in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-28-2011 9:33 AM by TerryM. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (25 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-15-2011 2:49 PM

• EdouardG
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 339
    • Gold Member

B&O and products updates

Hi folks,

I've seen a lot of topics talking about members that aren't happy because their B&O devices aren't up-to-date, and I follow them.

It made me ask these questions to myself:

Why don't B&O give their clients the possibility to update products themselves?

B&O dealers can upgrade our devices so why couldn't we do it by ourselves?

It would be easier for them to include a usb cable usable with the device to let the clients download their sw update from i.e the B&O website (as they do for the TV systems) or a dedicated software-update website.

Then, B&O dealers wouldn't waste some time/money upadting products and clients would be very happy to know that their devices can always be improved.

This isn't a weakness for a company to sell products that aren't up-to-date if the company allows their clients to upgrade them themselves.

Look at Apple, and how clients are happy to download new sw updates themselves.

Do you agree with me?

Cheers and updates,

E d o u a r d  G

• Beovision 10-40 Orange MkII / Motorised stand / DVB HD T2/C MkIII
    • Beolab 5 Black
    • Beosound 8 Black
    • Beocom 2 MkII (Polished Alu)
    • Earset 2
    • Earset 3i
    • Form 2 Black
    • Beotime (Alarm Clock)
    • Keyring
    • Beo 6 / Wall charger
    • Beo 4  

°°°°°°°  2nd Prize Draw Winner - November '11 / Beolab 3000 N.O.S  °°°°°°°
  • 10-15-2011 2:57 PM In reply to

Re: B&O and products updates

This is an acknowledged weaknes. Back when the concept of a service call for an update came about, there wasn't much of a need. By the time the need became urgent, the hardware infrastructure did not exsit. 

Now with new models like the BeoSound 5 & Encore, automatic SW updates are becoming the standard. Going forward you won't see new products launched without this feature. As for the older products, who doesn't want a chance to have tea with their local B&O shopkeep?

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 10-15-2011 3:28 PM In reply to

• Todd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-01-2009
    • Columbus Ohio
    • Posts 136
    • Gold Member

Edouard G.

Yes I for one aggree! Especially in the very near future I'll be in the market for The New B&O products, but if what Trip is saying is true then

their shouldn't be much of a problem. "Beo Encore 5 & SW etc..et al.. updates are becoming a B&O Norm...Right'.... I do think that It should

remain a service that the dealers can offer for those who aren't the do it yourself AV instruction kinda person!

Todd

• 10-15-2011 3:47 PM In reply to

My experience: (my coffee means updating via USB and internet, cup of coffe withe my dealer means Update of my hardware in his shop)

Beosound 2: always my coffee

Beotalk 1200: No coffee needed after purchase

Serenata: No coffee needed after purchase

Beocom 5: Very expensive ...
    It started with a cup of coffee with my dealer. Two hours later a Beovision 8 stood in my living room (But I have to admit that I was looking for my first TV in my life for mor than 30 years), followed by two other cups with my dealer

Beovision 8: My coffee, but firmware updates by the dealer with his tools

Beosound 8: A cup of coffee with my dealer (replacement of a faulty system, otherwise it would have been a cup of coffee in Struer)

Recommendation for B & O: The Website should show the soft- and firmware history for each product (like it did with Beosound 2). Thus everybody can make a decision about his next cup of coffee.

Coffee

iPoditiv

• 10-15-2011 3:47 PM In reply to

• EdouardG
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 339
    • Gold Member

I understand you guys, you're right.

But do you think new customers or angry customers that don't understand why their high-priced devices aren't up to date, will like to waste some time having a coffee at their dealer?

Don't you think new customers will think B&O products are just good design but not good stuffs with a device having troubles because it's not up to date?

E d o u a r d  G

• Beolab 5 Black
    • Beosound 8 Black
    • Earset 2
    • Earset 3i
    • Form 2 Black
    • Beotime (Alarm Clock)
    • Keyring
    • Beo 6 / Wall charger
    • Beo 4  

• 10-15-2011 4:20 PM In reply to

• Todd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-01-2009
    • Columbus Ohio
    • Posts 136
    • Gold Member

EdouardG:

I understand you guys, you're right.

But do you think new customers or angry customers that don't understand why their high-priced devices aren't up to date, will like to waste some time having a coffee at their dealer?

Don't you think new customers will think B&O products are just good design but not good stuffs with a device having troubles because it's not up to date?

"Absolutely" Im at starbucks right now(A coffe & tea caffe in the states) I'm relaxed doing my personal business but when I'm getting ready

too expend $$$$ however many 00's and whatever decimal point knowing that its for B&O who I've already been groomed for top of the

line service... I'm expecting updates not only too be available but the device really should come already equipped! I can always get my

Coffee and or Tea at Starbucks where I will expect no less service for what they advertiseSmile

Todd

• 10-15-2011 4:26 PM In reply to

• petermc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Shepparton, Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Founder

Distance wise it would be great if even simple updates could be offered.

It's madness that I either have to lug my Beovision 10 two and a half hours to update the PUC or have Service come to my home for a 5 minute job.

Unfortunately not everyone lives 5 minutes from a store/service centre.

Peter
  • 10-15-2011 4:41 PM In reply to

• EdouardG
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 339
    • Gold Member

petermc:
    Distance wise it would be great if even simple updates could be offered.

It's madness that I either have to lug my Beovision 10 two and a half hours to update the PUC or have Service come to my home for a 5 minute job.

Unfortunately not everyone lives 5 minutes from a store/service centre.

Peter

You're totally right Peter! 

Even if I like a lot to see my B&O dealer, I would like B&o to provide me a way to upload PUC codes by myself too.

There are updates for every B&o products and I would like to do it myself.

E d o u a r d  G

• Beolab 5 Black
    • Beosound 8 Black
    • Earset 2
    • Earset 3i
    • Form 2 Black
    • Beotime (Alarm Clock)
    • Keyring
    • Beo 6 / Wall charger
    • Beo 4  

• 10-16-2011 4:40 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

EdouardG:

As some of them a firmware updates and, if they go wrong, you basically break your device. Also, sometimes the software doesn't "take". I've had many scenarios where a B&O engineer has sat down for an hour upgrading the sw on my BV7-40, packs up to leave, I ask him to double-check the sw on the TV and, when he does, it's still the old version! He has to then spend another hour - unpaid - updating it again.

This kind of software update isn't really the domain of the average home user. Remember we're mostly more techy than the average B&O customer.

• 10-16-2011 9:00 AM In reply to

• Todd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-01-2009
    • Columbus Ohio
    • Posts 136
    • Gold Member

moxxey:

EdouardG:

As some of them a firmware updates and, if they go wrong, you basically break your device. Also, sometimes the software doesn't "take". I've had many scenarios where a B&O engineer has sat down for an hour upgrading the sw on my BV7-40, packs up to leave, I ask him to double-check the sw on the TV and, when he does, it's still the old version! He has to then spend another hour - unpaid - updating it again.

This kind of software update isn't really the domain of the average home user. Remember we're mostly more techy than the average B&O customer.

"OH My Gosh, someone finally said itLightning YEA!!!! I just completed  the Refurb RL60.2 Refurb Collab W/Evman140...He's a natural

when it comes too techy repair, refurbing etc.. Car's , B&O and or anythingelse he can get those project fingerss on! But Me...I

need Prayer, instruction, supervision and still it seems I'm not getting it. Evman was far more patiient than those pictures looked. Now I

may be being a little over melodramatic because I actually like learning this stuffBig Smile and he is great working with and learning from; But he and you guys make it sound and look EASY! Not for us Average Folks!

AMEN! Moxxey!

Todd

• 10-16-2011 9:08 AM In reply to

Oh my gosh, it all sounds totally crazy to me!  So you have to pay for a dealer to visit your home to make your well overpriced thing work properly? And they wonder why the young generation just aren't interested? Wow!

• 10-16-2011 9:14 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

I have recently added a Beo 6 so needed a software update for my Mk3 7-40, and that was my choice. But. The Mk3 did have some known software faults, one of which is that it would turn itself off from time to time!

Question. If something that is covered under UK sales of goods act, depending on the "quality" for up to 6 years but a minimum of 1, should i be forking out money to fix those know faults?

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 10-16-2011 9:33 AM In reply to

• Todd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-01-2009
    • Columbus Ohio
    • Posts 136
    • Gold Member

My expierience with most not some youg people is; 1). B & O is overpriced already & to them Thats the 1st CRAZY I.E. you don't have the

young people market in any real revenue buying numbers! 2) The last thing this young people genteration is going to do is pay anything

more for a dealer or anyone else too come and update somth'n they've already considered overpriced and thats if you get'em to purchase

in the 1st place Their thought is that would be the 2nd CRAZY... So I think the issue being raised actually begins too help and correct what

otherwise is a small but unecessary prohibitive matter! if it seems that way to us B&O Devotee's what must it would seem to the non

buying yougWink

Todd

• 10-16-2011 9:54 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Paul Winn:

Oh my gosh, it all sounds totally crazy to me!  So you have to pay for a dealer to visit your home to make your well overpriced thing work properly?

It's free under warranty Paul.

I don't know any other electronic manufacturers who send around engineers, for free, under warranty? You have to send your device back to the company. Even with Apple products, you have to walk them to a local Apple Store. Have you ever tried that with a 27" iMac? Joke really.

• 10-16-2011 10:30 AM In reply to

• EdouardG
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 339
    • Gold Member

Hi guys,

Hope sunday's nice for you all.

I suggested this because it should be natural not to pay for technician to come and upgrade a high-priced product....so a self-updating solution would be welcome.

This self-updating solution will be necessary with B&O Play products cause B&O's aim, if I'm not mistaken, is to touch a young and new generation of clients, selling items at lower prices and at Apple stores, right?

Clients buying at Apple stores are used to this way of uploading new softwares, and I think that if B&O is not prepared to this, it's gonna be a real mess! 

That's my humble opinion ;)

Cheers,

E d o u a r d  G

• Beolab 5 Black
    • Beosound 8 Black
    • Earset 2
    • Earset 3i
    • Form 2 Black
    • Beotime (Alarm Clock)
    • Keyring
    • Beo 6 / Wall charger
    • Beo 4  

• 10-16-2011 11:05 AM In reply to

• Todd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-01-2009
    • Columbus Ohio
    • Posts 136
    • Gold Member

EdouardG:

Hi guys,

Hope sunday's nice for you all.

I suggested this because it should be natural not to pay for technician to come and upgrade a high-priced product....so a self-updating solution would be welcome.

This self-updating solution will be necessary with B&O Play products cause B&O's aim, if I'm not mistaken, is to touch a young and new generation of clients, selling items at lower prices and at Apple stores, right?

Clients buying at Apple stores are used to this way of uploading new softwares, and I think that if B&O is not prepared to this, it's gonna be a real mess! 

That's my humble opinion ;)

Cheers,

I think you've been Right On from the beginning in your suggestion; In my humble opinion! So, Cheerio & CheersSmile

Todd

• 10-16-2011 7:03 PM In reply to

Software updates should be free if you take your product to B&O.

Here, the service centre is outsourced so of course they are in business for themselves and need to make money.

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 10-17-2011 3:45 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

As I wrote in this thread I want to update the STB-C/PUC List of my Beovision 3.
    (Unfortunately no answers...).

This TV weight 45 kgs, I don't want to move it again.
    But how to upgrade/update it??
    It does not make sense at all to have a B&O technician come to my place to do this job.
    Would cost more than the TV is worth!

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 10-18-2011 5:29 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

BTW guys, despite our discussions about allowing end-users to be able to software update via the internet, this is a good reason why it can very easily go wrong:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2011/10/17/upgrading-to-ios-5-what-worked-and-what-didnt/

Magnify this to a TV like a BV7-40, and updating the firmware - which can take an hour - is so likely to go wrong, it could end up causing more problems that it solves, for novice customers.

• 10-18-2011 8:10 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-18-2011 6:33 PM In reply to

moxxey:

BTW guys, despite our discussions about allowing end-users to be able to software update via the internet, this is a good reason why it can very easily go wrong:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2011/10/17/upgrading-to-ios-5-what-worked-and-what-didnt/

So much for the 'flawless' Apple products Stick out tongueWhistle

• 10-27-2011 3:17 AM In reply to

• petermc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Shepparton, Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Founder

Apple TV (2nd generation) and Bang & Olufsen are made for each other

As reported on the B&O news page but you'll need your dealer/service agent to load the software to use/control the Apple TV on your B&O tv.

I understand there will always be people who will want the dealer to handle it but for all those who are happy to do it themselves (like the HD module update) why not make it available.

Can it be that hard?

Peter

• 10-27-2011 6:52 AM In reply to

My daughter has just gone to the Apple store to get her Mac fixed.

• 10-28-2011 1:44 AM In reply to

• petermc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Shepparton, Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Founder

Understand but a Mac is a little less cumbersome to lug around compared to a Beovision 10.

It would be akin to having to take the Mac in to service every time you needed the software upgraded.

I have no problems when a TV needs a major fix but for something that usually takes 5 minutes it's a big ask.

• 10-28-2011 9:33 AM In reply to

I would suggest that B & O could take a leaf out of Lumagen's book on how to issue firmware updates that are very easily user installed.

Page 1 of 1 (25 items)