in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-10-2011 4:31 PM by Step1. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-08-2011 7:30 PM

MX4000 repair question

Hi Workbench...

I have an MX4000 I'm hoping to repair (and save from landfil). I've repaired a Sony CRT before, so I thought I would give this a go. Unfortunately, I did not get the remote and hope to see if I can fix it before I do (would have to buy on Ebay, as hard to source here in New Zealand).

I've used posts in this forum to take apart a MX4000, with much thanks! But don't see a post with quite my symptoms and don't see any obvious issues when looking things over.

Anyway, when I power it on using the button on the front of the tv (I assume this should power it up?) it goes from red to green and back. No noises and flashes of lightening. Previous owner described the usual experience: "one day it wouldn't turn on"

Fuse is not blown. Boards look fine, if a bit dusty.

I've done capacitors on iMacs and Apple Time Machines, but usually they're swollen. Don't see any of that here

Thanks for any help of where to begin.

ps... do stains like this mean anyhing (pardon my ignorance): http://ilab.co.nz/beovision1

Filed under:
  • 10-10-2011 4:10 PM In reply to

Re: MX4000 repair question

Hi and welcome.

The red status means that the standby voltage is present, the change mode to green and then to red agai can have several causes, maybe a defective cap or a defective solder joint, or thousand other causes. :).

U had this problem on a tv and the solution was to replace all caps on the mainboard, none was damaged but all was deeply out the nominal value; maybe this could be the problem...

Sorry I don't have direct experience on this tv but this reply is better than nothing :)))

Eugenio Colazzo

• 10-10-2011 4:31 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Re: MX4000 repair question

If you had the remote I would suggest trying it in Audio mode which could straight away narrow things down to Line timebase or PSU.

I suggest looking for dry joints in the PSU and checking the transistor that drives the chopper. Then look at the big transistor driving the LOPT and the one that drives that too also drys around this area too.

Drys are usual with these sets as everything is packed in tight and gets pretty warm!

I am not trained in tellies but these are all faults I have seen and tackled a few times before although the usual warnings about lethally high voltages apply (the big fat cap in the smpsu probably more than the final anode!) so do any repairs at your own risk..

Good luck :-)

Olly.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)