in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-10-2011 3:37 PM by synth. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-10-2011 7:02 AM

• synth
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-31-2011
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Sound delay?

Hi

I was running a DVD1 by fully wired scart to my 8-32 tv, and was using the tvs internal speakers to watch a dvd - all good.

I had the sound output from the DVD1 direct into my existing Pioneer A400 amp and running out to my B&O RL45s

What i found was there appears to be a delay/minor echo when listening to both tv and amp at the same time.

Is this by design? Or is there a delay with sound running through scart to the tv?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,

• 11-10-2011 7:18 AM In reply to

Re: Sound delay?

Flat screen TVs require image processing, which causes a delay in the picture. The TV should compensate that with a similar audio delay for its own speakers.

This delay is missing from the signal that leaves the DVD1, so it will reach the speakers a tiny bit earlier. I don't know these particular devices, but many AV amps have a delay setting that could be used for this. Alternatively, there might be a way to route the audio through the TV as well, which might fix the issue.

Otherwise I don't think there's much else you can do than mute the TV. The delay error is probably around 1/25 sec (one full video frame) which is rarely noticeable enough to be annoying.

-mika

• 11-10-2011 7:27 AM In reply to

• synth
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-31-2011
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Yes i did consider whether the tv might be the cause of the delay, as the processing overhead time makes sense.

The delay is noticeable and it sounds echo-ey as a result - great for action sequences, but bad for spoken word.

I might use the AV3 input and use the red-white-yellow connectors and maybe somehow connect the amp as well to these inputs, but I'd be worried about either overloading the DVD player or messing up the imput impedance of the tv.

WHat I'm not sure about is how you could grab the sound as it comes out of the tv by one of the AV inputs/outputs. Any ideas?

Yes a AV amp might take care of all this, but at this rate, my AV set up is fast become an expensive hobby if I have to start replacing stuff.?

Thoughts?

Cheers

• 11-10-2011 8:19 AM In reply to

Yes, I'm sure the echo is annoying - what I meant with 'not noticeable' was the situation if you mute the speakers on the TV, and only listen to the external speakers.

Don't bother with the AV3 trick... it would be technically OK, but won't change the delay issue at all. In addition, the TV would get only composite video from the DVD instead of RGB through the SCART, and the picture quality would suffer a lot.

I'm not too familiar with the details of BV8, but from a quick glance it seems to have Powerlink outputs for external speakers. You could easily connect your Pioneer to those. As a nice side effect the volume of the external speakers would change along with the TV, and you could listen to program from the TV's tuner as well.

However, I'm not 100% positive that would fix the delay issue. Hopefully someone else (with Beolabs connected to an 8-32) can confirm it before you go and purchase the adapter cables! Smile

-mika

• 11-10-2011 8:36 AM In reply to

• akoro
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • Espoo, Finland
    • Posts 88
    • Gold Member

synth:

WHat I'm not sure about is how you could grab the sound as it comes out of the tv by one of the AV inputs/outputs. Any ideas?

Yes a AV amp might take care of all this, but at this rate, my AV set up is fast become an expensive hobby if I have to start replacing stuff.?

Thoughts?

Cheers

You could try to assign AV2 as a V.MEM and get audio-out from scart socket to your amp. So just disconnect white and red audio cables from DVD1 and connect them to AV2 connector with scart-adapter that has audio-out.

I would not recommend connecting PowerLink to your amp as you would need to turn the volume from the amp to almost maximum and then you will for sure accidently change the source in the amp and get blown with full volume.

Ideal solution would be ML/MCL converter (or BeoLink Passive) connected to PowerLink and your speakers being amplified by it. And then go for BeoSound 3000/3200/4/5 or similar music system to gain music sources.

• 11-10-2011 10:16 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

akoro:

synth:

Thoughts?

Cheers

You could try to assign AV3 as a V.MEM and get audio-out from scart socket to your amp. So just disconnect white and red audio cables from DVD1 and connect them to AV3 connector with scart-adapter that has audio-out.

I would not recommend connecting PowerLink to your amp as you would need to turn the volume from the amp to almost maximum and then you will for sure accidently change the source in the amp and get blown with full volume.

Ideal solution would be ML/MCL converter (or BeoLink Passive) connected to PowerLink and your speakers being amplified by it. And then go for BeoSound 3000/3200/4/5 or similar music system to gain music sources.

I don`t think AV3 - V.MEM solution will help, because AV3 output socket should be before the delay stage of the BV8.

I would connect the Pioneer via Powerlink. Maybe to a normal source input - this works in my setup with a BM7000, or to poweramp input of the Pioneer if there is one. In this way you can control volume for all speakers with your Beoremote...

Stefan

• 11-10-2011 10:31 AM In reply to

• akoro
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • Espoo, Finland
    • Posts 88
    • Gold Member

stefan:

I don`t think AV3 - V.MEM solution will help, because AV3 output socket should be before the delay stage of the BV8.

I would connect the Pioneer via Powerlink. Maybe to a normal source input - this works in my setup with a BM7000, or to poweramp input of the Pioneer if there is one. In this way you can control volume for all speakers with your Beoremote...

Stefan

Did you look at the service manual? IMHO all audio will go into audio matrix and then fed back to scart socket and amplifier/PL socket.

So again, it's worth to try to get the audio from AV2 scart socket.

• 11-10-2011 10:56 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

-Did you look at the service manual?-

No.

-IMHO all audio will go into audio matrix and then fed back to scart socket and amplifier/PL socket.-

Yes maybe. But IMHO this would make no sense, as the V.MEM scart is a recording out, and a delayed audio would cause the recording to be out of (lip) sync....(?) 

-So again, it's worth to try to get the audio from scart socket.-

Sure, worth a try.

Stefan

• 11-10-2011 3:37 PM In reply to

• synth
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-31-2011
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Hi all,

Lots of great ideas. I'll give them a try and report back.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)