in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-29-2011 4:59 PM by KMA. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-27-2011 7:42 AM

New Online catalouge!

• 10-27-2011 10:54 AM In reply to

Re: New Online catalouge!

Nice! Not a magalogue any longer, but I think I prefer it like that!
  • 10-27-2011 12:20 PM In reply to

I see no new products, but some "old" ones are still there! (BS9000)

• 10-27-2011 12:51 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Looks good to me. Who said that this catalogue wasn't much different from the previous year? Looks quite different to me!

• 10-27-2011 2:01 PM In reply to

I hate it, it's just so wrong! Evil with all of those old man oil guzzler cars. The Apples, Pioneer etc of this world are creative products for creative people but B&O is just so horribly pretentious now but not cool at the same time.

Gone are the people, the International feel to be replaced by materialism to the extreme. It's vulgar and cheap! I'm totally turned off my this.

Ive bought B&O in the past but the sad thing is, would I recommend them to a really good friend? No way, i simply could not!  Sorry B&O but i've moved on. I find you overpriced, pretentious and you fail to deliver on performance! My B&O days are totally over and my life is nicer and more fun without them!

• 10-27-2011 2:05 PM In reply to

Pioneer certainly aren't what they used to be , they're often rebadged sharps.

The old elite range and the still incredible kuro are what Pioneer were all about.

• 10-27-2011 2:11 PM In reply to

Also , I know you've had some bad experiences with bno in the past , but not all of us feel the same . Would I recommend bno ? Yup. Just make sure you buy a bv7 40 or 55 ( god , that 7/55 is a stunner ) as the bv8 is a nasty pile of **** and the 10 is overpriced compared to the 7.

I'm actually amazed at the longevity of the bno stuff I bought in 2003 - ALL of it still works and works very well !!!

Can't say that about all the other gear in my house - Apple included.. and i'm arguably the biggest Apple fanboy on the planet LOL

• 10-27-2011 2:44 PM In reply to

Flappo:
    I'm actually amazed at the longevity of the bno stuff I bought in 2003 - ALL of it still works and works very well !!!

we have all said it many times in many different ways, but to hear it expressed like that is a condemnation on modern society/design.  Somwthing bought seven years ago SHOULD still work - "all" it takes is careful planning and design. 

Flappo:
    i'm arguably the biggest Apple fanboy on the planet LOL

Smile very true Laughing

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-27-2011 2:46 PM In reply to

Paul Winn:

I hate it, it's just so wrong! Evil with all of those old man oil guzzler cars. The Apples, Pioneer etc of this world are creative products for creative people but B&O is just so horribly pretentious now but not cool at the same time.

Gone are the people, the International feel to be replaced by materialism to the extreme. It's vulgar and cheap! I'm totally turned off my this.

Ive bought B&O in the past but the sad thing is, would I recommend them to a really good friend? No way, i simply could not!  Sorry B&O but i've moved on. I find you overpriced, pretentious and you fail to deliver on performance! My B&O days are totally over and my life is nicer and more fun without them!

I hope you do know that the late Steve Jobs, the CEO and founder of Apple replaced his $130,000 Mercedes SL55 AMG every 6 months.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 10-27-2011 6:07 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

linder:

I hope you do know that the late Steve Jobs, the CEO and founder of Apple replaced his $130,000 Mercedes SL55 AMG every 6 months.

And there was something I read recently where it said that the people who whine most of all about materialistic stuff are those people who want it most of all....but just can't afford it. It's envy but they don't even know it.

B&O is an ultra-luxury brand. It's always been that way. The images you see in the catalogue (the cars, the 5-star hotels, the people) are associated with ultra-luxury. If you don't want to see this, or you feel affected by these associations, B&O isn't a brand for you.

• 10-27-2011 6:26 PM In reply to

moxxey:

linder:

And there was something I read recently where it said that the people who whine most of all about materialistic stuff are those people who want it most of all....but just can't afford it. It's envy but they don't even know it.

B&O is an ultra-luxury brand. It's always been that way. The images you see in the catalogue (the cars, the 5-star hotels, the people) are associated with ultra-luxury. If you don't want to see this, or you feel affected by these associations, B&O isn't a brand for you.

Well said!

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 10-27-2011 7:40 PM In reply to

Paul Winn:

I don't mean any disrespect, but why are you here then??

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 10-28-2011 8:12 AM In reply to

Going back to the original topic, have you noticed the tech specs of all BeoLabs? The frequency responses are now all rated at -10 dB, and the figures are quite different from what we've been used to over the years.

Finally it makes sense to have BeoLab 7-6 delivering slightly more bass than the 7-2, simply because there's more cabinet volume.

Also, the 3500 is gone back to the original tech specs found in the service manuals, and the 4000 gives more bass than the 4 (which was the other way round so far in the specs)Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 10-28-2011 9:42 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

I have seen this online catalogue, and I picked the paper version (international english... I made a mistake and did not take the French one) at my dealer, and...

The Paper catalogue is different!!!

(no, don't be too excited, there are no new products on the paper one... Copyright info states : February 2011!!!)

But : there are not so much cars on the paper version (only Audi+Aston, not BMW and AMG), and a little bit more "special people telling their special life" things.

Strange, isn't it?

• 10-28-2011 9:57 AM In reply to

• BeoGreg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2008
    • South of France
    • Posts 139
    • Gold Member

Mbee, you have to look more carefully.

I have the french paper catalog and the bmw and mercedes are in it (wich is good).

BS 9000 is still here as stated.

Gregory

Since 1995 : Beosound Century, Beolink 1000, Beocom 2400, Beovision MX 6000, Beocord VX 7000, Beo 4, LC2, Beosound Ouverture, Beolab 2500, Beocom 6000, Beolab 8000, Beosound 9000, Beovision Avant 32, Keyring, Bottle opener, Beosound 2, A8, Beosound 3, Beovision 10-40, Beo 4 Navigation, BeoTime, Beocom 5, Form 2...  

• 10-28-2011 10:27 AM In reply to

• KMA
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 101
    • Silver Member

mbee:

I have seen this online catalogue, and I picked the paper version (international english... I made a mistake and did not take the French one) at my dealer, and...

The Paper catalogue is different!!!

(no, don't be too excited, there are no new products on the paper one... Copyright info states : February 2011!!!)

But : there are not so much cars on the paper version (only Audi+Aston, not BMW and AMG), and a little bit more "special people telling their special life" things.

Strange, isn't it?

Strange indeed: on my printed version (English), there are Audi, Aston Martin, BMW and Mercedes-AMG, and the copyright says October 2011. There's only one customer & dealer story (the dealer being Peter and the client is the Nielsen family).

I do also have another paper catalogue from earlier this year, copyright February 2011, which has more customer stories, and also Beovision 8 and BeoSound 3200 in it. On the cover of this catalogue is a photo of the BV7-55" with the lady playing the piano. On the cover of the October 2011 catalogue there is the BeoVision 4-85" with a man playing a guitar...

So mbee, it seems you did not pick up the latest paper catalogue...

KMA

Current setup: BeoVision 10-46 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand) with Apple TV 2 (FireCore), Sony BDP-S780, Mac Mini, BeoLab 11 (silver), Beo5, BeoSound 8 (red speaker covers). Accessories: A8 Earphones, wine bottle coasters.

B&O product history, in chronological order since 1990, after the onset of the treaded BeoVirus (I tend to upgrade/change my setup "infrequently"): BeoSystem 2500 (with blue speaker covers), BeoLink 5000, BeoSystem 7000 (complete; silver/black), BeoLink 7000, RedLine 60.2, BeoVox Penta, BeoVision MX4000 (black, motorized floor stand), BeoCord VX5000 (black), BeoSystem 4500 (complete), BeoCenter 9500, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoVision Avant (original, 28" AR, VHS, green), BeoCenter 2300, BeoVision 3-32 (grey speaker frame, AR, motorised cabinet), DVD1 (grey), BeoCord V8000 (grey), Beo4, BeoSound Ouverture (w/ floor cabinet stand), BeoVision Avant RF (grey, 32", AR, VHS), BeoSound 9000, BeoCenter AV5 (blue), BeoVision 1 (yellow, motorized floor stand), Beo1, BeoSound Century (yellow), BeoCenter 1 (blue, AR, motorized floor stand), BeoSound 1 (silver, floor stand), BeoVision Avant RF DVD (grey, 32", AR), BeoVision 7-32 MkI (AR, motorized floor stand), BeoLab 3 (black), BeoSound 2, BeoVision 10-40 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand).

• 10-28-2011 10:40 AM In reply to

• KMA
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 101
    • Silver Member

Chrisreunion:

Going back to the original topic, have you noticed the tech specs of all BeoLabs? The frequency responses are now all rated at -10 dB, and the figures are quite different from what we've been used to over the years.

Finally it makes sense to have BeoLab 7-6 delivering slightly more bass than the 7-2, simply because there's more cabinet volume.

Also, the 3500 is gone back to the original tech specs found in the service manuals, and the 4000 gives more bass than the 4 (which was the other way round so far in the specs)Smile

Yes, the Effective Frequency Ranges have changed for all of the speakers (either lowest frequency, highest frequency, or both). Examples:

BeoLab 3: 50 - 23.000 Hz

BeoLab 4: 55 - 33,300 Hz

BeoLab 5: 18 - 21,800 Hz

BeoLab 9: 28 - 29,000 Hz

BeoLab 6000: 47 - 24.000 Hz

and so on.

All are measured at "-10 dB re. Ref level (200 - 2,000 Hz)"

So is it simply a matter of measuring the response differently, or have there been updates to the speakers themselves? Some changes in the figures are quite notable...

KMA

Current setup: BeoVision 10-46 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand) with Apple TV 2 (FireCore), Sony BDP-S780, Mac Mini, BeoLab 11 (silver), Beo5, BeoSound 8 (red speaker covers). Accessories: A8 Earphones, wine bottle coasters.

B&O product history, in chronological order since 1990, after the onset of the treaded BeoVirus (I tend to upgrade/change my setup "infrequently"): BeoSystem 2500 (with blue speaker covers), BeoLink 5000, BeoSystem 7000 (complete; silver/black), BeoLink 7000, RedLine 60.2, BeoVox Penta, BeoVision MX4000 (black, motorized floor stand), BeoCord VX5000 (black), BeoSystem 4500 (complete), BeoCenter 9500, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoVision Avant (original, 28" AR, VHS, green), BeoCenter 2300, BeoVision 3-32 (grey speaker frame, AR, motorised cabinet), DVD1 (grey), BeoCord V8000 (grey), Beo4, BeoSound Ouverture (w/ floor cabinet stand), BeoVision Avant RF (grey, 32", AR, VHS), BeoSound 9000, BeoCenter AV5 (blue), BeoVision 1 (yellow, motorized floor stand), Beo1, BeoSound Century (yellow), BeoCenter 1 (blue, AR, motorized floor stand), BeoSound 1 (silver, floor stand), BeoVision Avant RF DVD (grey, 32", AR), BeoVision 7-32 MkI (AR, motorized floor stand), BeoLab 3 (black), BeoSound 2, BeoVision 10-40 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand).

• 10-28-2011 4:48 PM In reply to

moxxey:

I would prefer a statement by B&O like that: B&O is  a quality brand for people with good taste (Some can afford a pair of Beolab 5, some "only" a pair of used Beovox Penta)

I don't mind luxury, but I mind too much of bling bling. (more beocom 5 than becom 2 type)

iPoditiv owning some B&O items not for luxury but for usability

• 10-29-2011 6:55 AM In reply to

moxxey:

Looks good to me. Who said that this catalogue wasn't much different from the previous year? Looks quite different to me!

+1!

Much better indeed!

But.

How can a brand like B&O offer the Beocenter 2, a DVD player! Shouldn't this marvelous piece of design have gotten an update to Blue Ray already??? Or skip the whole thing? Who would buy it at present? 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 10-29-2011 7:00 AM In reply to

KMA:

Chrisreunion:

Yes, the Effective Frequency Ranges have changed for all of the speakers (either lowest frequency, highest frequency, or both). Examples:

and so on.

So is it simply a matter of measuring the response differently, or have there been updates to the speakers themselves? Some changes in the figures are quite notable...

Interesting...

Specially the Beolab5. Anyone with more info?

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 10-29-2011 9:05 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

bayerische:

and so on.

Generally an audio bandwidth is quoted as -3db relative to a peak or reference level. The -3dB point is sometimes called the half-power point, since the power delivered has fallen to half the reference value. In a speaker this equates to ~81% volume or loudness.

Quoting a bandwidth @-10dB means the power deleiverd has fallen to about 10% and the volume has halved. As the frequency rolls off at either end of the bandwidth, quoting to a lower power level allows you to quote a broader bandwidth.

As the measurements are relative it is important when comparing measurements that the reference point is similarly specified and that the endpoints are at the same level.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-29-2011 9:10 AM In reply to

I like the look of it. Yes -  thumbs up

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 10-29-2011 9:33 AM In reply to

Puncher:

bayerische:

and so on.

Generally an audio bandwidth is quoted as -3db relative to a peak or reference level. The -3dB point is sometimes called the half-power point, since the power delivered has fallen to half the reference value. In a speaker this equates to ~81% volume or loudness.

Quoting a bandwidth @-10dB means the power deleiverd has fallen to about 10% and the volume has halved. As the frequency rolls off at either end of the bandwidth, quoting to a lower power level allows you to quote a broader bandwidth.

As the measurements are relative it is important when comparing measurements that the reference point is similarly specified and that the endpoints are at the same level.

Right.

Sorry missed the -10dB thing!

-Andreas

• 10-29-2011 4:59 PM In reply to

• KMA
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 101
    • Silver Member

A summary of recent information:

The new main catalogue (October 2011) is in many ways an "intermediate" catalogue, compared to the February 2011 main catalogue. There are no new products, only some new photos and slightly revised texts, and updated product specs. 

As many of us here at BeoWorld know, a lot of new, interesting products will be launched in the next few months (starting November). It is likely that B&O will publish another main catalogue early in the Spring of 2012 (this year, 2011, they also published two catalogues, one in February and the latest in October), and it will certainly feature (some of) the new products gossiped about here at BeoWorld. 

There will be nice new products for the B&O sub-brand, and very interesting new products for the main brand, for our holistic B&O setups. All in all, 2012 will be a remarkable year, from what I learnt, so we have a lot to look forward to! The lid is kept tightly on things to come, but the developments are worth having faith in. 

B&O seems to be making a "comeback" of sorts with a vengeance, with new technology and platforms around the corner (in B&O terms that means some time next year, with no specific dates known to us mere mortals). Note that most of the novelties have at least been referred to here at BeoWorld; yet I think we will be happily surprised.

Point of this post: the signal I got about B&O's future was very positive!

KMA

Page 1 of 1 (24 items)