in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-25-2011 7:16 AM by techtrino. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-22-2011 6:14 PM

Masterlink vs. cat7

Hi Guys

I want to connect my bv8-40 and bs4 to a bs2000 in my kitchen, this requires about 30 meters of wire and a few holes drilled etc, so I would prefer to make this as futureproof as possible.

Cat7 I can put plugs on myself etc and the cable is quite cheap compared to masterlink cable. Can I use Cat7 and then from a masterlink junktion box simply put in a premade masterlink to masterlink cable to the source and to the bs2000?

Are there any guides etc? and any comments on if this is a good solution?

Filed under:
  • 11-22-2011 6:45 PM In reply to

• Nio
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-01-2011
    • Posts 61
    • Bronze Member

Re: Masterlink vs. cat7

yes

google Cat7 New B&onet handbook

will give you a complete guide

• 11-22-2011 8:48 PM In reply to

Hi

I have used CAT7 and also CAT6 in lieu and place of ML Cable... The results were the same. The runs were relatively short, none longer than 7 meters.  I sincerely think that ScTP (Screened Twisted Pair) would work in all but the most severely RF polluted environments... To be on the safe side use CAT7, relatively inexpensive and frankly was overkill for the application... Even if one would consider Video and/or multiple Digital streams...

CAT 5 carries Hi Def video quite easily, let alone for CAT 7 .. This is as future-proof as it gets .. :)

lesly

• 11-23-2011 2:31 AM In reply to

I have a ML-Network throughout my house all run on a passive (NO switches, hubs,...) CAT5e, CAT6 and CAT7 wires. The mix comes from different timings...

From the RJ45 wall socket I use RJ45 to Masterlink cables, that my B&O dealer made for me. These cables are inexpensive and much more flexible than working with ML Junction boxes.

BeoVision 8-40 / BeoVision 8-32 / Beovision 6-26 / BeoSound 3200 / BeoSound 1 / BeoLab 3 /  Beolab 6000 / Beolab 2000 / Beoport / Beomedia 1 / 3* Beo4 /BeoCom 5 with VOIP

• 11-23-2011 3:09 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

They can also be ordered using the following part numbers:

It is important to understand that you will need some sort of passive hub e.g. a Masterlink Distributor (<100 Euro on ebay...) or -  if only one connection needs to be made - you can patch directly on the patch panel.

Used this with Masterlink with success, Powerlink had some humming noise that I could not get rid off (probably fault on my side, I don't blame the cable).

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 11-23-2011 12:43 PM In reply to

Well this sounds good, only thing, is there a wiering diagram? because there are only 8 wires in cat7 but 9 in masterlink, so what is not connected?

• 11-23-2011 5:14 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-09-2010
    • Last of the Summer Wine Country, Yorkshire, UK
    • Posts 195
    • Gold Member

Can you not use wireless?

Beosound 8, Beotalk 1100, Beocom 4, A8 Headphones, Form 2 Headphones, Apple iPhone 4S, iPod Classic, iPad 1, Sky+ HD, Sony Playstation 3, Jacob Jensen T10, Lutron Rania IR Dual Dimmer/ Accesory dimmer, B+O A9 Keyring (SOLD), Beolit 600 (SOLD), Apple Airport Express, Beo5

• 11-23-2011 5:14 PM In reply to

• Matthew
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Hello Heribert,

Are your CAT5e and CAT6 cables used in your masterlink network shielded or un-shielded?

Regards,

Matthew

• 11-23-2011 6:10 PM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Search the Forum- it does not matter.

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 11-23-2011 7:30 PM In reply to

• Matthew
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Kallasr,

Most of the discussions I had read here on the forum involved shielded cables only. I would have thought that for domestic applications, shielding was not a necessity. And so was looking to see if others had successfully used unshielded cables for ML distribution.

cheers,

Matthew

• 11-23-2011 7:51 PM In reply to

Just delivering Masterlink doesn't need that much. In many cases, I'm sure even CAT5 will do.

But, it has been stressed that the future Beonet - whatever that will be - requires CAT7. I don't think shielding is the decisive factor, it is the general characteristics of the cabling.

So if you want to be future proof and are doing a new install / complete renovation, it would be madness to try and save a little money by installing anything else than CAT7. The price difference is practically zero after you count all the work in.

But if the cables are inside the walls already, I would just try to use it. Replacing anything "just in case" would be equally silly.

-mika

• 11-24-2011 4:31 AM In reply to

Cat5 and cat6 are essentially the same, cat6 is just higher specd, cat6e has shielding but cat7 has each pair individually shielded and is made to even higher spec. Cat7 is the way to go today, but most cat7 cables are thicker, around 8 mm, and much more stiff than their unshielded brothering.

The shield is important, no shield means that the likelihood of interference and hum is much higher, especially with cable runs over 10m.

So I would say buy cat7 and buy Draker or Lapp cable as they are german made high quality cables. They may cost double as the chinese, but are still only a euro or so per meter, so...

Also note if you plan on putting normal connectors on the cable, you need to buy shielded connectors and connectors that can fit the thick cable. Lapp makes some (fm45), but they are hard to find.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for how to connect masterlink to cat7?

• 11-24-2011 6:25 AM In reply to

Hi

I have no idea about the German cables you mention but for the purpose at hands: Masterlink or even the future Beonet, whatever it pans out to be, Cat7 cables from a multitude of brands, including several Made in China would be more than adequate... If it can carry Gigabit Ethernet , it can carry Masterlink

I somewhat cringe at the idea of using 8-pin conductors (improperly called RJ-45) as Powerlink connector but it seems to work for some ... Could be my next project :)

While the original ML cable consisted of 9 conductors, one of these, the White-Bllue one was not used. Besides Beo recommends now Cat7 in lieu of the (expensive and difficult to find) ML cable 

Here is a scheme I used to good results. I got it from a discussion in this very forum, I forgot the thread...Unsure

PAIR

Masterlink

Cat 6/7 STP

Pin on RJ-45

White/Orange

White/Orange

Orange

Orange

White/Green

White/Green

Blue

Blue

Pink

White/Blue

Green

Green

White/Red

White/Brown

Red

Brown

All Shields to

Shield/Screen of STP

Shield on RJ

I have used Cat 6 shielded cable to great results. I have a next project and for that I may use stranded CAT7 cable. much easier to work with solid-conductor Cat7 which is very, very stiff. 

It would pay to implement a structured cabling system in a home. Structured cabling was never meant to only carry Ethernet. a real Structured Cabling system is a passive system meant to carry anything really, Analog and Digital signals of all sorts: Audio , Video, Controls, etc. Cat7 cable is particularly well suited to carry simultaneously various type of signals. It simply makes sense to use it with Mastelink and to be ready for the future Beonet.

• 11-24-2011 12:36 PM In reply to

Hi,

The cables I have within the walls are both - shielded and not shielded. Depending of the timing when installed. For ML sound distribution tis is more than ok.

Heribert

BeoVision 8-40 / BeoVision 8-32 / Beovision 6-26 / BeoSound 3200 / BeoSound 1 / BeoLab 3 /  Beolab 6000 / Beolab 2000 / Beoport / Beomedia 1 / 3* Beo4 /BeoCom 5 with VOIP

• 11-24-2011 12:54 PM In reply to

For Masterlink, the most important thing is that both sides of a balanced signal are carried in the same twisted pair in the cable. If the pairs are split, I'm sure they cabling will pick up all kinds of interference from anything that happens to be nearby (in addition to internal crosstalk). In the chart misteUS posted above, this is done correctly.

The missing signal is Masterlink sense, and leaving it out apparently is no problem to most devices - but I'm sure there are some that won't like it left out.

Masterlink is just baseband audio and very slow (in comparison to any Ethernet standard) data. It'd work over barbed wire if the environment is kind enough...

-mika

• 11-24-2011 2:21 PM In reply to

tournedos:
    It'd work over barbed wire if the environment is kind enough...

B&O is very security conscious ... they give us PIN codes for our HiFi and the ability to tie it down with brabed wire so it can't be removed

Laughing

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-25-2011 7:16 AM In reply to

Thank you guy, now I have all the data I need :)

Regarding brands of cable, then yes even chinese cable will most likely do the trick, however the specs on e.g. lapp is much higher and with the high cobber prices I dont trust the chinese to make cables up to standart, so I would strongly advise on buying German made cables.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)