 / Wall charger
    • Beo 4  

°°°°°°°  2nd Prize Draw Winner - November '11 / Beolab 3000 N.O.S  °°°°°°°
  • 12-01-2011 3:18 PM In reply to

• KMA
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 101
    • Silver Member

Thanks for your responses & test.

I've notified my dealer and asked for a service visit, and I'm sure the "abnormallity" with sound adjustments will be sorted out. 

I had a look at the BV10-46 Service Manual, and thankfully, if this is a circuit problem, the PCB Audio is easy to replace, compared to installing the LCD Cooling Kit, which was done for my BV10-40 before the exchange to the 46" model.

KMA

Current setup: BeoVision 10-46 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand) with Apple TV 2 (FireCore), Sony BDP-S780, Mac Mini, BeoLab 11 (silver), Beo5, BeoSound 8 (red speaker covers). Accessories: A8 Earphones, wine bottle coasters.

B&O product history, in chronological order since 1990, after the onset of the treaded BeoVirus (I tend to upgrade/change my setup "infrequently"): BeoSystem 2500 (with blue speaker covers), BeoLink 5000, BeoSystem 7000 (complete; silver/black), BeoLink 7000, RedLine 60.2, BeoVox Penta, BeoVision MX4000 (black, motorized floor stand), BeoCord VX5000 (black), BeoSystem 4500 (complete), BeoCenter 9500, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoVision Avant (original, 28" AR, VHS, green), BeoCenter 2300, BeoVision 3-32 (grey speaker frame, AR, motorised cabinet), DVD1 (grey), BeoCord V8000 (grey), Beo4, BeoSound Ouverture (w/ floor cabinet stand), BeoVision Avant RF (grey, 32", AR, VHS), BeoSound 9000, BeoCenter AV5 (blue), BeoVision 1 (yellow, motorized floor stand), Beo1, BeoSound Century (yellow), BeoCenter 1 (blue, AR, motorized floor stand), BeoSound 1 (silver, floor stand), BeoVision Avant RF DVD (grey, 32", AR), BeoVision 7-32 MkI (AR, motorized floor stand), BeoLab 3 (black), BeoSound 2, BeoVision 10-40 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand).

• 12-04-2011 6:37 AM In reply to

• tompa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-30-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 94
    • Bronze Member

KMA:

I've been using BeoVision 10-46 for more "serious listening" ever since I got the BeoLab 11 to complement the sound.

Tweaking the BASS settings from the TV's menu, however, gives the strangest of results. I'm wondering if it's a software glitch, or if there's something wrong with the audio PCB. So I decided to ask if anyone here has experienced anything similar:

Sound settings:

With the adjustments set to their defaults (all adjustments, including BASS, set to their mid-point), the sound is okay, but lacks overall bass or "warmth" especially in the lower midrange.

With BASS set to +1 from the default mid-point, bass disappears from the TV's speakers almost completely, and the sound becomes very thin. Setting of +1 should of course increase the overall bass response, not decrease it. 

With BASS set to +2, the bass level increases as it should, but it stays increased only on certain volume levels, those being 30, 36, 42 (you notice a pattern here…). If the volume is at 31, 32, 33 etc., the bass level drops again as if it's set way below the mid-point.

With BASS set to +3, the bass level remains deeper and works with all volume settings. However, +3 is overdoing it, with BeoLab 11.

The strange disappearance of bass from the TV's speakers happens regardless of whether the BeoLab 11 is connected or not. There is of course more low-end bass with BeoLab 11, but setting the BASS to +1 or +2 cuts the bass (or lower midrange?) from the TV's speakers. Increasing only the subwoofer level does not have the same overall impact on sound, so that is not the solution.

Does anyone with more in-depth technical knowledge have an idea whether this is a software issue or is there something wrong with the audio internals? Apart from the BASS +1 and +2 setting, everything works fine, so it obviously isn't a speaker or amplifier problem...

Hi,

Your tv need a software update, (Build 210) will solve your problem

/Tompa

• 12-04-2011 11:21 AM In reply to

• KMA
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 101
    • Silver Member

tompa:

Hi,

Your tv need a software update, (Build 210) will solve your problem

/Tompa

Thank you, Tompa, that's great news - not having to change any components. I discussed the issue with my dealer, and the software update is on its way!

KMA

• 12-04-2011 4:56 PM In reply to

• EdouardG
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 339
    • Gold Member

Hi,

My BV10-40 is build 166.

Can I ask my dealer a software update or is it up to date?

E d o u a r d  G

• Beolab 5 Black
    • Beosound 8 Black
    • Earset 2
    • Earset 3i
    • Form 2 Black
    • Beotime (Alarm Clock)
    • Keyring
    • Beo 6 / Wall charger
    • Beo 4  

• 12-04-2011 5:54 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

EdouardG:
    Hi, My BV10-40 is build 166.

Hi Edouard,

as we discussed some time ago, Build 166 was up to date the time you bougt the TV.

Build 210 is the most recent now and addresses "distorted bass from all sources" .

Your dealer / service technician will have to visit you for a SW update - should be
    covered by warranty ...  

• 12-04-2011 6:03 PM In reply to

• EdouardG
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 339
    • Gold Member

Vienna:

EdouardG:
    Hi, My BV10-40 is build 166.

Hi Edouard,

as we discussed some time ago, Build 166 was up to date the time you bougt the TV.

Build 210 is the most recent now and addresses "distorted bass from all sources" .

Your dealer / service technician will have to visit you for a SW update - should be
    covered by warranty ...  

Hi Vienna,

I remember this discussion, but I wasn't sure the build version was as updatable as the dvbhd is.

Cheers and thanks for your reply.

E d o u a r d  G

• Beolab 5 Black
    • Beosound 8 Black
    • Earset 2
    • Earset 3i
    • Form 2 Black
    • Beotime (Alarm Clock)
    • Keyring
    • Beo 6 / Wall charger
    • Beo 4  

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)