in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-15-2011 9:18 AM by beofan. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-10-2011 12:06 PM

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

Beomedia 1 problem - WindowsXP Admin screen?

Helleo there

I wonder if anyone can advise me how to sort out the following problem. I recently bought a Beomedia 1 second hand and it has been working fine - but now for some reason when I turn it on, instead of going to the Bang & Olufsen "N.Music/N.Radio/Photos/Web" screen it will now only open the the Windows XP Administrator log on screen. I have tried turning it off and then back on again but get no other screens. As it is a second hand purchase I do not have any password  to log on with; and having done a Google search for methods of getting past Windows XP Administrator screens without the known password they all involve downloading files or loading CDs into the computer - not possible with the Beomedia 1 unit. Has anyone had a similar problem, or know how to deal with it ? Thanks.

• 10-11-2011 1:10 AM In reply to

• hfat
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-18-2010
    • Austria
    • Posts 176
    • Gold Member

Re: Beomedia 1 problem - WindowsXP Admin screen?

Hello,

I think nobody has the admin pwd of BM1. It happend to me also some time ago after i tried to change some network privileges within xp. The easiest way to solve this is to do a recovery procedure. Your media will stay unmodified, just the BM1 partition is set to factory setting.

hfat

• 10-11-2011 2:44 AM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

hfat:

Hello,

I think nobody has the admin pwd of BM1. It happend to me also some time ago after i tried to change some network privileges within xp. The easiest way to solve this is to do a recovery procedure. Your media will stay unmodified, just the BM1 partition is set to factory setting.

Hi there

Thanks for your reply, the "recovery procedure" you mention ? When I turn the unit on it very briefly goes to a black screen with a couple of lines of text (this screen has a time interval countdown of about 5 seconds, so it disappears very quickly). There are two options on it and I think the second is "Beomedia 1 recovery' (something like that) - the only problem is there is no cursor on this screen and I cannot find a way to highlight and select this second option? Is this because I am using an Apple keyboard plugged into the Beomedia unit, does it need to be a PC/Microsoft type keyboard (is there even a difference?). Is this "Beomedia Recovery" the procedure that you refer to ? Thanks.

• 10-11-2011 3:05 AM In reply to

• hfat
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-18-2010
    • Austria
    • Posts 176
    • Gold Member

Yes, the second option, is the option I ment.

Using the up an down arrow should move the selection and disable the timer. Did you connect the keyboard voa usb? perhaps you can try connecting the keyboard to the ps2 socket.

hfat

• 10-11-2011 4:04 AM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

hfat:

Yes, the second option, is the option I ment.

Using the up an down arrow should move the selection and disable the timer. Did you connect the keyboard voa usb? perhaps you can try connecting the keyboard to the ps2 socket.

Thanks for your quick reply - yes, the keyboard is connected via the usb socket. The ps2 socket is the purple multi-pin socket on the left ? I would need to get some sort of adaptor. I will get hold of one and try that. Could you tell me what happens when I select the "Beomedia recovery" option, does it return the screen to the "N.Music/N.Radio/Photos/Web" screen ?

• 10-11-2011 4:29 AM In reply to

• hfat
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-18-2010
    • Austria
    • Posts 176
    • Gold Member

I did a quick test: on my XP PC a mac keyboard connected via USB  worked correctly.

The recovery procedure reinstalls the BeoMedia software in it's partition to factory settings und the N.Music/N.Radio... screen will reapear. This will take serveral minutes after that you have a fresh beomedia installation. Usually short after that beomedia updated itself to the latest version. Your media will stay unmodified.

hfat

• 10-11-2011 5:16 AM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

hfat:

I did a quick test: on my XP PC a mac keyboard connected via USB  worked correctly.

The recovery procedure reinstalls the BeoMedia software in it's partition to factory settings und the N.Music/N.Radio... screen will reapear. This will take serveral minutes after that you have a fresh beomedia installation. Usually short after that beomedia updated itself to the latest version. Your media will stay unmodified.

Ok, thanks for doing that keyboard test, I don't know why the direction arrows are not doing anything on my keyboard , but I will try plugging it into the ps2 socket with an adaptor. One question, when you say "your media will stay unmodified" you mean that the procedure does not delete any of the music that is loaded on the machine ? 

• 10-11-2011 5:37 AM In reply to

beofan:
    Ok, thanks for doing that keyboard test, I don't know why the direction arrows are not doing anything on my keyboard , but I will try plugging it into the ps2 socket with an adaptor.

A word of warning: an adaptor alone won't necessarily solve this. The USB and PS/2 keyboard interfaces aren't compatible at the signal level either; the keyboard needs to be a special multimode model for an adaptor to work. I don't know how the Apple keyboards are, but knowing that Macs don't have PS/2 keyboard interfaces...

I can't see why an USB keyboard wouldn't work, though. Do the numlock LEDs etc. work? If not, the keyboard isn't even receiving power and you might try another USB socket.

-mika

• 10-11-2011 6:23 AM In reply to

• hfat
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-18-2010
    • Austria
    • Posts 176
    • Gold Member

yes, i mean that the procedure does not delete any of your music files.

hfat

• 10-11-2011 9:55 AM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:
    I can't see why an USB keyboard wouldn't work, though. Do the numlock LEDs etc. work? If not, the keyboard isn't even receiving power and you might try another USB socket.

Well I have had a chance to have another attempt using the Apple keyboard and the other usb socket (before getting a ps2 adaptor) - I have discovered that the direction arrow keys do work, but only at the point that the second screen (WindowsXP Admin log on) has appeared. For some reason (maybe the unit is taking too long to detect the keyboard) by the time the "countdown" has finished on the first screen (it's less than 5 seconds) the unit switches to the Admin log on screen and there doesn't seem to me a way to get back to the first screen where it is possible to select "Beomedia recovery". Would anyone know if it is possible to stop or change the length of the countdown on the first screen, so that the unit will have time to detect the attached keyboard. I don't understand the purpose of the countdown anyway, why is it needed?

• 10-11-2011 10:14 AM In reply to

• hfat
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-18-2010
    • Austria
    • Posts 176
    • Gold Member

The screen with the two lines is the xp boot screen shown in a multi boot environment. So at this time no operating system is loaded. That's maybe the reason why the usb keyboard is not dedected.

hfat

• 10-11-2011 10:31 AM In reply to

hfat:
    The screen with the two lines is the xp boot screen shown in a multi boot environment. So at this time no operating system is loaded. That's maybe the reason why the usb keyboard is not dedected.

You're right. Dunno about the Beomedia, but many motherboards have direct USB keyboard support (emulating a PS/2 interface until the OS takes over). The only problem is that it usually needs to be explicitly enabled in the BIOS setup, and you can't get there without a keyboard!

Regarding the keyboard adapter, it would be wiser to use a keyboard that has been proven to work in PS/2 mode. Unless somebody can confirm the Apple keyboards are like that, I think it might save some trouble to go looking for a native PS/2 keyboard ($1 at a thrift store, and half your friends have one stowed in a closet) instead of an adapter.

-mika

• 10-11-2011 11:05 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

does the beo4 up and down not move the cursor?

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 10-11-2011 1:56 PM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

hfat:

Ok, so in that case how would one select the Beomedia recovery option, since that involves moving the hightlight line down and then selecting it ?

• 10-11-2011 1:59 PM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

Seanie_230:
    does the beo4 up and down not move the cursor?

Unfortunately it does not, tried that early on - I'm wondering if the Beomedia is meant to respond to a B & O TV remote control  at this stage of loading ?

• 10-12-2011 8:19 AM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

Update - well the good news is that I have got the Beomedia unit back to it's "operating" screen and can now select from the "N.Music... etc".

The answer was to buy a ps2 type keyboard to enable the selection of "Beomedia Recovery" (which took about 10mins to run) - so don't try using a usb keyboard as it is only partially functional. Thank you to all the people that came up with suggestions/help.

Now, the next problem - I'm using the Beomedia with an Apple Mac mini, I've loaded Beoconnect but on N.Radio I get the message "cannot find server", so it is not yet fully connected. In Beoconnect, under "Manage Products" I've typed in it's IP number and a description name (it wasn't "discovered" automatically) and now I get asked for a password - since I have not set one up anywhere is this a password that the previous owner has logged? (in which case how do I clear it and put my own in?).

• 10-13-2011 1:26 AM In reply to

• hfat
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-18-2010
    • Austria
    • Posts 176
    • Gold Member

Glad to hear BM1 is working again. Assuming you need to set a new client password in BM1 you can do it within the configuration menu.

Press the red button or the key "r" on the keyboard. The configuration menu is displayed, where you will se the selection network settings.

Activate network settings an set the client password. I think this should work without knowing the old pwd.

hfat

• 10-14-2011 12:20 PM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

hfat:

Press the red button or the key "r" on the keyboard. The configuration menu is displayed, where you will se the selection network settings.

Activate network settings an set the client password. I think this should work without knowing the old pwd.

I have got to the Configuration menu and it has 4 options "Systems Info/Network Info/ Maintenance/ Setting" - under "Setting" there are 5 lines , "Display timeout/Display timeout darken level/ N.Music sound icons/ N.Radio sound icons/ Extend character set" - no reference to password or change password ? Checking the other 3 options I cannot see any mention of password selection/change there either. Is this configuration screen the correct one, or is it different according to which software edition in loaded on the Beomedia ( this is 3.00.15   - firmware 0x189 ?). 

• 10-15-2011 12:46 AM In reply to

• hfat
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-18-2010
    • Austria
    • Posts 176
    • Gold Member

Sorry I forgot you have to extend the setting menu. Please highlight the option settings in thr configuration menu. Then press 0 0 go (beo4) or 0 0 enter (keyboard) and new options will appear below. You will see the option network settings.

Hfat
  • 10-15-2011 9:18 AM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

hfat:
    Sorry I forgot you have to extend the setting menu. Please highlight the option settings in thr configuration menu. Then press 0 0 go (beo4) or 0 0 enter (keyboard) and new options will appear below. You will see the option network settings.

Hi there

Thank you very much for all your useful advice on setting up the Beomedia, that last message was the key to the puzzle. I managed to set a new password and then the Mac mini could "discover" the Beomedia through Beoconnect, even managed a quick "test transfer" of some songs off iTunes, all successful. Many thanks - I can now spend some happy evenings settings up a selection of music.

Smile

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)