in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-02-2012 9:02 AM by stefan. 47 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (48 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-26-2011 7:58 AM

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

BeoSound 5 CD Rip

Did you see that ?

• 10-26-2011 8:11 AM In reply to

Re: BeoSound 5 CD Rip

Interesting!  Where is the picture from?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 10-26-2011 8:21 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

B&O MediaCenter.

Seems to be cool...

• 10-26-2011 10:08 AM In reply to

I am very eager to order it once available.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 10-26-2011 11:14 AM In reply to

Too late......Why not from the start?!

• 10-26-2011 11:19 AM In reply to

koning:

+1!

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 10-26-2011 12:55 PM In reply to

koning:

I agree. Further, my understanding is that its only function is for ripping and not for playback of CDs. If that's the case, the ugly thing should be hidden away with the Beomaster 5 instead of detracting from the "floating" beauty of the BeoSound 5.

• 10-26-2011 12:59 PM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

beojeff:
    the ugly thing should be hidden away with the Beomaster 5 instead of detracting from the "floating" beauty of the BeoSound 5.

I agree with you. I will probably continue to rip cd´s on a PC.

It´s not magic - it´s Bang & Olufsen

• 10-26-2011 1:02 PM In reply to

beojeff:

I agree. Further, my understanding is that its only function is for ripping and not for playback of CDs. If that's the case, the ugly thing should be hidden away with the Beomaster 5 instead of detracting from the "floating" beauty of the BeoSound 5.

<nevermind, edited>

People seemed to want one, and now it's there... this crowd is hard to please Stick out tongue

I'm going to move this thread to the Beosound 5 subforum where it belongs, and delete the identical 0-reply thread from there.

-mika

• 10-26-2011 1:02 PM In reply to

Still, I'm intrigued by the "cd" icon on the bottom left of the BeoSound 5 screen. Is it possible that the rumors of cd-ripping-only were wrong and this could add a "CD" playback function to the BeoSound 5? That would be nice if we could have the CD, with the n.music assigned to "A.MEM" and a Beogram turntable connected to the "AUX." Then everything could be connected tidily to the BeoSound.

Then, if only we could have a datalink cable adapter made for the aux input for full control of the turntable again! My daydream has gotten out of control. Back to reality....

• 10-26-2011 1:04 PM In reply to

tournedos:

beojeff:

It is intended for the Encore. Therefore, there usually won't be a Beomaster 5 in the setup.

People seemed to want one, and now it's there... this crowd is hard to please Stick out tongue

I'm going to move this thread to the Beosound 5 subforum where it belongs, and delete the identical 0-reply thread from there.

I had heard just the opposite: That the CD-ripper is intended for connection between the BeoSound 5 and the BeoMaster 5 for direct ripping to the BeoMaster.

• 10-26-2011 1:13 PM In reply to

via usb from the beomaster 5

• 10-26-2011 1:15 PM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

Yes beojeff, it´s for BS5 not Encore.

It´s not magic - it´s Bang & Olufsen

• 10-26-2011 1:26 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

beojeff:

I had heard just the opposite: That the CD-ripper is intended for connection between
    the BeoSound 5 and the BeoMaster 5 for direct ripping to the BeoMaster.

I was told that the soon coming ripping station

- CAN BE ADDED TO ANY existing BeoSound/BeoMaster 5 combo.

- CAN DEFINITIVELY NOT be used for BeoSound 5 Encore.

- is JUST FOR RIPPING directly to a BM5 (not to be used as a "standard" CD-Player)

- and the ?ONLY? RIPPING FORMAT will be WMA LOSSLESS

• 10-26-2011 1:28 PM In reply to

beojeff:
    I had heard just the opposite: That the CD-ripper is intended for connection between the BeoSound 5 and the BeoMaster 5 for direct ripping to the BeoMaster.

All right, that makes more sense anyway... I'm not going to rip my hair over that Big Smile

Anyway, the clue in this product won't be the actual ripping hardware (which you could've done all this time with a USB CD drive), but how seamless B&O has managed to make the process, which is mostly a software issue. I would expect that some kind of a user interface appears on the BS5. Also remember that this product is not intended just for the nerds (cf. the USB drive solution), and it should be operable by owners who might not even know where their BM5 is located...

-mika

• 10-26-2011 1:31 PM In reply to

ONLY? RIPPING FORMAT will be WMA LOSSLESS.

oke',

No ripping station for me.Sad

• 10-26-2011 1:43 PM In reply to

ripping only?

WMA only? (no Flac?)

Don't bother.  Use a program on your PC

B

• 10-26-2011 1:51 PM In reply to

Exact audio copyYes -  thumbs up

• 10-26-2011 2:02 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:

... and it should be operable by owners who might not even know where their BM5 is located...

SPOT ON - exactly those suffering from COMPUTERPHOBIA will be the TARGET GROUP ...

• 10-26-2011 2:44 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

If the drive is transferring the digital audio over USB to the BM5 where it is then compressed into WMA format then it seems daft not to offer the facility to play the CD (USB) stream too, but then it is B&O we're talking aboutErm

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-27-2011 6:56 PM In reply to

My initial reaction was was not positive.  I have been ripping CDs in WMA and FLAC to the Beosound 5/BM5 without any problems.  However I mentioned it to my wife and she thinks it is a great idea.  She wants me to order it tomorrow.  There might be a large group that really wants this.  I never planned on ordering something like this.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 10-28-2011 5:07 AM In reply to

Puncher:

If the drive is transferring the digital audio over USB to the BM5 where it is then compressed into WMA format then it seems daft not to offer the facility to play the CD (USB) stream too, but then it is B&O we're talking aboutErm

I don't see much point in playing a CD and not copying it to the library (I'm sure the copyright mafia would, though). According to the sales pitch on the B&O site, you can start playing after the first track has been copied, and I wouldn't expect that to take long.

I can see this being simply an user interface issue - by not offering direct playpack, they avoid a special use case and it's easier to keep it simple for everybody.

-mika

• 10-28-2011 8:04 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Exactly  :aimed at computer-phobics... Not the case of ANYONE in this forum normally!

And playing a CD without ripping it is just plainly stupid : you have access to ALL your CD library in lossless at the turn of a wheel, or via the 2-way Beo6 (15th of november...), so WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU STILL WANT TO PLAY A F*** CD with all the reading errors that you can have, the slow access time and everything (like spending hours to find out that the CD you wanted to play was in fact in the basement and not in the livingroom)????

Here is the official presentation : http://www.bang-olufsen.com/ripping-device

• 10-28-2011 9:28 AM In reply to

Let me guess,

it's not possible to select tracks on a cd

• 11-04-2011 11:44 AM In reply to

• fishta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • London
    • Posts 79
    • Bronze Member

If people find this device ugly then I am sure it is just a normal USB laptop CD drive in fancy casing and that it is just the software which will be updated so you could just attach a normal USB CD drive into the BM5 out of sight like I did with my hack...

BeoVision 7-40 MkV

Page 1 of 2 (48 items) 1 2 Next >