in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-01-2011 3:34 PM by Rookie. 63 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (64 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-22-2011 12:28 PM

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

Now what?

Hi,

I am awaiting to the arrival of my first B&O pieces, a set of Beolab 5 and a beo4 remote.

Now, I am stalled as I can't understand what's the possibilities exactly are.

I looked for a preamp-processor but I can't see any listed by B&O.

As now, my processor is a Denon a1hdci, tv in a Kuro, i also have a NAS and an iMac.

I'd like to stream music using a NAS instead of CDs. I'd like a universal remote control to operate everything in my audio system, possibly also the tv.

My understanding is that high resolution sound like sacd and BD is best if processed in my denon and sent to the BL5 in analog format.

I know nothing about B&O products and I have been reading on their website about their Beolink, beomaster, beoports, etc... Those devices, although it would be nice to have them all, are too much for me to buy at once.

So, my question: if i am to create a flawless system that incorporates non-B&O devices what should I buy first?

Is there a list of universal remotes that handles B&O devices?

Thank you.

• 10-22-2011 3:42 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

Re: Now what?

Sounds like you need a BeoSystem 3 and BeoSound 5 Wink

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 10-22-2011 8:31 PM In reply to

Maab:
    Denon a1hdci

According to google hits, this unit is a 10 channel power amplifier ?

If so I believe you should not attach it to the BeoLab 5s as they have their own built in power amplifiers.

Maab:
    I looked for a preamp-processor but I can't see any listed by B&O.

The Beomasters and Beosounds and Beoports all output line level signals for BeoLab speakers (with their inbuilt power amplifiers) to amplify.

With suitable cables it may be (I am not an electrician nor a electrical/electronics engineer) to feed a BeoMaster/BeoSound/BeoPort to your Denon for driving your existing unpowered speakers.

Maab:
    I'd like to stream music using a NAS instead of CDs

The answer for this is either (as posted above) one of the two types of BeoSound 5, or perhaps even a BeoPort (this is relatively inexpensive!) connected to your iMac and your BeoLab 5s.

Maab:
    Is there a list of universal remotes that handles B&O devices?

The Beo 6 is B&Os reverse option, a B&O remote that drives the rest of your non-B&O devices ... but I do believe there are some universal remotes that support the infrared range that B&O uses as its standard (i.e. the issue is not just the commands, it is the actual signal frequency)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-23-2011 9:49 AM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies. There are so many options that makes my head spin...

The beomaster seems to me oriented to multiroom and video processing,
  • 10-23-2011 9:50 AM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

I will further investigate my options, I'm afraid....
  • 10-23-2011 10:46 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Maab:

If you want a "purist/audiophile" solution just for music, you might consider this:

Source & Data storage:
      BeoSound 5 & BeoMaster 5 (1TB internal HD)  

Audio connections:
    - digitally via SPDIF from BeoMaster 5 <> BeoLab 5#1 <> BeoLab#2 
      (Role on BM5 must be set to from "NETMUSIC" to "CD")

- analog via fully mounted PowerLink cables
      necessary to send source data "telling" the BeoLab 5s if "CD" is selected
      to switch to the SPDIF instead of using the analog PowerLink input.
      And of course to transmit the sound when "NETRADIO" or "A.AUX" has been
      selected. 

Speakers:
      your pair of BeoLab 5s

Remote:
      Beo 4 or Beo6

• 10-23-2011 10:57 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

Vienna:

Audio connections:

selected. 

Interesting ... I've never tried or even thought of trying this with the BeoMaster 5.  I'm assuming those that have are reporting good results?

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 10-23-2011 11:07 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

Interesting ... I've never tried or even thought of trying this with the BeoMaster 5.  

Only working if there is NO other CD Player configured as an audio master in the ML setup
    (eg. a BeoSound xxxx in "A.OPT 0/1/2")!

• 10-23-2011 11:54 AM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

Vienna:

Maab:

If you want a "purist/audiophile" solution just for music, you might consider this:

Source & Data storage:
      BeoSound 5 & BeoMaster 5 (1TB internal HD)  

Audio connections:

selected. 

Speakers:
      your pair of BeoLab 5s

Remote:
      Beo 4 or Beo6

Thank you for your input.

That's about what I have in mind.

However, how come the Beomaster doesn't have a digital output? They say (B&O) beaolab 5 are better connected digitaly.

Also, how about a MacMini. Can it be integrated with the BeoSound 5?

• 10-23-2011 1:03 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Maab:

However, how come the Beomaster doesn't have a digital output?
    They say (B&O) beaolab 5 are better connected digitaly.

1) not true for BM5
    2) true 

If you prefer a "classic" CD/FM-Radio audio system - both, the BeoCenter 2 and the
    BeoSound 9000 have digital SPDIF and analogue PowerLink outputs. (BSd 4 and all the
    other audio systems have only analogue PL outs)

If you prefer a "digital age" storage/internet radio audio system - the BeoSound/BeoMaster 5
    combo has SPDIF and analogue PowerLink outputs. (BSd5 Encore has only analogue PL outs) 

In a B&O setup the BeoLab 5 uses the digital SPDIF input only when "CD" has been selected.

-> you have to select stored music ("NETMUSIK") via the command "CD".

-> You need a fully mounted PL cable to transmit this information from the source to the BeoLab 5s 

-> All other sources eg. "NETRADIO" will still be tranmitted via the analogue PL cables.

-> To use the digital SPDIF it's EITHER a BSd5/BM5 OR a BSd 9000/BC2 - you can not use a 
         BSd 9000/BC2 as a further audiosystem for your mainroom setup in parallel.

-> You are in dire need of a good dealer / installer - this will cost money ... 

PS: For a BeoSound 9000 you should hurry up, it's the very last batch that soon will be sold out
    (these days?/weeks?/months?) 

• 10-23-2011 1:15 PM In reply to

Vienna:

In a B&O setup the BeoLab 5 uses the digital SPDIF input only when "CD" has been selected.

Hello Vienna!

Is your statement true in general? So would I have to connect my BS9000 with both PL and SPDIF to listen to NETMUSIC (BM5 via ML to BS9000);

or do you mean: because of analogue ML: if one would listen to "digital" music only  - without a DA-AD converter - the setup would have to be done the way you've mentioned?

At the moment I'm a little confused - always thought either PL or SPDIF....

Regards Elmar (near Graz ;-) )

• 10-23-2011 2:21 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

f5434964:

At the moment I'm a little confused - always thought either PL or SPDIF....

No, read your BLb5 user/setup manual ...

Example:
    Main room BVi + speakers (connected to the PL outs of the TV)
    and  a BSd 9000 (no speakers)
    and a BLb 3500 in a link room are connected via ML.

->  analogue sound in the main-room speakers as well as in the link room.
         for all sources.

If you additionaly run a SPDIF cable directly from BSd 9000 to BLb 5#1
    and a SPDIF cable from BLb 5#1 to BLb5 #2  then:

ONLY if you select "CD" in the main room
    ("speaker 2" must also be the default setting for for audio in your BVi)

-> digital signal to the BLb 5s

if you select "AV"+"CD" or "SPEAKER"+"1/3/4/5" in the main room 

-> analogue signal via ML and Powerlink

if you select "CD" in a linkroom

-> analogue signal via ML

If, as I assume, your BM5 is connected via ML and "AUDIO MASTER" is set "OFF"
    you will not be able to change the "ROLE" for "NETMUSIC" from "NETMUSIC" to "CD"
    (because your audio master BSd 9000 still needs the commands "CD" and "RADIO") 

-> NETMUSIC and NETRADIO analogue via ML

• 10-23-2011 2:38 PM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

Thank you Vienna, you have been very helpful. As I said I am a total novice regarding B&O products, thus I still have a few doubts:

Vienna:

Are you saing that all other digital sources like digital radio, Pandora, Flac have to be converted to analog in order to play on BL5? How about BD disks DTS-HD?

Vienna:
    -> You need a fully mounted PL cable to transmit this information from the source to the BeoLab 5s 

I'm not sure I understand this... what kind of information?

Vienna:
    -> You are in dire need of a good dealer / installer - this will cost money ...

A B&O dealer I guess...

• 10-23-2011 3:22 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Are you saing that all other digital sources like digital radio, Pandora, Flac have to be converted to analog in order to play on BL5?

In a B&O setup - yes 

the digital SPDIF input is only used if the signal comes from a "real CD player" 
        with SPDIF out - eg. the BSd 90000

or

from the BeoMaster 5 beeing set up as "AUDIO MASTER" and "ROLE" changed from "NETMUSIC" to "CD")    
        (and there is no "classic" B&O audio system like a BeoSound 9000 in your setup) 

How about BD disks DTS-HD?

In a full B&O Audio/Video setup processed in the processor of the TV and sent via (analogue) PowerLink
         to the speakers

You need a fully mounted PL cable to transmit this information from the source to the BeoLab 5s 
    I'm not sure I understand this... what kind of information?

There are different types of PowerLink cables - you need the "thick" = fully mounted version    
          ... to swich from analogue PL input to the digital SPDIF (RCA-CINCH) input when "CD" has been selected

You are in dire need of a good dealer / installer - this will cost money ...
    A B&O dealer I guess...

Yes, a B&O dealer if you are going for a mainly B&O setup. 
           If you want to build up a setup combining B&O with different brands a B&O installer experienced in
           system integration could be the better choice ...

• 10-23-2011 6:44 PM In reply to

Hi,

why so complicated?

Buy a cheap second life Beosound for 300€ to start the whole system and control the volume on the BL5's ... hook it up to the BL5 via B&O powerlink cables first (DIN type) ... then connect your mac mini via digital out to your beolab 5's digital in ... press CD on your Beo 4 and make the system start playing music from you mac mini/NAS.

The BL5's will prefer the digital signal coming from the mac mini, as long as there is no CD in the Beosound CD-drive it can play.

You can use the apple "Remote" app to control and operate your itunes libraries on you mac mini.

You don't have to worry about DAC's and DSP-processing with the BL5's ... it is built-in ... and it is very good quality. Even if you implement an external DAC in front of the BL5's ... it is useless, save the money ... as it will be converted again anyways.

Btw: Congrats on the BL5's

Regards

BV 7-40 BR ... Beolab 5 front ... Beolab 8000 rear ... Beolab 2 Sub ... Apple TV ... Apple NAS ... Beosound Ouverture  ... Technisat HD8-S ... Sonos ZP 90

• 10-23-2011 9:35 PM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

Wow... Thank you!

Ok. It's all coming clearer to my mind, I just don't understand why I would need the beosound. Please note I also purchased a beo4 remote.

Thanks again

• 10-23-2011 10:22 PM In reply to

o.k,

i see you don't operate any other B&O stuff ... then you don't need a beosound.

But i think you have to adapt to "option 1" using the Beo4 ... check your manual for this.

Regards

BV 7-40 BR ... Beolab 5 front ... Beolab 8000 rear ... Beolab 2 Sub ... Apple TV ... Apple NAS ... Beosound Ouverture  ... Technisat HD8-S ... Sonos ZP 90

• 10-23-2011 10:35 PM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

Yes, at moment anyway, only the BL5 and beo4.

Thanks again, rookie.. Very much appreciated your help.

...Great beoworld!!
  • 10-24-2011 5:10 PM In reply to

@vienna

Thanks for your very detailed answers!
    Sorry - I do not have BL5s but I thought about buying some; and yes I could go to a dealer and talk about my thoughts but within the forum I get very detailed and professional answers without feeling a "pressure" to buy something...

Ok my setup as audiomaster BS9000 MkIII with PL BL8000 MkII plus ML BM5 (BS5) in "no audiomaster" mode (a BS3200 with PL BL3 in another room - maybe ML later; TV at the moment not an option maybe later)

I would like to replace the BL8000 with eg BL5; I thought I could connect the BL5 with SPDIF to the BS9000 and everything would be fine! I do not care if the signal is transduced to analogue - I just wanted to know if ONLY SPDIF would be enough...

A BS3 only has PL outputs - so if I would add a TV PL would be the only option...?!

Regards Elmar 

• 10-24-2011 7:11 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

f5434964:

I would like to replace the BL8000 with eg BL5; I thought I could connect the BL5 with SPDIF to the BS9000 and everything would be fine! I do not care if the signal is transduced to analogue - I just wanted to know if ONLY SPDIF would be enough...

A BS3 only has PL outputs - so if I would add a TV PL would be the only option...?!

@ Elmar

No, running just a SPDIF from BSd 9000<>BLb5#1<>BLB5#2 is not enough. 
    And  you need a fully mounted PL cable to transmit additional data. These are needed
    to control the volume of the music-data sent through the SPDIF cable by the internal
    DSP of the BLb 5. 

So, if you replace the BLb 8000s by BLb5s (and leave the rest of your setup unchanged)
    you'll have to replace existing "thin" PowerLink cables by fully mounted PowerLink
    cables AND aditionally run SPDIF (RCA/CINCH) cables as described in one of my previous
    posts. 

If you want to add a TV or a BeoSystem 3 you'll probably want to use the BLb 5s for
    audio as well as video sound (TV set to V.OPT 2) 

Then you'll have to connect the PL cables to the PL outs of the TV - but the SPDIF
    will still be connected to the BSd 9000. (without speakers = set to A.OPT 0).

TV, BSd 9000, BM5 and link-rooms (eg BSd 3200 + BLb3 in A.Opt 6) have to be connected
    via ML-cable.

Whether or not your setup includes a TV - only the the sound from "CD" will be transmitted
    digitally via SPDIF - all the rest of your sources will be analogue via ML and PL.

Grüße nach Graz!

• 10-24-2011 7:11 PM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

I have been reading about Beosound 5 encore. I can't find info regarding whether it outputs via digital coax directly to beolab 5. The dealer says yes it does, but I can't find it written on B&O website.

Help?

• 10-24-2011 7:35 PM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

Hi Vienna,

I re-read some of your posts and something clicked my mind.

Regarding the fully mounted power link cable... Does that mean that even if connect a non-B&O device via spdif, like a digital preamp (tact) or a digital server (Aurender or Marantz), cannot be done direct-digital because of the impossibility to use the fully mounted Powerlink?

Sorry, if it sounds more dumb than I am. But I read some users are using the macmini, which I believe it has no powerlink connection.

• 10-24-2011 7:39 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Maab:
    I have been reading about Beosound 5 encore. I can't find info regarding whether it outputs via digital coax directly to beolab 5. The dealer says yes it does, but I can't find it written on B&O website. 

@ Maab

Knowing both BeoSound 5 versions, ... let's say "quite well" Big Smile

BeoSound/BeoMaster 5:
    1 Digital Coax (RCA/CINCH/PHONO) output 

BeoSound 5 Encore:
    NO Digital Coax (RCA/CINCH/PHONO) output

• 10-24-2011 8:13 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Maab:
    But I read some users are using the macmini, which I believe it has no powerlink connection.

In my posts I was mainly taking about "fully integrated" B&O audio or audio/video setups.
    Then the internal DSP of the BeoLab 5 is controlled via the volume data coming from the B&O
    audio/videosystem being transmitted through a fully mounted PowerLink cable.

If you want to use eg. a macmini (and no B&O audio/video system) Rookie's tips are absolutely valid.
    The internal DSP (volume control) of the BeoLab 5 is then directly controlled using a B&O remote
    - therefore no data from a B&O audio/videosystem are required (and also no PowerLink cables are needed)  

• 10-24-2011 8:49 PM In reply to

• Maab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-03-2011
    • Posts 70
    • Bronze Member

Thank you Vienna.

In your personal opinion what would make worth to get beomaster/beosound as opposed to macmini (and less $$)?

Would the sound be different in the two hypothetical systems?

Please note that I am not planning to get a B&O tv, and I don't know whether that would make or break the system.

I'll promise, I won't bother you again after this... for a while anyway.

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Page 1 of 3 (64 items) 1 2 3 Next >