in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-15-2011 7:35 AM by Karel Uyttendaele. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-14-2011 4:52 AM

• hotknife
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • Solingen/Germany
    • Posts 552
    • Bronze Member

Does the new BV7-40 3D make sence regarding 3D technology and screen size?

Hi guys,
    I`m asking myself if the 40" screen of the new BV7-40 3D really does make any sence. At the moment I do not care about any 3D films, but that could change in the future.

Im sitting 3.3m in front of a 40" screen and do not think the 3D technology does make any sence, because of the screen dimension. For 3D I was told someone has to use at least a 50-55" screen.

So the question is to buy one of the latest BV7-40 (I think it is MK4?) with 200hz, of to wait for the new BV4-40 (MK5?) with 3D technology arriving in autumn, even a 40" does not show 3D proper because of the screen size? I do not have any place for the BV-55 (and not the money) and do not like the BV10-46". So the 7-40 is the only alternative to replace my 8-40.

I also do have no idea if B&O will increase the price for the 3D? Do you think a 46" BV-10 show a proper 3D image?

BeoVision 8-40, ATV2, BeoSound 4, Front BeoLab 9, Rear Beolab 4000 MKII, Beo 4

• 10-14-2011 4:56 AM In reply to

Re: Does the new BV7-40 3D make sence regarding 3D technology and screen size?

Imho... 3D is only relevant as of +50"

B&O offering a 3D version of the 40"... they do it because the technology is here... but the screen is too small to have the full potential.

Saw a demo of 3D on the new 103".. that was impressive :-)

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 10-14-2011 5:01 AM In reply to

• hotknife
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • Solingen/Germany
    • Posts 552
    • Bronze Member

Karel,

103", o.k. I will sell my condo, buy the 103" and build a cottage round it. No way, 40" is the only one I can place in my living room.

BeoVision 8-40, ATV2, BeoSound 4, Front BeoLab 9, Rear Beolab 4000 MKII, Beo 4

• 10-14-2011 6:10 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

I think that there are to dimmensions to consider here: first of all, the Viewing Panel at B&O concluded that you need to cover the field of vision with the picture to make the 3D experience, well, a positive one. And they landed on 85 inches for a living room. That is a huge screen no matter how you look at itBig Smile The other thing is the simple fact that all high end panels being made today are 3D.

So the BV 7-series is too small for 3D and LCD is not the best panel type for 3D (plasma is better due to the different technology used) - but unless you have the cash and the space for a 4-85 (or the 103) you should hook up a 3D projector to your BV7 3D TV to fully enjoy the 3D experience. The panel on the 7-55 (mk2 vs mk1) is way better for 2D content, but I have not seen a 7-40 3D at this point in time so I do not know if this is the case here.  But if it is as good as the panel in the 7-55 mk2 then my recommendation would be to go for it (coming from someone who is replacing their 7-55 mk1 with the mk2 now Big Smile)

I do belive that more 7-series owners should investigate the installation of a motorised tab tension projector screen and a decent projector. It is so easy to hook and control with a BV7, and so elegant.

Roger

• 10-14-2011 8:11 AM In reply to

hotknife:

Karel,

103", o.k. I will sell my condo, buy the 103" and build a cottage round it. No way, 40" is the only one I can place in my living room.

What I actualy ment was that with the current technology 3D on screens smaller than (minimimum) 50" doesn't give you the complete 3D immersive experience. 

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 10-14-2011 10:41 AM In reply to

• quader
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-03-2007
    • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Gold Member

I agree with Roger by hooking up your BV7 40 to a motorised screen and projector

you get a cinema experience, i have had my projector upgraded to a 3d to watch it on a big screen and the quality is good , i would be interested to know if the 40 could be updated to 3d software so that its not too much have a problem disconnecting cables from the back of the tv to an adaptor just to watch 3d

the current setup to watch HD programmes is so easy to use on the bv7 40

• 10-14-2011 12:28 PM In reply to

The Vision Performance Institute, one of the primary research labs investigating 3D and the main consultant to Hollywood filmmakers, says that smaller screens will deilver the most satisfying 3D experience TO THE LARGEST AUDIENCE.

This means the larger the screen, the more potential exists for some people (who are prone to experience dizziness, headache, etc) to have a comfortable viewing experience OVER TIME.

B
  • 10-15-2011 7:35 AM In reply to

bsantini:
    The Vision Performance Institute, one of the primary research labs investigating 3D and the main consultant to Hollywood filmmakers, says that smaller screens will deilver the most satisfying 3D experience TO THE LARGEST AUDIENCE.

It's normal that their research comes to that conclusion... They're being paid to produce such reports :-)

Anyway... In my very humble personal opinion... 40" is just too small to enjoy 3D... and it has to allmost be completely dark too to experience the full effect ... and you need to wear addictional glasses.. Just try to invite a bunch of friends for a movie night.. :P :P :P The only thing that will be real 3D would be the beer :-)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)