in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-27-2011 3:50 AM by chartz. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-29-2011 7:47 PM

• Gene
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-17-2011
    • Topeka, Kansas USA
    • Posts 26
    • Bronze Member

Restoring aluminum

There are countless advertisements for "magic" products and they seldom are what they say they are, but... I recently purchased a complete B&O 3300 system (Beomaster 3300, Beocord 3300, Beogram CD3300) and for a 20+ year old system, all the components were in very good condition. The aluminum faces were scuffed, not scratched deeply, but there were marks from use and shipping. A coworker with young children told me about a product she used to remove pemanent marker from walls and tables. There are several different products from different companies, but they are all basically the same. They are called magic erasers, cleaning erasers or something similar. They are a block of white material about 4.5"(11.43 cm) long, 2.5"(6.35 cm) wide and about 1"(2.54 cm) deep. The directions said use water, but I used a multi-surface cleaner and the aluminum looks like the day it came from the factory. I used it to clean my Boegram 4004 with the same results. It says you can use it on many different surfaces. It is available in the cleaning department at your local discount store or grocer. I wish I had invented or invested in this product. After I get brave enough, I may try it on an old turntable dustcover. Wish me luck!

• 10-30-2011 7:55 AM In reply to

Re: Restoring aluminum

I have also used this successfully to clean up the brushed aluminum of by equipment with excellent results.

BeoSystem 5000 (BM 5000, BG 5005, BC 5000, CD50), BeoCenter 3500, BeoCenter 2500, BeoLab 2500, BeoVox S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-100, CX-50, C-75, 3 MCL82 link rooms, A8, 4001 relay and ambio 

• 10-30-2011 12:05 PM In reply to

I have the same stuff (called "Magic sponge" in Finland) and it has been excellent for cleaning wooden cupboard doors around the knobs, etc - and yes, it works with just water! It never occured to me to try it on B&O aluminum... thanks for the tip!

-mika

• 10-30-2011 12:15 PM In reply to

• Gene
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-17-2011
    • Topeka, Kansas USA
    • Posts 26
    • Bronze Member

I was skeptical when my coworker told me about how well it worked, but it was less than $2 US. I want my equipment to look and perform perfectly. I did all the maintenance, but the panels made it less than perfect. I could not believe how well it worked on the aluminum. It's the best $2 US I've ever spent. Give it a try!

• 11-08-2011 4:58 PM In reply to

• Andre
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-04-2010
    • Cape Town
    • Posts 56
    • Bronze Member

Hi Gene

This sounds like an interesting product to clean aluminium with.  I have a 4002 which has reasonably clean cover plates and platter but there are some minor blemishes like a light scratch and some minor discolouration and would like to try the product you mentioned.

However, I am pretty sure if one asks around the supermarkets they won't know what I'm asking about. There are also umpteen Chinese stores here in Cape Town these days and I think I may have better luck to find the product in one of these shops.

I work with aluminium and do my own anodising on small aluminium items. I am not sure if the 'average Joe' knows the anodised surface on aluminium is non-conductive and very hard.

I have done some quick tests with my multimeter set to continuity and the probes touching the B&O plates and platter and there's no signal. This in my mind, indicates the plates and platter have been given a brushed surface en then anodised.

In the past, I have mechanically removed anodising from aluminium and this is exceptionally difficult. There are other means to remove anodising from aluminium - for example by immersion in boiling phosphoric acid for short periods.

My question is - assuming the Beogram covers are anodised (as they appear to be non-conductive) - what type of discolouration or surface grime have you been able to remove with the product you wrote about?

dauphine/andre 

• 11-08-2011 6:16 PM In reply to

Gene:

I was skeptical when my coworker told me about how well it worked, but it was less than $2 US. I want my equipment to look and perform perfectly. I did all the maintenance, but the panels made it less than perfect. I could not believe how well it worked on the aluminum. It's the best $2 US I've ever spent. Give it a try!

Can you give us a link where you can buy this stuff (Ebay)? Thanks!

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 11-08-2011 7:19 PM In reply to

• Gene
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-17-2011
    • Topeka, Kansas USA
    • Posts 26
    • Bronze Member

Andre-

My 4004 was in great condition, or so I thought. I removed the top panels for a quick belt change and decided to give them the once over with a magic eraser. What was once a somewhat cloudy alumininum panel became a fresh from the factory looking panel. It removed the years of pollution that had settled on the panels. The magic eraser is advertised to remove permanent marker from just about any hard surface. A fellow Beophite I know had a terrible incident. His young son (2 years old) marked his Beomaster 2400 with a permanent black marker. He thought all was lost. About a dozen swipes with the eraser not only removed the maker, but polished the aluminum to look much better than it did before the marker.

I have used the eraser on panels with lettering without damaging the lettering. I have removed scuffs that I though were scratches. I have also removed discoloration from deeper scratches that made them much less noticable. I dropped a stainlees steel water bottle into a camp fire and it had black discoloration on it when I finally got it out. I took it home and scrubbed with a wet cloth and soap without any success. Once again, the magic eraser restored it to new. Wikipedia says:

Melamine foam is a foam-like material consisting of a formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer.

The foam is manufactured in Germany by BASF under the name "Basotect". It has been used for over 20 years as insulation for pipes and ductwork, and has a long history as a soundproofing material for studios, sound stages, auditoriums, and the like. The low smoke and flame properties of melamine foam prevent it from being a fire hazard.

In the early 21st century it was discovered that melamine foam was an effective abrasive cleaner. The open cell foam is microporous and its polymeric substance is very hard, so that when used for cleaning it works like extremely fine sandpaper, getting into tiny grooves and pits in the object being cleaned. On a larger scale the material feels soft. Because the bubbles interconnect, its structure is more like a maze of fiberglass strands, when compared to the array of separate bubbles in a material such as expanded polystyrene foam (for example, Styrofoam).

Rubbing with a slightly moistened foam may remove otherwise "uncleanable" external markings from surfaces. For example, it can remove crayon, magic marker, and grease from painted walls, wood finishings, plastic-adhering paints from treated wooden tables, adhesive residue, and grime from hub caps. If the surface being cleaned is not sufficiently hard, it may be finely scratched by the melamine material. The foam wears away, rather like a pencil eraser, leaving behind a slight residue which can be rinsed off.

Melamine foam for cleaning uses is supplied by several companies under brand names such as:

• Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
    • 3M Scotch Brite Easy Erasing Pad
    • Nano Sponge
    • Coralite Ultimate Sponge

and generically as a "dirt eraser".

Google "magic eraser" and you will get hudreds of articles about it and its uses.

• 11-08-2011 7:21 PM In reply to

• Gene
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-17-2011
    • Topeka, Kansas USA
    • Posts 26
    • Bronze Member

Leslie-

Just get on eBay and search for "magic eraser". You will find hundreds of offers. Hopefully some are in your country so you can avoid extra cost.

• 11-08-2011 7:26 PM In reply to

Thanks Gene! Most of them is  for US shipment onlySad Others who ships worldwide comes from ChinaHmm

Beovirus? What's that?

• 11-08-2011 7:54 PM In reply to

Leslie:
    Thanks Gene! Most of them is  for US shipment onlySad Others who ships worldwide comes from ChinaHmm

Shut down your computer and walk to the supermarket. These aren't really any secret products you'd need to order online Big Smile

-mika

• 11-09-2011 2:07 AM In reply to

tournedos:

Shut down your computer and walk to the supermarket. These aren't really any secret products you'd need to order online Big Smile

Walk?HmmSupermarketSuper Angry Already ordered for a few $, the computerpostmen is my friendBig Smile

Beovirus? What's that?

• 11-09-2011 2:17 AM In reply to

Magic eraser can also be used as a stylus cleaner! http://www.high-endaudio.com/Magic.html

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 11-09-2011 5:47 AM In reply to

• Andre
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-04-2010
    • Cape Town
    • Posts 56
    • Bronze Member

Hello Gents

Thanks for your kind replies

@ Gene

3M Company is well-established here in ZA. I already exclusively use their automotive abrasives. I will call them asap as I'm sure the product must be available here.

Regards

andre/dauphine

• 11-25-2011 4:07 PM In reply to

Thanks for the interesting tip.

@Gene: what kind of record-puck do you use in your Beogram 4004?

Regards
  • 11-25-2011 5:31 PM In reply to

• Gene
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-17-2011
    • Topeka, Kansas USA
    • Posts 26
    • Bronze Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "record-puck". If you mean the device to stabilize records that is pictured in my "avatar", it is a Audio-Technica AT-618. I don't use it at all, it came with the 4004 when I purchased it.

• 11-25-2011 6:31 PM In reply to

Thanks Gene, that was exactly what i'm asking for.

Best regards
  • 11-25-2011 7:26 PM In reply to

Discovered that the four last posters have a Beogram 4000-series as their (our) avatar Stick out tongue

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 11-25-2011 7:35 PM In reply to

• Gene
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-17-2011
    • Topeka, Kansas USA
    • Posts 26
    • Bronze Member

It makes me proud to be in such good company. I think the Beogram 4000 series turntables are the most striking instruments to pass through the hallowed doorways of Bang & Olufsen.

• 11-26-2011 8:23 AM In reply to

Did you know that the 4000, 4002 and 6000 Quad are in the permanent collection of MoMa in New York?
  • 11-26-2011 8:32 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

In France, Gomme Magique Mr Propre!

Personally, I use Mr Clean Classic with à toothbrush, then I oil (Mobil One) the surface before wiping it dry. This gives a perfect finish, like new.

Jacques

• 11-27-2011 1:36 AM In reply to

• valve1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 213
    • Gold Member

chartz:
    n France, Gomme Magique Mr Propre!
    What shops do you fund this in ? Bricolage ?

• 11-27-2011 3:50 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Hi,

No, household/cleaning department. Mr Clean in Ireland I guess!

I bought a box yesterday and tried it out. I was really surprised at the result! It is much more effective than my old method...

Jacques

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)