in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-13-2007 10:28 AM by Jandyt. 62 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-11-2007 5:51 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Wednesdays (again)!

andyp:
    Puncher, I have tried to reply to your earlier post but it has been halted, to be approved by a moderator (?)...Don't quite agree with your conclusion about Punk origins, did actually originate from New York in the mid 70's with The Ramones and Suicide, along with the zine 'Punk', which gave the music its tag. Also Cabaret Voltaire were not regarded as a punk band; they termed their early 'music' as Noise Engineering (basically taped noise from Sheffield, looped to beat); their sound only developed after Chris Watson saw Kraftwerk live, to the musicality displayed with 'Nag Nag Nag'. NME's first interview with the Cabs even quoted them as 'Englands Kraftwerk'...

I concur entirely! - I made no comment about the origin of punk music! I think you missed the word "post" as in "post punk" in my entrySmile

Also my comment regarding Cabaret Voltaire and Kraftwerk was meant to be  tounge in cheek.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-11-2007 5:56 PM In reply to

• andyp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Peak District, UK
    • Posts 57
    • Bronze Member

Regarding Medogsfat's entry: I'm sorry, I love British music but this is just Rose tinted spectacles! Sorry Chris. Only a few US artist to be classed as influential...ha! I won't go into all the influences American music has been responsible, but heres a few (and some that didn't even make the artist much money!): Derrick May / Kenny Larkin / Juan Atkins: developed Detroit techno, blueprint for all current electronic chart acts, including Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk etc; Labradford / Smyglyssna / John Hughes / Drexiya: developed IDM, influenced current Warp / Ninja Tunes / Vertical Form leftfield electronic label acts; Nirvana / Pearl Jam / Rage Against The Machine / Red Hot Chilli Peppers influencing current Indie rock; Beastie Boys / MF Doom / De La Soul / Wu Tang Clan influencing current Hip Hop  / Trip Hop acts. This doesn't even start to investigate The Beach Boys and Stevie Wonders influence on current UK artists such as Ian Brown, John Squires, etc... I think you get my point...I'll get my coat!
  • 07-11-2007 6:46 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

bang1:
    Thanks :) yes and I can see, that if I white many times, that I'll win first price. it's actually happens Big Smile (jandyt)

LaughingLaughingLaughing
    Three of our top posters are on the Spanish forum and didn't win this time. Just coincidence.
    So glad you went for gold, I'd like to think my incessant drivel was instrumental in your decision.Yes

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-11-2007 6:48 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I assume no one died on Corrie then??

• 07-11-2007 7:00 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Puncher:

I used to watch Corrie religiously (and i don't mean i used to wear a cassock sitting in front of the TV) - but now i've totally lost interest!

Don't get me started on EastEnders though! - If you paid them a pound a smile, you'd have change from a fiver after 20 episodes!

Indifferent 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-11-2007 7:05 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

9 LEE:
    Puncher:

I used to watch Corrie religiously (and i don't mean i used to wear a cassock sitting in front of the TV) - but now i've totally lost interest!

Don't get me started on EastEnders though! - If you paid them a pound a smile, you'd have change from a fiver after 20 episodes!

Indifferent 

I neglected to say earlier that I include soaps with Jungle, Brother, Factors!

• 07-12-2007 2:25 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

andyp:
    Regarding Medogsfat's entry: I'm sorry, I love British music but this is just Rose tinted spectacles! Sorry Chris. Only a few US artist to be classed as influential...ha! I won't go into all the influences American music has been responsible, but heres a few (and some that didn't even make the artist much money!): Derrick May / Kenny Larkin / Juan Atkins: developed Detroit techno, blueprint for all current electronic chart acts, including Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk etc; Labradford / Smyglyssna / John Hughes / Drexiya: developed IDM, influenced current Warp / Ninja Tunes / Vertical Form leftfield electronic label acts; Nirvana / Pearl Jam / Rage Against The Machine / Red Hot Chilli Peppers influencing current Indie rock; Beastie Boys / MF Doom / De La Soul / Wu Tang Clan influencing current Hip Hop  / Trip Hop acts. This doesn't even start to investigate The Beach Boys and Stevie Wonders influence on current UK artists such as Ian Brown, John Squires, etc... I think you get my point...I'll get my coat!

This is what I love most about these threads - everyone has their own theories & takes on things and we could argue until the cows come home. Big Smile

Can't agree with you on The Beastie Boys though - although I do quite like some of their stuff.Stick out tongue

Viva la difference!!!

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 07-12-2007 3:04 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Puncher:

jandyt:

Slightly off topic (What topic?) but can I just run this by you, you being such an intelligent and knowledgeable chap?
    If I could run faster than the speed of light and I were to take a photo' of Pendle Hill then run as quick as I could and stand on Pendle, posing,would I be on the photo'?

Andy T. 

Good one! - If you could (and according to Albert you can't) then it would depend on how much faster you could run and how far the camera was from the hill (if speed/time/distance relationships were linear - but they're not - my physics teacher told me so! Unless you know different??Tongue Tied)

jandyt:

Sorry mate, you're way off. It wouln't depend on any of those factors.
    Think about where the light that entered the lens came from and when.

Since I'm being nice to you tonight, I'll put you out of your misery.
    First you have to pose on Pendle then run faster than the speed of light therefore overtaking the light reflected of your person. Turn round quick and take the photo'.
    If you ran a bit too quick you might have to wait a little while before pressing the shutter.

Andy T.

Right - I've thought about this again in the cold, hard (non-McEwans fuelled) light of day!

Given - jandyt, using his superpowers, can run faster than light, the speed of light is fixed and the camera needs a finite exposure time, then

your relative speed and the distance of the camera from the hill are both factors as SuperJ would need to run fast enough and far enough to get a big enough lead in front of the last packet of light leaving his stationary self on top of the hill so the that film can be exposed without the picture being blurred.Laughing

• 07-12-2007 5:59 AM In reply to

• andyp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Peak District, UK
    • Posts 57
    • Bronze Member

Best start of a debate for ages!

The Beastie's are influential due to bringing Rap / Hip Hop to the white market...marking the way for Eminem, then the following UK artists such as Dizzee Rascal, Just Jack et al...

Andy

• 07-12-2007 6:51 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

andyp:

The Beastie's are influential due to bringing Rap / Hip Hop to the white market...marking the way for Eminem, then the following UK artists such as Dizzee Rascal, Just Jack et al...

Andy

But was this really progress????Indifferent

• 07-12-2007 7:38 PM In reply to

• joynsyde
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-09-2007
    • Midwest, U.S.A.
    • Posts 130
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:
    andyp:

Andy

But was this really progress????Indifferent

LOL. I agree. Seems more like regress to me--intellectually, socially, melodically, rhythmically, the list goes on...  Change does not necessarily equal progress! 

...my two cents ~AJ
  • 07-12-2007 10:16 PM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

bang1:
    Thanks :) yes and I can see, that if I white many times, that I'll win first price. it's actually happens Big Smile (jandyt)

Sorry for the late reply: 

Smile Stick out tongue It is not how much you write but what you write.  Laughing Wink Examples:

Re:  Don't keep Beoworld a secret! [6/30, 4:05]

Every thing I sell on eBay has a link to Beoworld on it and always will (unless I don't win a white 7000 tomorrow) ...

Andy T.

Re:  Almost time!!! [6/29, 23:21]

... if you win this lovely white 7000 system, I'm going to come round there and hit you ...

Andy T.

It is me mate, "Andy the Intimidator"!  Angry Super Angry

Big Smile Laughing

• 07-13-2007 10:28 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

LaughingLaughingLaughing
    Absolutely brilliant post Wings!
    It must have taken you ages to compile that.
    I have tears running down my face now.

Must dash now, I have to plan where I'm going to put a Beocom2, two Beocom 6000s and a Beocom4!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

Page 3 of 3 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3