in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-20-2011 3:29 PM by stotty1111. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-13-2011 2:11 PM

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

BC 8500 audio output / confirmation sought

Hi all

Spent part of the day getting the tape deck back in action - successfully!

Have now got another problem, one of the speaker 1 lines is not producing sound output, the headphone socket which isolates the speaker 1 output is working fine, ie 2 channel sound, but when unplugged as before only one channel output to the speakers.

Can anyone confirm this is probably the mute relay with either dirty or burnt out contacts

I recall other posts re this but have spent some time trying, unsuccessfully, to locate them.

Help please!!

Salut

Tony

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 10-14-2011 12:52 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 10-07-2010
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 103
    • Gold Member

Re: BC 8500 audio output / confirmation sought

Hi it has the right symptons of a relay problem.  Correct me if i am wrong, but you can connect 2 sets of speakers.  Do you hear nothing on both left and right on the first 2 outputs? Or only one side? 

• 10-14-2011 1:22 PM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Speaker 2 outputs are fine just one output on Speaker 1 is kaputt although when overidden by phones bothe channels on phones are fine - hence my assumption that the relay is the problem!

salut

tony

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 10-14-2011 2:43 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I'd say it is 90% likely to be the mute relay Tony (assuming there are no broken connectors). I had this exact problem with my BC9500 a few years ago & replaced it with a B&O part. Not sure if this part is still available but I think Maplins sell an equivalent. Same with the door belts, if your dealer won't or can't supply them, Maplins do a good quality 35mm cassette belt which will do the job perfectly well.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 10-16-2011 6:06 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Thanks Chris

as ever a wonderful source of info - if the mute relay is a double pole job(think it is ) and a 6v coil I have a box full of 'em from a previous endeavour, speed boards for r/c boats(servo control chip now obselete - baah \philips!!)

Will make a start tomorrow I hope as currently re ringing the base drivers on a pair of s80/2's!

cheers

tony

• 10-20-2011 3:29 PM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Updaqte,

now found some equivalent belts for the panels, a local Gitem (Euronics clone) had some, the audio panel now works, Need to sort the cord system for the cd panel now!

The mute relay now works, having stripped it form the board, discovered the clipping slots in the cover, got it off and cleaned the contacts with cleaner and also a quick swipe with 1200 grit wet and dry paper. Now remounted and works a treat.

The unit is now driving a pair of re ringed S80.2's - well impressed with the sound of them!

Hopefully it'll all be finished tomorrow!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)