in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-17-2011 10:57 PM by beojeff. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-15-2011 8:47 AM

using iTunes Match with BeoSound 5

Last night, I used the new iTunes Match service on my music library. While it DOES upgrade music with a quality lower than 256 Kbps with 256 Kbps AAC files from the iTunes Music Store, it keep one's original metadata. What this means it that we can't rely on iTunes Match to clean up our metadata for us prior to loading our music on the BeoSound 5. We still have to spend the time to properly tag our library. I believe this is the same situation for cover art.

While iTunes Match doesn't have an option to download one's entire music library from the cloud, one can acheive this by creating a playlist that includes the entire music library.

• 11-15-2011 9:45 AM In reply to

Re: using iTunes Match with BeoSound 5

These two threads delve a little deeper into how iTunes Match works:

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-15-2011 2:24 PM In reply to

elephant:

These two threads delve a little deeper into how iTunes Match works:

Here is an additional tip on using Smart PlayLists to assist in upgrading the songs in your iTunes library :-)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-15-2011 2:42 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

Wait ... so were you able to get the BeoMaster 5 to see iTunes match music?  I was going to tinker with this some time this week but it sounds like you may have beat me to it!

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 11-15-2011 3:38 PM In reply to

Alex:

Wait ... so were you able to get the BeoMaster 5 to see iTunes match music?  I was going to tinker with this some time this week but it sounds like you may have beat me to it!

No. I was just intersted in the possiblity of using iTunes Match to clean up tags and cover art in preparation for transfer to the BeoMaster 5. However, it doesn't clean up the tags and improve cover art. It only improves lesser quality music files where appropriate.

• 11-15-2011 7:32 PM In reply to

I used the iTunes match on my entire library and it proved to be a disaster.  It is supposed to use the artwork that is in my library and not change anything.  Very wrong!  For many albums, there was no artwork on albums in the cloud and on several, the artwork was changed.  I expect Apple will fix all the problems in time but for now, I turned off the match service.  Most of my albums are ripped from CDs.  I spent a lot of time putting in the artwork and most of the metadata.

The cloud functions work well for email and iPhoto on my Macs and iPhones.  There are still some things about the cloud I don't like but it mostly works.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 11-16-2011 7:36 AM In reply to

Fortunately, I didn't encounter any of those problems. It kept all of my original artwork and tags. However, it took a day and a half to complete. It looks like it matched about 90% of my music. I can definitely see how this would improve my music on the BeoSound 5. Most of my CD rips were ripped many years ago at only 128 kbps. I've been wanting for some time now to completely re-load all of my music onto the BeoMaster 5. As early buyers of the BeoSound 5 remember, the early version of BeoConnect just dumped the entire music library onto the BeoMaster 5 hard drive without organizing it into artist and album folders. The result was a horrible mess that can cause problems because there are so many (tens of thousands) files in one directory.

• 11-16-2011 9:14 AM In reply to

I was following the DAC discussion on another thread which lead me to a site where this was their (current) top story/review !

The site reference did contain a warning that it is a rabbit warren that you can get lost in Laughing

• 11-16-2011 10:32 AM In reply to

elephant:

I was following the DAC discussion on another thread which lead me to a site where this was their (current) top story/review !

The site reference did contain a warning that it is a rabbit warren that you can get lost in Laughing

elephant, That is a terrific article.  It summarizes very well many of the problems.  I learned from the article why some of my albums didn't match properly.  The albums are classical music I purchased in France because they were not available in the US.  I think B&O should wait to see what happens before they support anything like this on Beosound 5.  Amazon and Google have similar music services that are good also.

Unfortunately I am one of those who will buy or try any Apple product.  iTunes match needs more work.  I don't expect much soon due to the fact that Apple personnel in Cupertino will have a lot of time off due to the upcoming US holidays.

• 11-17-2011 8:14 PM In reply to

I just discovered that on the iPad/iPhone BeoPlayer app, the entire music library from the iCloud now shows up and is completely playable from within the BeoPlayer app. Complete with cover art.

• 11-17-2011 9:34 PM In reply to

Not for me ... I had to force a download via my iTunes App ... perhaps this feature is only valid in the USoA ?

• 11-17-2011 10:23 PM In reply to

You mean the net radio stations,  not your itunes content stored on the cloud correct? Ron

My Beo:

Beosound 2500, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 9, Beolab 6002, Beolab 4000, Beolab 4, Beosound 9000 x3, Beosound 5, Beomaster 5 1 TB, Beosound 5 Encore, Beovision 10 46 x 3, 10 40 x 1, Beolink passive zone x 3 w/ beovox 2.  All connected via MLG and an Atlona 8 x 8 matrix HDMI switcher.  Additional non B & O sources: iPort FS-2 x4, Samsung 6700 3D Smart Blu Ray(Pandora, Netflix, Hulu plus,You Tube, many more), Dish HD DVR x2, TVIX HD Slim1, Sonos Zone player 90 (works seamlessly with Anubis.fm, AUPEO!, Deezer, iheartradio, JUKE, Last.fm, MOG, Napster®, Pandora®, Rdio®, Rhapsody®, SiriusXM™ Internet Radio, Spotify®, Stitcher SmartRadio(tm), TuneIn, Wolfgang’s Vault®, and downloads from any service offering DRM-free tracks) , Apple TV, Mac Mini. Lutron Radio Ra 2..... Control via Beo 6, IPhone and IPad.  Yet to come...climate control, energy dashboard, vid conferencing/web cams.

• 11-17-2011 10:32 PM In reply to

elephant:

Not for me ... I had to force a download via my iTunes App ... perhaps this feature is only valid in the USoA ?

You are correct.  For now, iTunes match is only available in the USA.  This is good news for Bang & Olufsen because the brand is not well known in the US and consequently, there probably have been not many downloads of Beoplayer here.  This will give B&O time to fix the problems which are still there.  It won't be long before the iTunes match is deployed elsewhere.  This will happen after Apple works out the agreements with the various music labels in about 80 countries.  Apple will probably do this fairly quickly because they get about $25 USD per subscription on an annual basis.

• 11-17-2011 10:57 PM In reply to

Ron Pruitt:

You mean the net radio stations,  not your itunes content stored on the cloud correct? Ron

I do mean the iTunes content stored on the cloud. The latest BeoPlayer app actually shows not only the net radio stations but also all of one's iTunes Match library stored on the iCloud -- complete with cover art! You can seemlessly click on the tracks to download and play from within the BeoPlayer app. This is actually pretty nice.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)