in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-23-2011 8:12 AM by Tod Daniel. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (25 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-21-2011 11:14 AM

• rfc1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2008
    • Posts 166
    • Gold Member

Beocenter 2 or Beosound 4.

I am thinking of buying a smaller  B&O music center  to use in another room from my Beosystem 6500.  Can i ask you all for the pro's and con's between Beocentre 2 and Beosound  4.?   

Apart from the obvious price difference..............

Thanks Sandy.

• 10-21-2011 11:24 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Re: Beocenter 2 or Beosound 4.

Horses for courses

BC2 plays dvd's/cd's main problem is the master unit, as it must be 600 x 200 x 75, needs hiding(?) mine is behind a plant under an open plan staircase.

BS4 ideal if you have a car with an SD slot it becomes easier to play music from one source ie the card!

I have both, the BC2 always impresses when it opens up!

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 10-22-2011 10:39 AM In reply to

• rfc1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2008
    • Posts 166
    • Gold Member

Thanks for the input matey..

Sandy

• 10-22-2011 11:40 AM In reply to

BeoSound 5 with the disc drive. best audio system we make. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 10-22-2011 12:29 PM In reply to

• AdiS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Posts 196
    • Bronze Member

Sandy - you only want to listen to music in that room? If you like you can watch DVDs with BC 2. The BC 2 plays MP3-Discs - the BS 4 only Audio-CDs. 

• 10-22-2011 1:10 PM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Quote :- the BS 4 only Audio-CDs.

+ SD card material!

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 10-22-2011 2:08 PM In reply to

Hmmm that's a lot of money for incredibly outdated products. The BC2 is a total disgrace, it doesn't even have an HDMI output to upscale DVDs. If you have an iPhone or iPod would you not consider a funky little BeoSound 8?

• 10-22-2011 3:14 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

I've owned a BC2 and BS4. The BC2 was sold over a year ago....but the socket box is still screwed to the wall.

I've kept the BS4 and use it every day. Perfect for playing CDs, listening to the radio and have it connected wirelessly to my NAS drive, so can stream and control my music. I prefer the design of the BS4, too. BC2 is also expensive for what it offers.

And, as Paul says, the BS8 is worth considering. I now have some "funky" yellow speaker covers and this device gets more remarks than any other B&O equipment (and I have a lot of equipment)! People consistently say they want one. 

• 10-22-2011 4:07 PM In reply to

• rfc1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2008
    • Posts 166
    • Gold Member

I like to play my cd's so BS8 is not an option..  Think i am swayed to the BS4 , should all UK sold BS4's have DAB as standard?

Sandy

• 10-22-2011 4:09 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

rfc1:

I like to play my cd's so BS8 is not an option.. 

Can't you rip them uncompressed or with a small amount of compression, to a NAS drive? I barely put a CD in my BS4 and, if I do, I find they sound flat.

• 10-22-2011 4:33 PM In reply to

WOW Moxxey you must post a pic of the BS8 with yellow covers. I am crazy about yellow :)

(Currently sat making a playlist in iTunes & Pioneer Rekordbox ready to rock a party tomorrow night - so easy from a MacBook these days. The Pioneer CDJs think the files are CDs and you have full control of the CD players   clever!!!)

Sandy, do check the DAB feature!

• 10-22-2011 7:31 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

You can pick up cd's very cheaply now, so ripping not only gives you something like Apple lossless, but the ability to then broadcast that quality and very affordable media around the house.

All you need then is a wireless speaker made in Denmark to then hopefully be released before crimbo.....

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 10-22-2011 8:51 PM In reply to

Paul Winn:
    WOW Moxxey you must post a pic of the BS8 with yellow covers. I am crazy about yellow :)

I agree that Moxxey MUST post pictures ... I want to see what "funky" means

But Paul, I thought ORANGE was your passion !!

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-22-2011 8:55 PM In reply to

I will vote for the BC2. I recently buy a second hand unit and I am delighted by it. The socket unit could easily hidden somewhere. Bad point to not have HDMI output, but I will not connect it to a TV so it suits my need.

I get a Beoport, then a Beomedia 1 and it also plays flawlessly my mp3. Like you I was hesitating between the 2 products, but I was deceived of the form factor of the BS4, it is too big for me.

sergio

• 10-22-2011 8:59 PM In reply to

moxxey:

rfc1:

I like to play my cd's so BS8 is not an option.. 

Can't you rip them uncompressed or with a small amount of compression, to a NAS drive? I barely put a CD in my BS4 and, if I do, I find they sound flat.

I am confused !

First you said

moxxey:
     Perfect for playing CDs
    now you imply that they sound flat compared to captured files - my experience is the opposite although I do capture at high settings I am still lossy

And don't forget we want to see funky yellow pictures !

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-22-2011 9:01 PM In reply to

rfc1:
    i am swayed to the BS4 , should all UK sold BS4's have DAB as standard?

Be warned; DAB was an optional feature (here in AU), and there are two DAB standards - hopefully the UK stayed on the standard that the BS4 implemented (although I do believe that there is a chip upgrade available ....)

• 10-22-2011 10:08 PM In reply to

Very good point there Chris about that speaker!

Elephant, yes I love orange but Im a HUGE yellow fan too! I once decorated my chill out room in yellow and there was no way that you could be unhappy in it - it radiated positivity!

With lossless, I can't hear the difference between 320KBPS AAC and lossless. I think it must be the way an album is produced/recorded because some of my 128KBPS AAC files sound incredible!  Maybe my ears have had too many years locked in radio stations studios with high volumes!!!

• 10-23-2011 1:17 AM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

rfc1;

We used a BC2 before upgrading to a BS 3200. Last November I upgraded to a BS 4. I am very happy with the performance for a few reasons not mentioned above:

1. The recorded sound of an album of an SD card sounds remarkably distinct. My unit is connected to a Master Link and Beoport to our Home Theatre PC, and recording music to an SD card, and then playing it back that way is amazing. One can even tweak the BS 4 to record more music on SD cards larger than 2G. I like the fact that you can then read the album and the track title on the display when it plays, very easily.

2. In addition to recording a CD to SD, you can record local FM radio and music on this device to an SD card !

3. You can listen to different radio, DVD, CD, or SD music sources AT THE SAME TIME, in different rooms, using the BS 4. My wife can watch amplified televison in the living room, while my son listens to radio or recorded music in the library. I understood this was a feature of our older BC 2, yet we were never able to do this until we bought the BS 4.

4. We have our BS 4 on a 14 mm glass flatscreen shelf, in between two Beolab 4000 speakers, free floating if you will, on a wall mounted cabinet system. The flatscreen is next to that system, yet the digital sound is projected very well across the room.

Watching a DVD copy of MAIGRET ( Bruno Cremer series ) the other night, we noticed that various souunds like church bells, and the ocean were projecting off the blinds, around and behind us. A very nice stereophonic effect, which previously had not occurred with BS3200 or BC 2. ( Our HTPC is HDMI connected to the TV, with the Beoport mini-jacked to the HTPC )

5. The entire control area of the BS 4 is covered by the sliding glass face, and thus never requires cleaning or dusting. Nor does the base, unless it is moved now and then by hand.

I will caution that cleaning AROUND the BS 4 with a duster or cloth should be done with care, as this unit is quite light on its' own when freestanding on glass or granite.

• 10-23-2011 2:12 AM In reply to

SWISS_2:
    I like the fact that you can then read the album and the track title on the display when it plays, very easily.

As shown here :-)

SWISS_2:
    3. You can listen to different radio, DVD, CD, or SD music sources AT THE SAME TIME, in different rooms, using the BS 4.

I think only two sources at any one time: the main room and all masterlinked rooms ... the masterlink I think only supports one audio signal.

SWISS_2:
    4. We have our BS 4 on a 14 mm glass flatscreen shelf, in between two Beolab 4000 speakers, free floating if you will, on a wall mounted cabinet system. The flatscreen is next to that system,

sounds wonderful, can we have a picture ?

as you can see from the above my setup is not as good !

SWISS_2:
    One can even tweak the BS 4 to record more music on SD cards larger than 2G.

How do you do that ?

• 10-23-2011 3:10 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

elephant:

Paul Winn:

I agree that Moxxey MUST post pictures ... I want to see what "funky" means

I will. I have the yellow and red speaker covers. Was going to get the orange, but the shade (of orange) wasn't what I expected.

• 10-23-2011 3:13 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

elephant:

I am confused !

I was talking about the BS8 :) ie. if you bought a BS8, you could stream your ripped CDs to the BS8 from a NAS drive. I was trying to say a large CD collection mean you shouldn't completely rule out a BS8. CDs aren't a barrier to hearing your music.

• 10-23-2011 3:58 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

SWISS_2:
    One can even tweak the BS 4 to record more music on SD cards larger than 2G.

How do you do that ?

Dealer can upgrade to 8gb, depends on chip fitted(I think) - mine was a later model so just software! Took about 15 mins!

Hope this helps

• 10-23-2011 4:34 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Here you go. A quick and dirty photo from the iPhone (so, excuse the quality):

• 10-23-2011 4:39 AM In reply to

nice & neat 

I like it Yes -  thumbs up

• 10-23-2011 8:12 AM In reply to

Moxxey, that's awesome  nice shade of yellow! Pretty cool!

Page 1 of 1 (25 items)