in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-21-2011 8:52 AM by Dillen. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-21-2011 7:29 AM

Beogram 8000 speed problem

Hey everybody,

I just inherited a Beogram 8000 that once belonged to my grandfather that my dad recently had refurbished, along with some other stereo components. I've had it for about a week, but I'm very much a novice when it comes to this stuff, so I'm facing a problem that I have no idea how to solve.

The Beogram 8000 has been working fine for several days, but yesterday I found that when I turned it on, the record started spinning up way too fast -- I don't know the exact speed, but it's insanely fast, a lot faster than 45RPM, though the digital display is reading "33." (but does not include any numbers after the decimal point.)

As the turntable had been working perfectly before now, I'm hoping that it's a simple matter to correct. Unfortunately, I don't know what caused this speed issue to occur, but I'm guessing that it had to have been something minor. Right?

Would anyone be able to help me diagnose and fix this issue? What's happening here, and how do I get my records to play at a normal, non-demonic speed?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

• 10-21-2011 7:47 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beogram 8000 speed problem

Welcome to Beoworld !

If not already serviced, it's safe to say that your Beogram will be suffering
    from the standard age-related issues that affects all decks of this series.
    You can read a little more here:
    http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/34834/289100.aspx#289100

Martin

• 10-21-2011 8:18 AM In reply to

I'll definitely read up on it, but as I'm a true novice, I'm unfamiliar with most of the technical terms in the thread you linked. I'm certain that the turntable was recently serviced (within the last month), and like I said, it was playing perfectly up until yesterday. Is it possible that the platter is simply too high or too low?

• 10-21-2011 8:52 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

No.
    The speed problem is either a bad feedback from the optical sensor or unstability in the
    power supply and/or processor circuits.
    I've seen these symptoms countless times. (BTW the same goes for Beograms that were "recently serviced").

Pull out the mains plug, spin the platter by hand, I'm sure, it will spin completely free and if that is the
    case, there are no problems regarding the platter, bearings etc.

If it was serviced recently, I suggest you bring it back under warranty.
    It is my experience that out of 100 repairers, only 2 or 3 will be able to fully service a
    Beogram like this. Unfortunately, not all will tell you if they can't.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)