in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-01-2011 7:18 PM by synth. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-31-2011 7:26 PM

• synth
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-31-2011
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Running DVD1 from Beovision 8-32?

Howdy,

I have an 8-32 and an older DVD1   dvd player that I am using via s-video into my old Sony flat screen tv.

Now that I have the BV8, I managed to get the DVD1 to play through AV3 using component input rather than scart. And yes it was rather enjoyable.

I'm still getting my head around what you can and cant do with B&O gear ( is there a good resource for compatbility? ) and how one bit integrates with other bits, so would I be right in thinking that I could connect the DVD1 to the AV3 scart connection, and be able to use the Beo4 remote to control the DVD1 as well, or is the DVD1 be too old to do this with please?

B&O isnt exactly forthcoming with backward compatibility, or perhaps I've been looking in the worng spots for answers. I dont like to bug dealers with tech questions  -  I'm trying to set up my home with B&O gear so I have a decent ( but fun )  learning curve ahead of me.Laughing

Any thoughts most welcome...

Cheers

• 10-31-2011 8:12 PM In reply to

Re: Running DVD1 from Beovision 8-32?

Hi Synth, yes the DVD 1 would work fine when connected to your Beovision 8 with a scart lead, however it is important to purchase a good quality 'fully wired' scart.

You can simply control your DVD 1 with your beo4 when you press DVD.

Regards,

Cal

• 10-31-2011 8:25 PM In reply to

• synth
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-31-2011
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Howdy,

I was under the impression the DVD1 can only be controlled by the Beo4 remote - and only through a B&O tv.  Is that right?

Ok - as I'm brand new to using a Beo4 remote, please excuse what might seem an obvious question ( to those who understand ).....If I understand correctly, if I want to control the DVD1 I press the DVD button on the remote and that should allow me to control all the dvd functions? Or do I need to do something else? How does the tv know which AV port to use to talk to the DVD1? Is there some identifier signal the DVD1 senbds tot he tv? I know you can tell the tv it has a DVD player on  AV3, however I also notice that there is a V. MEM setting which is designed to tyalk to B&O gear - so would I set AV3 to "V.MEM" as its a B&O DVD1, or would I just set AV3 to be "DVD"?

What do you mean by the SCART being fully wired? 

Is it a special configuration for the SCART or does it mean every wire is used? Can you tell me more on this please?

• 11-01-2011 5:34 AM In reply to

Hi, you're right, the DVD 1 can only be controlled via a B&O TV by a Beo4 remote, Beo 5 and Beo 6 remote.

If I were you I'd assign the AV3 port to DVD. This will allow you to press the DVD button on your Beo 4 to take full control over the DVD 1.

If you assign V.Mem you will have the same control but you will switch to the DVD player by pressing the v.mem button instead of the more obvious DVD button.

Some SCART cables do not have wires connecting all of their pins. B&O equipment such as the DVD 1 carry data signals along some of the pins in the scart cable. If you don't have a fully wired scart cable the DVD 1 will not receive any signals from the TV as it does not have it's own infrared receiver.

When you look to purchase the scart cable simply look for the term 'fully wired; on Amazon or your local store.

Hope this help.

Regards,
    Cal 

• 11-01-2011 5:40 AM In reply to

synth:
    I was under the impression the DVD1 can only be controlled by the Beo4 remote - and only through a B&O tv.  Is that right?

It was designed for the Beo4, but in a pinch a Beolink 1000 would do (with some odd key combinations). Beo5/6 would obviously work as well. As far as I know the DVD1 doesn't have a remote control receiver at all, so it will need to be connected to a B&O TV for that.

synth:
    I know you can tell the tv it has a DVD player on  AV3, however I also notice that there is a V. MEM setting which is designed to tyalk to B&O gear - so would I set AV3 to "V.MEM" as its a B&O DVD1, or would I just set AV3 to be "DVD"?

DVD is the correct choice. The TV and B&O sources communicate over the SCART connection, but the system isn't intelligent enough to figure out what is connected where - you have to tell the TV that first. After that, you don't need to remember nor care which connector is connected to which source, you simply select the source you want to watch.

B&O doesn't need to tout backwards compatibility much, because mostly things "just work" - I believe you could take a Beocord VHS 91 from 1986 or so, connect it to your TV and control it just as easily as the DVD1.

"Fully wired" means just that. If the cable is exceptionally thin, it might not have everything connected.

-mika

• 11-01-2011 7:59 AM In reply to

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

• 11-01-2011 7:18 PM In reply to

• synth
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-31-2011
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the replies to my questions.

I am having to learn the B&O operation "mindset" as to how things work as well, such that in the future, I will know roughly what to expect when I connect one thing to another.

There is a learning curve for me in this respect.

I already have a Serenata phone, some RL45 speakers & a DVD1. Now I have a B&O tv linking them all together is a different game as I havent had to deal with integration before.

Cheers

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)