in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-31-2011 5:17 AM by Keith Saunders. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-24-2011 8:40 AM

• Beonut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Essex, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Bronze Member

beolink problem

I have a problem with my beolink system, my house has been cabled with cat7 and I am using the new masterlink distribution panel and at the source end b&o rj45 to masterlink cables. All cables have been checked and are correct.

My setup is as follows;

Main room bs3 (v.opt 2) and bs3200 (a.opt 0), my speakers are connected to the bs3

Bedroom bv10 (v.opt 6)

Kitchen - beolink active kit (l.opt 6)

Dining room - beolink passive kit (l.opt 6)

The problem I have is when I try to listen to the bs3200 in another room and all items are patched in, neither the active or the passive kit work but the bv10 does work. If I unpatch the bv10 then both the active and the passive kits work.

I can find no problems with the cables or the patch panel and in isolation all items work. Can someone confirm i have the right option settings and suggest any solutions to try please.

My B&O - BS3, BV4-50, Beomedia 1, BS3200, DVD1, BL8000, BL6000, BL3, BL2, BL7.4
  • 10-24-2011 2:54 PM In reply to

Re: beolink problem

As a first step, I would power down ALL products on the Masterlink, that is power down at the mains switch of each device, not just put them into standby. Wait for a short time making sure all products are plugged into the Masterlink, then power up all products at the mains switch again.

Now try your tests again..

Regards Keith....

• 10-25-2011 7:22 AM In reply to

• Beonut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Essex, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Bronze Member

Keith

Thank you for your answer but this has not resolved the problem, but it has shed some more light on it.

I powered everything off at the mains waited about 10min then started everything up with all devices patched in. The cd will play in the main room via the bs3 and in the bedroom via the bv10, but neither of the beolink kits will switch on, the red light is on but it dosnt flash when the cd button is pressed.

I tried the power off sequence again, but leaving the bv10 powered off at the mains but with it still patched in. Neither of the beolink systems work, i then unpatch the bv10 at the patch panel end  and the beolink rooms both start working immediatly.I then patched the bv10 back in at the patch panel, but unplugged the ml connector at the bv10 end, neither beolink room works. I then unplug the ml to rj45 cable at the cat7 socket in the bedroom  being used for the bv10 and the beolink rooms start working.

To me this suggests I have a problem with the ml to rj45 cable, which unfortunatly is buried in my building fabric. I dont understand why the bv10 works as a link room but prevents the beolink rooms working.

Regards

peter 

• 10-28-2011 10:04 AM In reply to

• Beonut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Essex, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Bronze Member

Keith

I have found the problem, thanks for your help. I thought I should post this incase other early adopters of the new beonet system see similar problems.

I have found that out of 7 b&o product cables ml-rj45 supplied I have 2  faulty cables.

The cable causing the problem described in this thread, once I checked it with a continuity tester i found a wire shorting to the shielding. I traced that to a fault at the rj45 end of the cable. As this cable is already buried in the wall ducting as it goes from my cat7 plate to the bv10, i cut the rj45 end off as its more likly the fault is in the termination than the cable. I found the fault in the rj45 termination.

But the reason for the post was to expain what I found,  the product cable has some bespoke work done at the rj45 end, at the ml end there are 9 wires connected out of the 16ways at the rj45 end there are 8, the ninth being solder jointed pink to white blue and then these go to pin 3 on the rj45. The joint is covered with heat shrink tube but it was this that was faulty and shorting to the shield. Ive now re done this joint and put a new shielded rj45 on and all is now good.

Id suggest that these cables are likly to be fairly unreliable because of the soldering as they are clearly manually made up. The other faulty cable I have is clearly a similar problem, it just did not work at all, now I know the pin out, it is again pin 3 on the rj45 that is not connected at all so obviously there is a fault on the soldering on this cable as well.

Just as a suggestion to the forum, anyone using these ml-rj45 cables intending to hide them in the building fabic or seeing problem as i have had I suggest they are fully tested first, not just by plugging 2 products together but by continuity testing end to end and each of the rj45 pins to the shield.

regards

peter

• 10-31-2011 5:17 AM In reply to

Peter,

I am very pleased that you found the problem, and as the powering down did not fix the problem, your find would have been the next step.

Generally speaking Masterlink issues are nearly always down to cabling or plug connections.

Regards Keith....

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)