in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-05-2011 10:00 AM by TripEnglish. 31 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-04-2011 10:36 AM In reply to

Re: So maybe now they'll support ALAC...

Going back to the original topic (ALAC playback), below is a reply I just received today from B&O customer service:

Thread de discussion
     Réponse (Charlotte Pennerup Melton) 04/11/2011 03:20 PM
    Dear Mr. Georget,

We are pleased to see that you are interested in purchasing our BeoSound 5 Encore and we will be pleased to answer your questions:

1) The BeoSound 5 Encore is not capable of playing gapless tracks.
    2) The BeoSound 5 Encore cannot play ALAC (Apple Lossless) files, but now, after Apple have made this "open source", it might be possible that a software is released in the furture, which will make this possible.
    3) If N.Radio station is broadcasting this, the BeoSound 5 Encore will show it. Otherwise it is not possible.
    4) If albums are added to a coloured favorite you can play all albums in the favorite, without MOTS enabled

Kind regards,
    Bang & Olufsen a/s

Charlotte Pennerup Melton
    Customer Service (Denmark)

//

So, keep your fingers crossed!

Now I hope they are working on gapless playback, however it seems to be for the distant future, not the near one unfortunately..AngryI'm quite surprised people don't complain more about gaps when playing a Mozart symphony or an album from Enigma..it drives me crazy!

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 11-04-2011 12:32 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Totally agree with you Chris, they're making a lot of adverts about how good it is to have a "high end MP3 player" like the Encore, how "audiophile" it is, and it can not support this simple feature, which is just totally irritating (I stay polite) not to have.

So there are 2 things that makes me wait and see before buying an Encore :
    1. The gapless playback (at least of FLAC, ALAC would be great too)
    2. The lack of the interface to "link" its BeoNet to my BV (a BeoNet to ML converter, or, better, a new link module for BV...) I can wait for the new "circular BeoNet IR eye for link rooms"

By the way, chris, what was the question N°3??? Was it something like "can the Encore display the song information of tracks played in a webradio?" or something like "can the Encore display webradio logo?"

• 11-04-2011 5:57 PM In reply to

This may be a seperate discussion altogether, but:

It seems to me that B&O are not driving their own bus on this stuff. Many features seem to be dependant on the standards (UPnP, AirPlay, DLNA, etc.) that B&O adopt and less so on their own ideal set of features and capabilities. 

I wonder if things like gapless playback are somehow dependant on portion of the SW that B&O are not in direct control of. It has proven to be an annoyance for classical music listeners (who already have to deal with MOTS, which doesn't lend itself to classical and opera the way it does to other genres).

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 11-04-2011 7:26 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Trip, don't try to search excuses for the inexcusable...

If it's not on the Encore, it's not because of a communication standard (DLNA or what you want) : it's because it's not programmed well, that's all. Owners of the BS5 had to wait a lot for this simple feature, which is event not a feature, it's just "how it's supposed to work", and now they do the same error with the Encore. 

It's not DLNA/Upnp which is the problem, as even with direct connexion of a USB hard drive, it doesn't work. B&O can't continue to sell products with major flaws like that, it's killing them, doing exactly what B&O haters say : style over substance.

With the BS5, B&O had the excuse of using a full Windows PC and relying on the Windows Media Player platform, and its drawbacks with "non-Microsoft filetypes". But now with the Encore, it's a full B&O-specified architecture.

Without gapless playback, the technology can be compared to a Kikinoko/bad chinese disposable MP3 player, not to other expansive HIFI systems.

It's like building a new supercar and saying "oh well, you have the horsepower of a Ferrari, you have the style of a Ferrari... But you cannot steer, as we don't understand how a steering wheel works! Maybe we will add this possibility later"

• 11-04-2011 9:49 PM In reply to

I second this.

t

There is no excuse for the missing gapless playing. This pops up every now and then, in fact i was hoping that the flac support would adress this since its lossless like wma where it seems to be working.

Note that the gapless that we are so used to is actually a feature which on pods is activated trough an id3 tag if i am not mistaken

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 11-05-2011 12:12 AM In reply to

The most incredible thing for me is that my BeoSound 2 could play gapless, so does my BeoPort with Linkplayer or BMLink, so can a BeoSound 8 with an Ipod,  in others words the most expensive BeoSound cannot do what the cheaper ones can...so why bother "upgrading" if it turns out to a downgrade in listening pleasure??

And yes, my question nr 3 was about NRADIO displaying track & artist names , something impossible in BeoPort PC version, BeoPlayer app, and BS5 as far as I can remember (everytime I was looking at it in shops, the station's name was displayed, not track/artist).This is also a feature available on the rest of the world's netradio players, and one that changes regularly the display, making it more "alive"...and usefulSmile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 11-05-2011 10:00 AM In reply to

That's really my point. I'm not making excuses, but rather wondering if the progression of features on certain platforms isn't, to some extent, out of their hands? That would make the situation worse, not better, in my opinion. If they're in control, then they can add features as they see fit. The fact that other devices in the brand can do it and they can't make one wonder.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2