in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-01-2011 2:59 PM by stefan. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-29-2011 2:40 AM

BS5/BM5 not starting

Hello!

My combo BS5/BM5 doesn't want to start up - on the screen it shows "Bang and Olufsen" and the red dot is flashing! The soft-reset button on the BM5 does not show any reaction...

The new software has been installed (automatically)

The system (in combination with a BS9000 as audiomaster) worked fine until I copied some music (Beonet) the day before; I had to earse some music files as well; everything was working fine - I always check if music and coverart are working.

Then I turned it off - the display went black but I could see that the background lighting was still on (I can not remember about the red light/dot); I tried a soft reset - no reaction; doing a hard reset (cutting power cord) the system went back again to: black display with red dot lighting - it seems to be fine but as I tried to listen to music nothing happend - again hard reset -> now as I wrote in the beginning...

anybody any idea?

Regards Elmar

• 11-29-2011 3:27 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Re: BS5/BM5 not starting

"Red Dot" indicates:  no ML connection established

• 11-29-2011 4:12 AM In reply to

Thanks for you quick answer....

But I managed to make it worse: after a last soft-reset the system came up with the Windows Backupscreen where one could choose between "Beomaster5" and "Beomaster5Recovery"; I let it start up and the normal interface came up (where to choose betweeen N.music, n.radio, ... on the right and "mode", "artist", "cover", "title"... on the left -> problem was, that the wheel and other input gears of the BS5 did not react - so I did a soft-reset again and now the BS5 only shows the red light but there's no reaction turning the wheel or pushing the small button behind.

I can hear the BM5 starting up (fan runs)

I checked the cables - they are all in place...

• 11-29-2011 5:59 AM In reply to

Hi,

Do you have image on the TV ? (if it is connected)
    If you use the remote , do you hear music ? 
    Sometimes it takes some time after a reset before the system will react ...

nico 

• 11-29-2011 8:35 AM In reply to

I do not have a TV connected;

it seems that there is no connection between the BM5 and the BS5 -> ok, some energy must be there because of the red light, but there is no reaction nether turning the wheel nor useing the remote

maybe a cable has broken? but by starting the master there should be a "picture" on the screen...

• 11-29-2011 9:22 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

f5434964:
    ...after a last soft-reset the system came up with the Windows Backupscreen where one could choose between "Beomaster5" and "Beomaster5Recovery"

DISCONNECT the BM 5 for SEVERAL (10-15) MINUTES FROM POWER  - reconnect the mains and
    when the black boot-screen lets you choose between "Beomaster 5" and "Beomaster 5 Recovery"
    select "Recovery".

Be patient, don't disturb this process - it may take a while.

During this process the unit may boot - be patient till the unit (hopefully)
    comes "back to live" again.

After this you should trigger a "manual software update" to install the recent SW version again, and,
    as before, don't disturb ...  

• 11-30-2011 6:04 AM In reply to

yes, I know I've some mistakes;

there is no reaction at all; I also tried to connect a monitor to the DVI-output (no other gears connected) and again nothing on the screen; it seems that the HDD starts up also the red light turns to green but that's it;

something seems to be "broken" ... no idea left

Thanks for all your help - maybe if you have further ideas please let me know

Regards Elmar

• 12-01-2011 6:52 AM In reply to

Does sort of hang then it keeps trying to boot up? ...if so could be the ram!

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 12-01-2011 8:26 AM In reply to

I'm afraid it's a hardware issue...ok, if done some resets but the BM5 is a kind of PC and there should be a kind of BIOS?!?!?

now: plug in the BM I the led turns green and I can hear something starting up - I think its the HDD but nothing else is happening; the BS5 shows the red light but there is no reaction turning the wheel or pressing any button...

with the on/off switch on the BM I can shut it down so the noise within stops and the led turns to red

... Sad

I do not have any idea left what I could do - do not want to open it...

elmar

• 12-01-2011 8:52 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

I`m afraid you are right. If it`s an early BM5 - one of the first in 2009 - it might be a faulty mainboard. A known issue. My BM5 had a similiar problem and got a new mainboard - under warranty.

Stefan

• 12-01-2011 12:23 PM In reply to

@Stefan thanks for your opinion - I think you're right; the BM is on its way to service; let's see what could be done...

Problem: guarantee expired in Feb this year...

Regards Elmar 

• 12-01-2011 2:59 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

f5434964:

@Stefan thanks for your opinion - I think you're right; the BM is on its way to service; let's see what could be done...

Problem: guarantee expired in Feb this year...

My BS5 is from Jan 2009. Warranty was expired too. Beo replaced the mainboard without any costs, because many mainboards in 2009 were faulty.

Good luck....

Stefan

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)