in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-28-2011 6:40 PM by Piaf. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-21-2011 8:21 PM

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Beocord 8004 Audio Level Meter

I sent my Beocord 8004 out for a repair/adjustment, but during the return shipment, the Beocord was apparently dropped. The Beocord now sounds wonderful and the tape position LED’s all function ….. however the audio level lights no longer function.

Any ideas where to look for the problem that wasn’t there previously?

Jeff

• 11-22-2011 6:33 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beocord 8004 Audio Level Meter

Check for cracked solder joints and/or broken PCB traces.

Martin

• 11-26-2011 11:52 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Hi Martin,

I have not had the time to properly check out my ailing Beocord 8004, but will do so tomorrow.

The solder points I understand but I am not sure what PCB traces are.

The deck was completely refurbished by Bill Rapp, so I have complete confidence that everything was well and was in perfect order when it left his hands.

In transport the 8004 was dropped HARD and I mean HARD! It broke the main assess door hinge in half, which I repaired.

The non-functioning VU meters are another matter. I am hoping to find a loosened connection somewhere.

I managed to acquire a terrific Sony D6C cassette recorder, but I also managed to depress the record button somewhere in transit between work and home. I would like to replace the missing passages, but I need the VU meters on my Beocord 8004 to do so.

Thanks to you I have a flawlessly performing Beocord 9000, so that is not really an issue.

I’ll let you know what I discover, if anything on Sunday.

Jeff

• 11-28-2011 6:40 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Hi Martin,

I found the problem. Smile I was looking for a loose connection and while moving the two circuit boards managed to misalign the five pin connection when putting them back together.

I am guessing that one of the three connections was loose causing the VU meters not to function, but being unaware of the five pin connection between the two boards I must have misaligned them.

Still something of a mystery, but no matter, the deck is now again 100% operational and I am relieved.

I hope that all is well in your world!

Jeff

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)