in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-29-2011 11:24 AM by Toubro. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-10-2011 2:31 PM

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Beo5 direct control of AppleTV and PS3

Is it correct that the Beo5 can be programmed to control the Apple TV and the RE*BL box for the PS3 directly using IR?

If so, does this go for all Beo5's or only a certain range?

If this is possible, I would like to be able to program it myself. I suppose this will be no trouble, if I just have the correct software, which is available elsewhere on the WWW? Smile

• 11-10-2011 7:18 PM In reply to

• EdouardG
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 339
    • Gold Member

Re: Beo5 direct control of AppleTV and PS3

Hi Toubro,

I control my Apple TV 2 and my PS3 slim directly from my beo6.

So I suppose you can do it from your beo5 too.

From your TV you need the Apple Remote PUC and the PS3 RE-BL PUC.

From your Beo5, if you don't have the config tool to do it yourself, ask your dealer to install it in your beo5.

These xml files are already available on the B&O xml files list.

To control the PS3 from the Beo5, you'll need of course a RE-BL module to convert the signal from IR to bluetooth.

That's all you need.

Cheers,

E d o u a r d  G

• Beovision 10-40 Orange MkII / Motorised stand / DVB HD T2/C MkIII
    • Beolab 5 Black
    • Beosound 8 Black
    • Beocom 2 MkII (Polished Alu)
    • Earset 2
    • Earset 3i
    • Form 2 Black
    • Beotime (Alarm Clock)
    • Keyring
    • Beo 6 / Wall charger
    • Beo 4  

°°°°°°°  2nd Prize Draw Winner - November '11 / Beolab 3000 N.O.S  °°°°°°°
  • 11-12-2011 3:30 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Thanks for your reply.

EdouardG:

By the PUC do you mean that your TV is receiving the IR and sending it to the devices?? Or is it because the PUC contains the IR codes??

Beacuse what I'm after is to go around the TV and control the devices via IR directly from the Beo5 to the devices.

• 11-14-2011 6:50 PM In reply to

• Matthew
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Hi Toubro,

Yes - you can directly control the Apple TV and your PS3's IR-to-Blue-Tooth converter with your Beo5.

You will, of course, need the XML files for the commands for each of these devices, along with the Beo5 Config tool to set up your Beo5 to control them.

Cheers,

Matthew

• 11-15-2011 1:52 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Matthew:

Hi Toubro,

Yes - you can directly control the Apple TV and your PS3's IR-to-Blue-Tooth converter with your Beo5.

You will, of course, need the XML files for the commands for each of these devices, along with the Beo5 Config tool to set up your Beo5 to control them.

Cheers,

Matthew

Thank you very much.

Now I know what to wish for this christmas from myself Big Smile

• 11-16-2011 5:48 PM In reply to

• Matthew
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Toubro:

Thank you very much.

You're welcomeSmile

Toubro:

Now I know what to wish for this christmas from myself Big Smile

Provided you understand the path to having your Beo5/6 control 3rd party products directly (and it is a bit involved - but you can find everything you need to know on the forums here), you will not be disappointed with it.

IMHO the Beo5/6 attracts a bit of criticism unnecessarily for both ergonomics and functionality. But I disagree with these criticisms. I find it sits in the hand very comfortably, and using the combination of touch screen, buttons and wheel just with my thumb works extremely well.

I've also programmed mine to control our 3rd party TV directly, an LG DVD player and Apple TV (both hidden away) via a Lintronic box, our BS3200 and our Lutron Grafik Eye lighting controller. One remote to control all those devices, in a way that suits me, and with a unique design - I think that's quite powerful.

Good luck with your Xmas purchase, and if you need any assistance, just ask here.

Cheers,

Matthew

• 11-23-2011 3:56 AM In reply to

• EdouardG
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 339
    • Gold Member

Toubro:

Thanks for your reply.

EdouardG:

By the PUC do you mean that your TV is receiving the IR and sending it to the devices?? Or is it because the PUC contains the IR codes??

Beacuse what I'm after is to go around the TV and control the devices via IR directly from the Beo5 to the devices.

Hello Toubro,

Sorry for the delay ;)

My set-up works like explained in my previous post.

PS3 has a RE-BL X IR receiver (not connected to PUC port) / Apple TV 2 IR receiver connected to BV10 PUC port / Tvix Slim S1 Duo HD connected to BV10 PUC port.

All the PUC codes needed have been installed on the TV and then selected.

XML codes installed on the beo6 so that it can communicate with same language as the 3rd pary devices connected to the TV.

How it works: Every IR codes are emitted from the Beo5/6 to the BV10 IR receiver and then translated/sent to products connected to it.

I didn't try to control the 3rd party devices directly as my B&O dealer advised me not to do.

Cheers

E d o u a r d  G

• Beovision 10-40 Orange MkII / Motorised stand / DVB HD T2/C MkIII
    • Beolab 5 Black
    • Beosound 8 Black
    • Beocom 2 MkII (Polished Alu)
    • Earset 2
    • Earset 3i
    • Form 2 Black
    • Beotime (Alarm Clock)
    • Keyring
    • Beo 6 / Wall charger
    • Beo 4  

°°°°°°°  2nd Prize Draw Winner - November '11 / Beolab 3000 N.O.S  °°°°°°°
  • 11-29-2011 11:24 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Thanks for your replies, guys. I really appreciate to hear from people with experience.

From what I read a lot of people does not use their Beo5, and the person that I bought my BV9 from, actually chose to have a Beo4 delivered with it instead of the Beo5.

The reason why I want it to control my devices directly is because a used Beo5 is cheaper than what my dealer charges to update the PUC codes in my BV9. It sucks that I'm not allowed to do this myself.

Regarding the Beo5 software, I am not that worried, as I see my self as pretty good with computers and electronics, and I have an engineering deegre in electronics. Luckily there's always this great community where I can ask for help, if all else fails Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)