in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-17-2011 8:09 AM by IngvarW. 113 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (114 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-30-2011 4:31 PM In reply to

Re: Beo6 wifi with Beosound 5

Why don't it work with the encore???

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 11-30-2011 4:59 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Places my order as well.

Should have it Friday.

Finally!

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 11-30-2011 6:22 PM In reply to

Lucky you!  my dealer says around two weeks.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 11-30-2011 8:31 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Call Dallas b&o. Ask for aaron

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 11-30-2011 8:36 PM In reply to

Thanks. I already ordered it from my regular dealer who provides me with great service. Maybe it will come sooner than they estimated.

• 11-30-2011 10:07 PM In reply to

• PentaIII
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-26-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

bayerische:

Wonder if it's some kind of hardware issue or in their wisdom they don't want to sell more beo6 controllers?

• 12-01-2011 8:56 AM In reply to

Already I could download? from where?

thanks

• 12-01-2011 11:56 AM In reply to

bayerische:

Whilst Encore is standalone today, its a starting point for future systems. Below is a chart showing the main differences

BeoSound 5/BeoMaster 5

BeoSound 5 Encore

Two-way browsing of content with Beo6

Not implemented

Control play with smartphone Apps

Not implemented

Unicode support

Not implemented

Not implemented

PIN code protection

Not implemented

Headphone socket

Not implemented

Connection to  USB storage devices

Master Link enabled and able to participate in full

integrated Beolink system

Stand-alone solution

Home Automation through the Master Link Gateway

Not implemented

Integrated storage

External storage or via storage unit

Web and Photo browsing on TV

Not implemented

Synchronisation of music with BeoConnect

Music is on external NAS

Use wireless dongle and set it up in Service Menu

Easy connection to wireless (auto or WPS) via

built-in wireless module

Line-in through external USB-to-Phono audio adapter

Line-in directly

Regards Keith....

• 12-01-2011 12:11 PM In reply to

Hi Keith,

what do you mean by "its a starting point for future system" do you think the encore will be able to use this feature in the future or do you think the encore will be stand alone and never use this ( which would be very disappointing ) ...

Bests regards

Stephan

• 12-01-2011 2:25 PM In reply to

Stephan,

It is certainly a standalone product at present, but just like when B&O introduced the Masterlink, subsequently they brought out the Masterlink to datalink converter (eg 1611) to link the old to the new.

I am informed that they intend to produce a Network Link to MasterLink converter which when available will make the Encore able to link into the Masterlink configuration.

Regards Keith....

• 12-01-2011 5:42 PM In reply to

For me the main benefit of the WIFI enabled Beo6 is the ability to select music on my BS5/BM5 from a link room. As the Encore cannot be used in link rooms there is no value apart from not having to get up from you chair.  

• 12-01-2011 11:51 PM In reply to

• PentaIII
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-26-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

sjmcguckin:

For me the main benefit of the WIFI enabled Beo6 is the ability to select music on my BS5/BM5 from a link room. As the Encore cannot be used in link rooms there is no value apart from not having to get up from you chair.  

I think the value in not having to get up to select a new artist is extremely valuable and I honestly can't see having this capability enabled on the Encore will cannibalise sales from the BS5/Ugly Box version.  The younger generation looking at buying the entry level Encore have come to expect such integration, and upselling beo6 couldn't hurt right?

• 12-02-2011 1:22 AM In reply to

Encore was the B&O solution I was looking at to replace the library solution I have now. But not having the Beo6 2-way, I'm not going to look anymore.

Sad sad sad...

Oh well. Embarrassed

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-02-2011 7:46 AM In reply to

In my opinion, B&O has put themselves in a very awkward position. The price point for the BeoSound 5/BeoMaster 5 was far too high, and B&O recognized this. Therefore, they introduced the Encore at a much more attractive pricepoint. Yet, they're not prepared to ADMIT that the BeoMaster 5 solution is overpriced and unnecessary. Giving the Encore all of the same features of the BeoMaster 5 solution would make it difficult for B&O to defend their price of the BeoMaster 5 solution.

• 12-02-2011 8:40 AM In reply to

The Encore is designed as a stand alone product, at this point. Thus the typical use for it will have the Encore in the same room as the speakers and further the unit could be placed in the most desirable/accessible location. The BS5/BM5 is designed to provide music in multiple rooms, thus the need for two way control when in the rooms where the Beosound 5 is not located. 

I have now ordered a Beo 6 and expect that it will almost always be in the room where the Beosound 5 is NOT located. If I am in the room where the Beosound 5 is I will use it to select music. 

B and O may have had similar thinking.

• 12-02-2011 9:19 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

The Encore isn't designed as a stand alone at this point. It is, for want of other compatible products as of yet, a stand alone product. It is designed to be compatible with future products via beonet and future and existing products (some, plus other brands) through WiFi. That's not a product designed as a stand alone product at all.

Yes, the limitation right now is that it doesn't have Masterlink. However it does have WiFi, and it does have "Beonet" (ethernet?).

But, yeah, in practice as of right now, it's a stand-alone product - both because of a lack of masterlink, but definately also because of limitations of firmware.

• 12-02-2011 5:58 PM In reply to

interpreting "encore" for me it's: "another one"

so already having a BM5 - the "encore" in a kind of link room to pick up music from the Master and play it/giving a better interface than just having a Beolink active which would do nothing than receiving ir-signals...

if I had the money I would do it this way...

and therefore I do not understand why there is NO 2-way function for the "encore" - would be nice 

regards elmar

• 12-02-2011 9:04 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

I have to say that I don't get the criticism. 2-way on the Beo 6 is meant for use in link rooms for which the BeoSound 5 is the master. Encore can't be the master, you'll always be in its room when listening to it. You can see the screen. That is at bottom the concept.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 12-02-2011 9:30 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

OK, I had to switch from a portable device to a full keyboard.

I almost hate to sound like TripEmglish here; but I won't mind if I seem a bit like Frank Lloyd Wright.  I don't think the failure here is on B&O for not providing some flashy feature that we all think we can't live without, I think it is a failure on the part of the potential client to perceive the vision inherent in the design.  So:

In all of the training for the BeoSound 5, we are told the legend/myth regarding the genesis of it's design.  The man responsible wanted to come home from work, strip off his neck-tie, grab an ice-cold beverage from the fridge, sit down in his favorite chair and navigate his entire music library without ever putting his drink down.  

So simple; but for this discussion the key issue is not 'never putting his drink down' it is 'sit down in his favorite chair.'  The BS-5/Encore controller is not seen as a thing on the credenza on the far side of the room, no: that big, beautiful 11" screen is meant to be right in front of you, falling easily, naturally, to hand, it is the remote.  Hi-Fi, having shed the need for physical media, now sheds the need for a seperate palayer and control, they become one.  For the $1,200USD so many of you are willing to pay for a superfluous remote control, you can pay someone to bury the necessary cables to bring the BeoSound 5/Encore to you.  Where it belongs.  Whre it was intended to be.

In a link room?  Now you need a Beo 6.  Or another Encore; properly placed.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 12-02-2011 10:05 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Russ:
    I have to say that I don't get the criticism. 2-way on the Beo 6 is meant for use in link rooms for which the BeoSound 5 is the master. Encore can't be the master, you'll always be in its room when listening to it. You can see the screen. That is at bottom the concept.

I'm sorry, but being able to select a track or a radio station with remote is hardly something that is only useful in a link room.  Look at what is out there. Personally, I find such a thing quite useful, and I use it when I don't want to get up from my chair/couch. And, no, a BS5 for each seating position is hardly an elegant solution.

Russ:
    almost hate to sound like TripEmglish here; but I won't mind if I seem a bit like Frank Lloyd Wright.  I don't think the failure here is on B&O for not providing some flashy feature that we all think we can't live without, I think it is a failure on the part of the potential client to perceive the vision inherent in the design.  So:

Ridiculous. The fact that the BS5 Encore doesn't have two-way communication yet, nor can be connected to anything via Beonet yet, doesn't mean that those limitations suddenly becomes "visionary". There's a reason B&O put a beonet plug on it, there's a reason they put wifi on it.

Russ:
    So simple; but for this discussion the key issue is not 'never putting his drink down' it is 'sit down in his favorite chair.'  The BS-5/Encore controller is not seen as a thing on the credenza on the far side of the room, no: that big, beautiful 11" screen is meant to be right in front of you, falling easily, naturally, to hand, it is the remote.

Utter nonsense and apologetics.  I have several seating positions, and I don't want a BS5 every place I am. If that thing is considered "the remote" as you put it, I might as well use an iPod*. At least that would give me more freedom when it comes to seating.

Seriously, claiming a remote is "superfluous" is utter nonsense.

*And I really don't like iPods.

• 12-02-2011 11:25 PM In reply to

Russ's comments make complete sense. I just ordered a Beo 6 to use in my second room. Before ordering it I discussed with my dealer exactly the scenario Russ describes. I considered buying an Encore instead of the Beo 6 and placing it next to my primary sitting position in the second room. And yes, it was my idea, not a suggestion from my dealer.

• 12-03-2011 7:41 AM In reply to

I would have liked to have seen the Encore as a true linkroom extension of the master. By this, I mean that I would like the Encore to be able to access and control the audio master from a link room as other link room products do. It would be nice to leave the speakers on in the living room, walk into the bedroom or den, have the Encore on the wall of that link room, and extend what is playing into that link room. Perhaps this will be a funciton added in the future? While being able to play different music in different rooms can appeal to a family with different music tastes, I've always liked the concept of B&O having the music "follow" one throughout the home. I'm sure that many will say that that is exactly what the Beo6 is for. Still, I would be willing to pay the cost of an Encore to have the BeoSound 5 screen and interface available as an elegant control panel mounted in link rooms.

• 12-03-2011 9:08 AM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

@ electrified, who wrote:

"Ridiculous. The fact that the BS5 Encore doesn't have two-way communication yet, nor can be connected to anything via Beonet yet, doesn't mean that those limitations suddenly becomes "visionary". There's a reason B&O put a beonet plug on it, there's a reason they put wifi on it."

So what is the reason?

• 12-03-2011 9:16 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I have one overriding issue with the BS5 which was not addressed by the Encore (for obvious reasons). Both are tethered by cables!

The whole BS5 should have been a wireless controller from day one, a 21st century MCP. The Beo6 is a nice addition for link rooms but the main room BS5 should have been transportable to your listening position, you should be able to use it on your lap, on the chair arm or beside you on the sofa. You should be able to pass it to family or friends etc.

I suspect many will find the BS5 becoming redundant with the introduction of 2-way comms which will be a real shame, but why would you want to leave your seat to change an album if you don't have to?

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-03-2011 1:07 PM In reply to

In my opinion the BS5 is nothing else than a nonportable remote for the BM5.

So can I use the Beo6 WiFi with the BM5 and WITHOUT BS5? If so, can anybody tell me the sense of BS5??

/Räuber
Page 3 of 5 (114 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >