in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-05-2011 5:59 PM by Carl Sheerman. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-26-2011 2:36 PM

HELP NEEDED BV 7 40 INCH NOT WORKING!!!!

I need help guys.  My Beovision 7 Mk III 40 inch has stopped working and it controls the signals for the rest of the house.  The TV just turned itself off when i was in another room.  So far i have tested and replaced the fuze the fuze which is a 3 amp and is fine now.  I have tested the power coming out of the power cable is that is ok,  I have even swapped over the power cable to no avail.  

There simply is no red light.  It is conected to a 8 way gang protected power supply..  

The TV was purchased in Jan 2008 so i am still in the 4 year guarantee period.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Your Hopefully

Carl

Carl Sheerman

• 11-26-2011 3:09 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: HELP NEEDED BV 7 40 INCH NOT WORKING!!!!

Carl Sheerman:

So far i have tested and replaced the fuze the fuze which is a 3 amp and is fine now.

You say it's fine now. Did it blow the fuse then?

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 11-26-2011 3:11 PM In reply to

Yes it did Lee

Carl Sheerman

• 11-26-2011 4:11 PM In reply to

Any help at all guys.  Feel free to offer any solutions.  I am now watching tv on my computer, how depresssing.  

Carl Sheerman

• 11-26-2011 4:27 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Sounds a bit like a spot of bad news.

My guess is a power surge has blown the micro.  New power supply unit required if that's the case - and hopefully it hasn't fried anything else if it got past it whilst doing so.

Sorry, but it not powering up and playing dead points to this.  

Sad

PS - Please understand i'm not an engineer though and could well be wrong.  I speak from experience, not training! 

• 11-26-2011 4:30 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

One more thing to mention to anyone on here is that the the LCD's are notoriously flaky when it comes to power surges.  You absolutely MUST have a surge protector on each Bang & Olufsen LCD TV in your home.

It cost me around £5,000 in replacement chassis' under warranty before someone dropped that on me.  Since then, not one problem.

Lee

• 11-26-2011 4:38 PM In reply to

Its already attached to a power surge device so it should be mended under warrenty THANKFULLY.

Carl Sheerman

• 11-26-2011 4:40 PM In reply to

Thanks for your advice Lee.  I have already sent an email to my shop

Carl Sheerman

• 11-26-2011 5:07 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

No problem.  I'm only sorry i couldn't have said 'oh yeah, just press  this secret button and you're sorted' ...

I'm sure your dealer will look after you - but it's still a pain. Sad

Let us know what the issue was though.  That way we can refer to this in future!

Have a good weekend aside from the TV breaking wind and following through.. Erm

Lee

• 11-26-2011 5:10 PM In reply to

This may well differ in other countries, but in the US, homeowner's insurance is usually very good about covering lightning strikes and other power surges. The warranties attached to the surge protectors have proved less reliable.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 11-26-2011 5:16 PM In reply to

I will let you all know what happens after they visit or reply.  I'm keen to get to the end of this believe me.

Thanks guys and lets hope it something inside the tv gone thats under warrenty

Carl Sheerman

• 11-26-2011 5:19 PM In reply to

9 LEE:

One more thing to mention to anyone on here is that the the LCD's are notoriously flaky when it comes to power surges.  You absolutely MUST have a surge protector on each Bang & Olufsen LCD TV in your home.

Lee,

Is it just LCD tv's that need the surge protection device? Or would you recommend it for other sets such as BV5, Avant, MX stuff as well?

Would you recommend any particular surge protector brand/type?

Thanks,

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 11-26-2011 5:40 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Is this where i put on my disclaimer hat and say 'all electrical appliances etc etc..' !! 

I've found the BV5 (bless that TV and all who sail in her.. an absolute legend) and the CRT's to be utterly bulletproof in these cases.  You'd need to hook one of these up to the national grid and ram a screwdriver between the pins to make them hiccup.

No, it's the LCD's who are the veritable Bambi's of the surge world.

Lee

• 11-26-2011 6:11 PM In reply to

Lol,

Ahhh thats alright then, luvly jubbly - I'll only worry bout that then if I ever get round to changing my mx4000 for a BV6 then ~ I do keep thinkin about doing this ~ but I just like my 4000 so much that I can never seem to be arsedWink

Thanks for that fella

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 11-27-2011 6:29 AM In reply to

Can I just say that my BV3 died (and my CDX) after our dishwasher caught fire and tripped out the electrics so it can happen. The other bits in the same room were fine and the avant downstairs was ok too.

• 11-27-2011 7:33 AM In reply to

• tompa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-30-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 94
    • Bronze Member

9 LEE:

It cost me around £5,000 in replacement chassis' under warranty before someone dropped that on me.  Since then, not one problem.

Lee

I dit not agree on that, You have much better protection if you install a surge protection in the incoming power central that protect all home

(done by a electrican)

• 11-27-2011 10:44 AM In reply to

I can confirm that it is protected by a Belikin Surge protector which if i think back the guys from the B & O shop fitted when they intially installed the tv. To that end i think i am bullet proof but i shall find out tomorrow whe i call them. If i get screwed i will be disgusted and will not be able to purchase or indeed get it mended as cash is very tight at the moment.  If this happens i will rethink my devotion to the B & O brand.

Wish me luck guys.

Carl Sheerman

• 11-27-2011 11:14 AM In reply to

• tompa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-30-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 94
    • Bronze Member

Carl Sheerman:

I can confirm that it is protected by a Belikin Surge protector which if i think back the guys from the B & O shop fitted when they intially installed the tv. To that end i think i am bullet proof but i shall find out tomorrow whe i call them. If i get screwed i will be disgusted and will not be able to purchase or indeed get it mended as cash is very tight at the moment.  If this happens i will rethink my devotion to the B & O brand.

Wish me luck guys.

It doesn´t matter which brand you buy if you have lightning strikes it´s a matter of luck if your equipment last, but can say that surge protection device like belkin or other brand that are installed in wall outlet near device are NOT good enough! the maybe help a little

So install a professional surge protection in incoming electrical of house and then done that you can maybe complete with belkin or other device near equpiment

• 11-28-2011 12:33 PM In reply to

Well guys i spoke with the B & O shop today and found out that my TV was only guarenteed for 2 years and not 4 as i suggested, GUTTED.  I have just spoken to my service guy Paul who seems to think its the power supply and possible the EPROM that may need to be replaced at a cost of around £380 - £500.  He intially said the chassis but he said it sounds like the above power circuit board and eprom that need to be replaced.  This is still a shock but is much less than i though which is a godsend but its gonna leave me short for xmas.  He is asking B & O for advice now and hopefully this can be resolved is a short period of time.  So much for the Surge protector but i will wait to see what he says when he comes around.

Hope my family will be happy with just cards this year lol.

Carl Sheerman

• 12-01-2011 4:02 PM In reply to

Guys i have a great update for you. The B & O guy from the Exeter store called Paul called me yesterday and he came out and fixed 2 new circuit boards into the TV and it cost me nothing.  He himself contcted B & O and informed them that the guarantee had indeed run out but that i was a valued B & O customer for quite some years and they stumped up the repairs for nothing.  

This is what makes B & O second to none in my books and re-installs my faith in the B & O brand.  What a great outcome.  I was also told by Paul that the manager of the B & O store at Exeter has spoken to B & O direct about my guarantee possibly extending it.

I am now viewing my TV with enjoyment and my family can breath as they will now get xmas presents LOL. 

Carl Sheerman

• 12-02-2011 2:11 AM In reply to

• valve1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 213
    • Gold Member

Carl Sheerman:
    This is what makes B & O second to none
    Thats a fantastic result and major brownie points too B&O !

However I really wonder at the protection these surge protection devices really afford.

• 12-02-2011 5:31 AM In reply to

valve1:
    However I really wonder at the protection these surge protection devices really afford.

Better than nothing, but you really shouldn't need any if the power system is up to snuff. I could go out now and ask people if they even know what a "surge protector" might be, and probably 2 out of 100 might have any idea, and this is a sparsely populated country. I can understand it might be different in countries where the power grid is based on spider webs spun across the streets, but over here a "power surge" of any significance isn't likely unless you live in the countryside, served by aerial power cabling. Lightning damage to computer network appliances caused by overvoltages coming over the telephone cabling is much more common.

I'm aware many protector manufacturers offer compensation for damage - but I've yet to hear first hand of anybody getting any, ever. Either they work really well, or there's nothing to be protected from Smile

I agree having proper industrial protectors installed at the power distribution of the building is a much better idea than sprinkling plastic boxes around the rooms. Also, one should consider whether it's really worth the trouble and cost or would it be more sensible to just get adequate insurance coverage. I'm inclined on the latter, as no protector will hold if you get a lightning strike close enough.

-mika

• 12-02-2011 8:38 AM In reply to

tournedos:

I'm aware many protector manufacturers offer compensation for damage - but I've yet to hear first hand of anybody getting any, ever. Either they work really well, or there's nothing to be protected from Smile

Belkin UK's website quite clearly states the terms of it's warranty on surge protectors,and the level of compensation which ranges from 25000 Euros to unlimited depending on the level of protection chosen.

• 12-05-2011 5:59 PM In reply to

I have asked the shop if they can find out if it was a fuze issue or if it was something else just to be sure but nothing else that was plugged into the surge protecter was affected.  To that end i have now purchased another more expensive protector for the future in adddition to the one already running.  As for a proper industrial protector i may think about this when i move to my new apartment which will be within the next couple of months.  Either way i am still chuffed that B & O mended it for nothing.

Carl Sheerman

Page 1 of 1 (24 items)