in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-07-2011 7:02 AM by mhw. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-05-2011 10:29 AM

Products supporting Beosound 5

I ran across these two links. The first link mentions added support for the Beosound 5. 

http://vortexbox.org/

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 11-05-2011 1:54 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Re: Products supporting Beosound 5

What Exactly does the vortexbox do?

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 11-05-2011 10:27 PM In reply to

mjmedlo:
    What Exactly does the vortexbox do?

just what the website link says it does ... but to translate you download some software that turns an old PC into a media server ...

About VortexBox

VortexBox is a free, open source (GPL v3), quick-install ISO that turns your unused computer into an easy-to-use music server/jukebox. Once VortexBox has been loaded on an unused PC, it will automatically rip CDs to FLACand MP3 files, ID3 tag the files , and download the cover art. Vortexbox will then serve the files to network  media players such as Logitech Squeezebox, Sonos, or Linn. The music files can also be streamed to a Windows or Mac OSX system.

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-05-2011 10:49 PM In reply to

And how does that media server work with the Beosound 5? What is being referred to when it says latest software update includes support for Beosound 5?

• 11-05-2011 10:57 PM In reply to

Razlaw:
    And how does that media server work with the Beosound 5? What is being referred to when it says latest software update includes support for Beosound 5?

The BS5 Encore's specs say:

Digital music and network player (from UPnP server, USB hard disk, computer or BeoSound 5/BeoMaster 5)

The link you posted states (and also explains on one of the pages) that it supports DLNA which is built on top of UPnP.

So I suspect that to the BS5E it just looks like a networked drive, but from a management perspective you have its own user interface and functions as wellas the ability to rip from the CD that is in the old PC you have re-purposed to become this box ... errr media centre

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-06-2011 1:14 AM In reply to

That makes sense, however, 1. The web page refers to a Beosound 5, not a Beosound 5 Encore, which of course could easily just be a typo or misidentification, and 2. Based on what the Beosound 5 Encore is I do not understand why a software update would have been neccessary to enable the product to support the Beosound 5 Encore. I thought the Beosound 5 Encore was designed to work with virtually any music source, NAS, computer, etc?

• 11-06-2011 7:43 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Thank you for the smug response.

However, I assume that my beomaster 5 serves as the server for my beosound 5.

I assume this box works for the bs5 encore?

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 11-06-2011 9:22 PM In reply to

My confusion about how Vortexbox now "supports" the Beosound 5 is predicated on the fact that there are two products on the Vortexbox web page. A piece of hardware and software.

Vortexbox 1.0 is software. It is the September 7, 2011 update of this that says support was added for the Beosound 5. Vortexbox is described on the web page as a "free open source." 

Vortexbox Appliance is the piece of hardware that can be purchased and is described on the web page as "a hardware platform specifically for running VortexBox." 

mjmedlo if you thought my respone to your question was smug I apologize. I was not trying to be smug nor was I trying to answer your question. I am just wondering the same as you are.

• 11-07-2011 5:07 AM In reply to

Razlaw:
    mjmedlo if you thought my respone to your question was smug I apologize. I was not trying to be smug nor was I trying to answer your question. I am just wondering the same as you are.

It's OK Razlaw, I think he was pointing a finger at me

• 11-07-2011 7:02 AM In reply to

• mhw
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-29-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 207
    • Gold Member

Razlaw:
      Based on what the Beosound 5 Encore is I do not understand why a software update would have been neccessary to enable the product to support the Beosound 5 Encore.

Well, it shouldn't be necessary, since they both support UPnP/DLNA ... But my experience tells me that the implementation often varies slightly between products. So even though products support the same standard, it isn't obvious that they will work 100% together. 

So my guess is that they tried the Beosound 5 and founds some bugs which they have fixed in the new update...

Razlaw:
    And how does that media server work with the Beosound 5?

I believe the Beosound 5 can connect to UPnP-servers and stream music from them (just like you can stream music which is stored on an iPhone to the Beousound via an app).

But it's definitive more useful on the Encore!

Magnus

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)