in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-24-2011 5:07 PM by Blackrix. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-09-2011 2:10 AM

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

"An old cupboard" - Master 38RG Project

An elderly woman put an old cupboard up for sale last december, the story goes like this:
    She had it for years and with its suitable height it saw use as the platform for the family telly.
    It was empty inside and she thought long and hard about what to put in there. It would be a
    shame not to use the considerable amount of storage space it could provide but, knowing that access to
    the cupboard contents would be a bit difficult, she decided that the garden chair cushions and carpets
    would be about the only perfect things to fit in there since they wouldn't require access more than twice a year.
    You see, the problem with this cupboard was that it opened at the top rather than the front so the
    big television set had to be lifted off to open the lid and she was not able to do that on her own.
    It was a nice looking piece of furniture and it was taken great care of for many years but the day came
    when a new flatscreen TV entered the building. With the new purchase fixed directly onto the wall, the
    cupboard was now only in the way.
    That is, up until now it had served two functions, a primary and a secondary, but from now on it would
    only do one, that being the secondary, and that wasn't quite enough to justify its presence so therefore
    the garden accessories found other means of winter storage and the cupboard was put up for sale.

I bought it.

The nice old lady asked me what on earth made a person make a roundtrip of apprx 800 Km plus
    an expensive bridge in minus 15 degrees C, on extremely icy roads and with high winds to pick up this old thing ?
    I told her that the sole reason I did this, was that I have been collecting old radios for more than 35 years.
    Not quite understanding the connection, she asked me again: "But why this cupboard, then ?".
    I turned it around and pointed at the backside: "You see, it says Bang & Olufsen on the back, it's
    an old radiogram cabinet!".
    - "Ah..", she said, "- so the heart-shaped cutout with the cloth at the front is where the music would come out?".
    - "Exactly!"
    She had wondered about that for years and never quite figured it out but she liked the look of it nevertheless.
    - "But it's empty", she said, almost excusing herself.
    - "Yes, I know", I replied, " - you stated that in the ad, but I hope to fill it up again with what was originally in there".
    She wished me the best of luck, surely shaking her head in disbelief as I disappeared around the
    first corner, most likely assuming I must be nuts.
    Little did she know just how correct her assumption was.

And this is how the story about this Master 38RG project begins. Where it (if it ever) ends, noone knows.

Martin

• 10-09-2011 2:37 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: An old cupboard ...

I may have bought a dead horse.
    That is, it really IS a nice cupboard but, honestly, there's not a big hope for this beauty to ever become whole again.
    Well, I suppose I may be able to fit something in there and I can probably make it play some sounds but
    I would never expect it to be all original again.
    Not a huge amount were produced, maybe less than a hundred, so finding correct parts to
    complete it will surely prove very difficult, if not downright impossible.
    I will update this thread whenever (if ever) any progress is made with this project.

Martin

• 10-09-2011 2:58 AM In reply to

Dead horse or not, the only one I know who would do 800 Km on icy roads to by a storage cabinet is ---- MARTIN. Martin you surprice me time and time again.

Anyway it looks nice, and will be a nice mueble "at stille fra sig på" (to put things on) just like a grand piano if you cant play it.Big Smile

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 10-09-2011 3:53 AM In reply to

well done on the rescue mission !!!

let us hope the restoration mission can take place at some point in the future

until then you have something gorgeous to look

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-09-2011 5:19 AM In reply to

I love it! Yes -  thumbs up In the meantime, it would make a great stealth subwoofer cabinet Laughing

Was the original radio part of the chassis the same as the other Master 38 models?

(which reminds me, I should take a couple of pics of my Master 38K for the product pages, the one from the Thorgesen collection is poor quality and seems to have an incorrect speaker cloth)

-mika

• 10-09-2011 5:51 AM In reply to

• valve1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 213
    • Gold Member

Great story , I am always amazed at how beoworlders spot these deals. Good luck with the missing radio.

• 10-09-2011 12:03 PM In reply to

Dillen:
    The nice old lady asked me what on earth made a person make a roundtrip of apprx 800 Km plus
    an expensive bridge in minus 15 degrees C, on extremely icy roads and with high winds to pick up this old thing ?

Just so you understand the effort that went into this. In the winter in Denmark the icy roads are dangerous, there are stretches totally clean and good to drive on,  but nearly always wet. At minus 15 degrees C the salt and chemicals they use stops working, and you get "Black ice", you cant see it, but you will surely feel it, its like driving on an icehockey rink. I suppose Martin used some 16 driving houers for the 800 KM round trip, and as you only have some 6-7 hours daylight in Denmark in the winter, most of it in the dark.

Dillen:
    She wished me the best of luck, surely shaking her head in disbelief as I disappeared around the
    first corner, most likely assuming I must be nuts.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 10-09-2011 12:43 PM In reply to

Will keep my eye on this, maybe I'm lucky to find another one and it will be yours Martin! 

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 10-09-2011 2:00 PM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Wow, this radiogram cabinet looks beautiful!

I know a bit about old valve radios (I have several, but alas no B&O, as rare as hens' teeth here), and this one must have sounded awesome... it used CY1 (rectifier), CF1, CF3 and CBL1 (output, 4W max) valves. 

Good luck on your new quest then!

Jacques

• 10-09-2011 2:41 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Søren Mexico:

Dead horse or not, the only one I know who would do 800 Km on icy roads to by a storage cabinet is ---- MARTIN. Martin you surprice me time and time again.

Says the man who FREQUENTLY drives several hundred miles between Texas and Mexico City to feed his Beovirus........

LaughingLaughingLaughing

Of course, I've also made the several hundred mile round trip, to JaffBay....

UnsureEmbarrassed

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 10-09-2011 2:43 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Really quite beautiful, Martin.  Good luck on your project!

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 10-09-2011 4:08 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

A beautiful story - and even if it doesn't get restored you've certainly saved a piece of B&O history which gets my thumbs up. Yes -  thumbs up

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 10-13-2011 12:23 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Thanks guys, really nice to know that I have your support.
    I will need it.  Laughing

Not a lot of Master 38RGs were produced and even fewer are known to exist.
    Actually, I only know of one complete set.
    I know who owns it and I have contacted him for information etc. It would be a huge help to me if I could find out
    how things once were inside my cabinet.
    However, the owner doesn't seem too fond of communication, I never had a reply from him so I suppose
    I am left pretty much on my own and I will have to make do with what little info and photos, I can find on the net
    and elsewhere.
    Yes Mika, I think the radio chassis is basically the same as sees use in the tabletop model Master 38K, the
    original service manual covers both models but gives no info on the fitting etc.
    Finding a Master 38 chassis shouldn't be too difficult but even with a good one at hand there will
    be lots of details unknown and questions unanswered.

Under the large lid on top, it should look like this (borrowed photo):

Mine looks like this...

Clearly, I am missing quite a few essentials...

Martin

• 10-13-2011 1:13 PM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Dillen:
    Clearly, I am missing quite a few essentials...

To take on a project like this, you clearly areLaughingLaughing That's why we like you.

Can't wait to see how it progresses

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 10-14-2011 3:15 PM In reply to

Martin, i'm sure you did this already but just in case (sometimes the obvious is not thought about..): doesn't the previous owner know anything about the history, and who took the "heart" out ? :).

It may well still be in an old barn or attick, that generation (in those days of war and starvation) wasn't keen on throwing things away..

• 10-15-2011 3:18 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

You're right, Paul. And I did ask, but the owner knew nothing about it, she and her late husband
    got the cabinet as-is many decades ago.

Last night in the dungeons, I found a speaker.
    This is a Perma Kino I from a Master 38K. If the radiogram version used the same speaker, it
    will be useful for the project.
    If I look closely, maybe I can spot holes or other traces from the fitting of the original speaker.
    I could have wished for a better condition but repairs can be done to it if I can't find a better one.

Martin

• 10-15-2011 3:17 PM In reply to

What is the diameter and pull of this speaker ?

• 10-16-2011 1:39 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The outer diameter is apprx. 24,5 cm so it's close to being a 10 inch driver.

I visited a very good friend and fellow B&O collector today and picked up this little, sad looking thing.

Being a Master 38K, it has a chassis, a nice dial and glass, power plug and a couple of knobs suitable for my project.
    That is, I assume the chassis used in the radiogram and tabletop models were identical.
    The speaker could easily turn out to be in better condition than the one, I found the other day but I'm
    still not convinced that it is the correct one for the radiogram model. I will have to find out.
    Not easy to see in the photos, but the cabinet of this Master 38K is completely warped, most of the veneer has gone and
    everything is practically held together with scotch tape. In other words; A good parts donor potential for the project.

Martin

• 10-16-2011 2:23 AM In reply to

• valve1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 213
    • Gold Member

Another great find ! This project is off to a good start.

• 10-18-2011 2:16 AM In reply to

• RUDYV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-31-2008
    • Belgium
    • Posts 52
    • Gold Member

Hi Martin,

I'm surprised about the condition of the cabinet.

It looks great.

Here is what I found regarding the speaker.

According to the service documentation the Master 38 and Master 38 RG used a Perma Kino I, like the one on the picture.

The Master de Luxe 38 used a Perma kino II (Gigant) and the Master de Luxe 38 RG used a Perma kino II (Gigant) and 2 Perma Junior speakers.

Rudy

• 10-20-2011 2:04 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Thanks Rudy, greatly appreciated ! Yes -  thumbs up

Martin

• 10-20-2011 2:06 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

If you were me, having the above project and given the opportunity to pick up this thing (below),
    - Would you do it ?
    - And in the given case, why ?

Martin

• 10-20-2011 3:07 PM In reply to

• RUDYV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-31-2008
    • Belgium
    • Posts 52
    • Gold Member

Hi Martin,

I saw this cabinet, advertised as B&O radio, about  2 months ago on a Danish site, if I remember well.

The interesting parts for me....  the knobs.

Why didn't I buy it?

It was the size of the cabinet that made me decide not to buy it.

Rudy

• 10-20-2011 3:40 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Knobs yes, but look closer and you will see what made this "second cupboard" the find of the year for me.

Martin

• 10-20-2011 3:51 PM In reply to

The black front is the original one for the Master 38RG? So it is the origial chassis of a 38RG?

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >