in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-12-2011 3:41 PM by tompa. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-10-2011 2:40 PM

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Upgrading to Blu Ray on a Beovision 7-40 Mk3

I am thinking about getting my internal SD DVD player, upgraded to Blu Ray and wondered if anyone had already had this done. What make of DVD player is it? My main concern is that we currently download movies through Itunes but only at 720p(and they don't have Star WarsWink) The sound is great although i am told not as good as Blu ray! 

Personally i beleive the Blu Ray market will rapidly deminish as media of sufficiently equal quality is readily availble to store digitally, but alas the current library and quality is not there, yet. The DVD will simply follow the same route as the CD, as it's competitor the MP3, became the mass market of choice.

It's amazing that 10 years ago a 32 inch Avant, seen as a big television with a DVD player built in, was the pinnacle of AV media, And now just a blink away we can transmit media from a phone the size of a match box(without any buttons!!!) to a 3D 103 inch flat tv attached to a wall, albeit a sturdy one.

Regards Chris

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 10-10-2011 3:10 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Re: Upgrading to Blu Ray on a Beovision 7-40 Mk3

Chris:

The sound is great although i am told not as good as Blu ray! 

The BV7-40 Blu-ray drive does NOT support the DTS-HD audio format used on most recent Blu-rays, so you won't find the sound much better on a Blu-ray played through the internal drive.

You'd be much better buying an external player or, better, a much cheaper and more capable Playstation 3!

• 10-10-2011 3:15 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

I have 2 PS3's but i find them very noisy machines. What's the point of having an intergrated TV setup(internal dvd) if the back of the TV is plastered in Apple TV, Sky TV and a PS3? I may as well get a Panasonic/Sony etc and ditch the 7-40

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 10-10-2011 3:16 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Chris:

I am thinking about getting my internal SD DVD player, upgraded to Blu Ray and wondered if
    anyone had already had this done.

Yes, friends of mine got their MKIIIs updated.

+ PLUS +

Excellent BluRay picture & sound.

- MINUS -

Due to power supply limitations, MKIII can only be upgraded
    EITHER with Blu-ray OR the internal DVB-HD module 

Slower start up than DVD

As far as I know, you'll loose some playback formats like CD-MP3, JPEG, DivX

• 10-10-2011 3:23 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

All my CD's are now Apple Lossless and long gone so cd/mp3 isn't a problem, thank you.

• 10-10-2011 3:40 PM In reply to

Hi Chris, I believe the built in player is a Samsung - something that i find a little worrying! You are probably paying 7 times more than you should for having the player built in. It very much sounds like a £100 player selling for £700 upwards.  It's a shame that you won't consider say a new Pioneer 440 or even a Sony or Panasonic for less than £200 which will give you a far better and indeed reliable performance. (You can always throw it away when downloading reaches a level that makes you happy).  You should maybe read a post by Seanie as he has had a lot of problems with the drive in his 7-40

• 10-10-2011 3:50 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Madening isn't it. At the very least i would have thought it would have been a top of the range model. £700!

People at work laugh at me for buying B&O, as they believe it's all Phillips rapped up in Sheeps clothingUnsure

• 10-10-2011 4:20 PM In reply to

I have a BR player in my BV7-55, but today I would prefer an Oppo 93/95 player, it is excellent in the picture and sound and can decode DTS-MA. Further it is quite fast, it supports DNLA and can even play MKV files. Just the specifications are amazing!
    http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-95/
    And, it can be controlled via PUC.

There is something about B&O.....

• 10-10-2011 4:47 PM In reply to

Yes the Oppo is certainly the machine that is recommended by B&O. 

I'm kind of in the same boat as you Chris as i love iTunes, tend to use it for everything and since im in hotel rooms 4-5 nights a week around the country, I guess my iPhone and MacBook are my main viewing choice for films etc.

I guess the real consolation for buying a great Bly Ray player is that your existing DVDs will look awesome on it! It's a debate the guys and myself at the gym have had many discussions on. When I ask the guys in their early 20s they look at me as though im old hat when i mention blu-ray. To them it's all download, download, download.  I'm sure in 2 years time we'll probably have forgotten about blu-ray and be streaming with our 100mb broadband!

• 10-10-2011 5:20 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Vienna:

+ PLUS +

Excellent BluRay picture & sound.

How does your Blu-ray player decode the audio on a DTS-HD Blu-ray? Surely it just uses the standard Dolby 5.1 stream which is what you'd get on the SD DVD or downloadable movie.

• 10-11-2011 3:31 AM In reply to

I bought a Panasonic DMP-BDT310 and i have to say it is exceptional and works perfectly with my BV7 through my iPhone!

-Dimitris

• 10-11-2011 9:21 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

I can rip Blu Ray from the PS3 to the Mac, then use Apple tv buti'm back to only 720p again! 

• 10-11-2011 9:57 AM In reply to

720p is pretty amazing in picture quality though isn't it?

• 10-11-2011 12:54 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Chris:

I can rip Blu Ray from the PS3 to the Mac, then use Apple tv buti'm back to only 720p again! 

And no HD audio.

Blu-ray isn't all about the picture you know. You can get nearly as good picture from 720p and/or a HD movie through Sky.

Half the reason for owning a Blu-ray is the uncompressed/HD audio you get from the disc. As I said above though, the B&O BV7 Blu-ray doesn't handle the most important most used format, DTS-HD, which means half the reason for buying a Blu-ray has gone out of the window.

I can't remember the last time I bought a Blu-ray, despite owning a BV7-40 Blu-ray and a PS3! Mostly I wait for movies to reduce in price - which is only a couple of months after release - and buy the SD version reduced or wait for it to appear on Sky HD.

Blu-rays are a luxury item and overpriced. They rarely come down in price and, when they do, it's many months after the release. You must really want a movie to buy it on Blu-ray as, IMHO, few movies you come back to over and over again. Movies are not like listening to a CD track. Once you've seen a movie a couple of times, a person needs to be fairly forgetful to sit through the same film a third time around. There are, of course, exceptions to this, but on the whole most modern movies are fairly throwaway.

• 10-11-2011 1:53 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

To be honest, we do watch some movies especially for the kids quite often. I've personally watched Blade Runner, Tron Legacy, Where Eagles Dare, Kickass etc loads of times. I don't want to watch a film in SD on my HD tv because of cost though. With an AV system costing nearly £20,0000, cost is not really our main concern.

I agree we don't by Blu Ray that often, but that is mainly because the player is upstairs on a bloody Sharp tv, reserved for BC2! We still have a draw full of the stuff though.

• 10-11-2011 2:01 PM In reply to

moxxey:

Chris:

And no HD audio.

Blu-ray isn't all about the picture you know. You can get nearly as good picture from 720p and/or a HD movie through Sky.

Half the reason for owning a Blu-ray is the uncompressed/HD audio you get from the disc. As I said above though, the B&O BV7 Blu-ray doesn't handle the most important most used format, DTS-HD, which means half the reason for buying a Blu-ray has gone out of the window.

I can't remember the last time I bought a Blu-ray, despite owning a BV7-40 Blu-ray and a PS3! Mostly I wait for movies to reduce in price - which is only a couple of months after release - and buy the SD version reduced or wait for it to appear on Sky HD.

Blu-rays are a luxury item and overpriced. They rarely come down in price and, when they do, it's many months after the release. You must really want a movie to buy it on Blu-ray as, IMHO, few movies you come back to over and over again. Movies are not like listening to a CD track. Once you've seen a movie a couple of times, a person needs to be fairly forgetful to sit through the same film a third time around. There are, of course, exceptions to this, but on the whole most modern movies are fairly throwaway.

Hi moxxey,

and what´s about the new BV 7-55 3D and the new BV 7-40 3D: Does their Blueray-player handle DTS-HD??

/Räuber

• 10-11-2011 2:30 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

If i was getting customised top of the range model, like most customers would expect and trust B&O to put inside then i'd fork out the money. I'm not expecting a small company like B&O to re invent the wheel but...£700Erm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SH-B123L-BSBP-Blu-ray-Software/dp/B003XIM3QK/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1318357645&sr=1-1

• 10-12-2011 2:03 AM In reply to

• tompa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-30-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 94
    • Bronze Member

Do the uppgrade it´s well money spent !

1. Samsung it's one of the largest electronic company wordwide, and the laserpart and some ic is from them,the rest it´s

b&o made (mechanic slide for disc,powersupply,picture engine) so they NOT built in a samsung blueray without box inside tv-set)

same as the pioneer drive that you have now in MKIII, and LCD panel samsung that all bv7-40 have (not the samt picture as samsung Right?)

it´s specially made for b&o and then b&o cutomized it

2. you have possibilities to get picture to link tv sets (not easy with converter and external BD it cost the same total as build in)

3. No boxes outside of tv etc 

• 10-12-2011 3:47 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

tompa:

2. you have possibilities to get picture to link tv sets (not easy with converter and external BD it cost the same total as build in)

Which judder. Watch a Blu-ray on a link room TV and the picture quality isn't great - it misses frames. The link system doesn't send digital data, so it's not going to be able to push HD video/audio to link room TVs.

Personally I don't see how it's money well spent at all. Unless you have tons of spare cash, I guess.

• 10-12-2011 5:10 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

More to contemplate. Thanks TompaYes -  thumbs up

• 10-12-2011 8:01 AM In reply to

Im really not convinced.  Hmm Samsung drive.  Samsung, the McDonalds of the electronics industry hmmm.

Put it another way, would you ever come across Samsung in the studio, broadcast or pro use? Er, no

• 10-12-2011 10:28 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Paul Winn:

Im really not convinced.  Hmm Samsung drive.  Samsung, the McDonalds of the electronics industry hmmm.

Put it another way, would you ever come across Samsung in the studio, broadcast or pro use? Er, no

Whose drive should they use?

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-12-2011 10:41 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

I could only find this..

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/best-blu-ray-player-2011-10-recommended-947894

Want a bloody projector now so expect a new thread[:'(]

• 10-12-2011 3:41 PM In reply to

• tompa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-30-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 94
    • Bronze Member

I have not say you get HD quality in linkroom, but you get picture !  

if you have a complete linksystem in house with for example AVANT 32dvd or 32VCR and dvd1 and now you go flat and buy for example bv7-40 you maybe still want the possibilties to watch dvd in for example bedroom 26/32 inch tv-set and 3-4 meters distance i would say it doesn´t matter if dvd is SD or HD...  Right? 

Page 1 of 1 (24 items)