in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-05-2011 5:43 PM by Tod Daniel. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-05-2011 5:47 AM

New Marketing campaign...

Source: http://www.4-traders.com/BANG-OLUFSEN-B-1412850/news/BANG-OLUFSEN-B-Bang-Olufsen-unveils-new-global-marketing-campaign-13826244/

Bang & Olufsen B : Bang & Olufsen unveils new global marketing campaign

Reawakening the Heart & Soul of the 86-Year-Old Company.

Struer, October 2011 - It’s been many exciting months in the making, but the 5th of October marks the global launch of a new marketing campaign for Danish premium audio-visual brand, Bang & Olufsen. The campaign – which is not just a campaign, but a complete paradigm shift in how the business markets itself – will set the direction for how Bang & Olufsen tells its story to consumers, moving forward.
    Tue Mantoni, CEO of Bang & Olufsen describes: “This is a return to the soul of our brand. For some time, we have underplayed the spirit infused into our products – and the special experiences that result. This is what separates Bang & Olufsen from the wide range of consumer electronic brands in the market today. So we are going to embrace the more emotional characteristics within us, once more.”
    The campaign is called “What Moves You”, and it commences with two short films, viewable online and two new ads, both featuring notable personalities.
    One of these films includes Tue Mantoni’s personal story about an event that profoundly moved him years back, and the other features Nikolaj Hübbe, Artistic Director of the Royal Danish Ballet, who describes an experience with sound that touched his ‘dancer’s heart.’
    But “What Moves You” is not a traditional campaign, launched with a big bang that will defuse over time. “What Moves You” will grow over time and aspire to facilitate more moving experiences between customers of Bang & Olufsen and their products. There are three major differences to the campaign, separating it from earlier undertakings by Bang & Olufsen. To start, the campaign is a global endeavour embraced by all markets around the world. Secondly, the campaign emphasizes a massive digital marketing push. All contents can be found online, and are shared with consumers through the website and social networking sites, as well as a campaign mobile site. The third difference is found in the aforementioned revival of the emotional candour of Bang & Olufsen products.
    In the past 10 years Bang & Olufsen has developed a multitude of unique products and technologies, placing them in a league of their own – especially in the category of sound and acoustics, user friendliness and product and home integration. But Bang & Olufsen is not just about creating unique products; it is about creating unique experiences for users – experiences that are greater, stronger and more enduring than what other brands can deliver.
    What moves the user is the soul of Bang & Olufsen.
    That is something artists do so well. Which is why Bang & Olufsen has joined forces with artists and visionaries, who have rich stories to tell. They inspired the forces at Bang & Olufsen to capture their stories on film, describing moving events in their lives, punctuated by sound or picture.
    Later, the campaign will roll out more stories from celebrated personalities, which include a famous Bollywood actress, a provocative artist, a leading sound expert and more.
    These stories will be the centrepiece in all communication elements going forward, and featured in shop windows, in customer outreach, and all online and offline communication.
    “What Moves You” will be rolled out in more than 1,000 dealers where QR codes will feature in all storefront windows, enabling everyone to easily access the films through their mobile phone. In addition, the films will be available on all digital platforms where Bang & Olufsen is present: the website, Facebook, YouTube, a mobile site, and more. Finally the films will be sent out to more than 500,000 existing customers.

• 10-05-2011 6:21 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Re: New Marketing campaign...

PhilLondon:

One of these films includes Tue Mantoni’s personal story about an event that profoundly moved him years back, and the other features Nikolaj Hübbe, Artistic Director of the Royal Danish Ballet, who describes an experience with sound that touched his ‘dancer’s heart.’ 

So...they are tapping right in to the average man on the street then? :)

As I said before, with the new catalogue I'd like to see B&O go back to highlighting real-life examples of how the kit has been integrated in to people's homes and how these people have made use of B&O kit. I don't want to read about commercial musicians, stars and other users have been "moved" by B&O kit. I don't find that aspirational at all.

• 10-05-2011 7:04 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

I haven't viewed the content so I may be being unfair here, but it sounds so out of touch to be almost unbelievable.

Nothing wrong with the Royal Danish Ballet, but it's not exactly a customer grabber is it?

• 10-05-2011 7:05 AM In reply to

Totally agree with Moxxey.

This isn't exactly going to appeal to the young is it? In fact, it will probably turn them off!

If you want a video of a B&O young product take a look at the Pioneer DDJ ERGO video!

• 10-05-2011 7:18 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

My brother lectures on the "arts" at Bristol University, and doesn't know *** about technology like B&O and couldn't care less either. He would be the last person i would want to emulate based upon his current levels of electrical gear(a Sony tape Walkman i gave him in the 80's) Cheapskate.

The wrong type of people are being used in adverts to attract a totally new type of customerErm Smart and reasurring advertising that constantly enforces that what you own and ultimately covert, is the very best in the world. 

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 10-05-2011 7:35 AM In reply to

• akoro
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • Espoo, Finland
    • Posts 88
    • Gold Member

moxxey:

PhilLondon:

So...they are tapping right in to the average man on the street then? :)

As I said before, with the new catalogue I'd like to see B&O go back to highlighting real-life examples of how the kit has been integrated in to people's homes and how these people have made use of B&O kit. I don't want to read about commercial musicians, stars and other users have been "moved" by B&O kit. I don't find that aspirational at all.

Actually the videos/stories have nothing to do with Bang & Olufsen products. The idea is more about a emotion. How that converts into buying customers is beyond me. Nice stories though.

I personally like the idea of presenting products in real life situations.

• 10-05-2011 7:35 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Chris:

The wrong type of people are being used in adverts to attract a totally new type of customerErm Smart and reasurring advertising that constantly enforces that what you own and ultimately covert, is the very best in the world. 

Maybe B&O are paranoid these "arts" types are the next generation who will vote the B&O brand in to the "cool" list? :)

I bet things at B&O do not change as much as we think they should. The prices will remain, the stores won't change for ages (IMHO, as it's too expensive), the attitude will remain and this new product category will be nothing more than one or two small products - it's now October and not a single item has been released.

Don't want to worry B&O, but I saw the first Christmas TV advert last night. The buying season has already started.

• 10-05-2011 7:37 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

akoro:

Actually the videos/stories have nothing to do with Bang & Olufsen products. The idea is more about a emotion. How that converts into buying customers is beyond me. Nice stories though.

"Which is why Bang & Olufsen has joined forces with artists and visionaries, who have rich stories to tell. "

Good luck with that then. Rich being the operative word.

• 10-05-2011 7:58 AM In reply to

I wouldn't be that negative.

Most people in the public had forgotten about B&O, and the strategy here is that people start hearing about the brand using the power of the internet.

It is probably quite cheap to produce those films. Then, because it is not as such an advert, bloggers in different domains (art, lifestyle) will blog about it, re-tweet it, etc...

it is just good targeted advetising that is very cheap. Have no problem with that.

Same for the new colours for the Form 2 headphones, the chanterelle Beovision 10, the black alu Beovision 10, etc... Many blogs are talking about it. Putting the name and logo of B&O in from of many eyes.

Let's face it, until they bring out their digital Masterlink replacement, they can't really advertise the high technology and the link system any longer.

• 10-05-2011 8:06 AM In reply to

akoro:

I agree. I think the videos are excellent. As you said, they are about emotion, not the products. They are about being passionate about something.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 10-05-2011 8:44 AM In reply to

Razlaw:

akoro:

I agree. I think the videos are excellent. As you said, they are about emotion, not the products. They are about being passionate about something.

Someone only yesterday started our very own version of this kind of campaign in the thread "When and how did your Beo-fever start?" => http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/9076.aspx

I will be interested to see the video stories and I hope they do inspire some young people just like once-upona-time we were all inspired by shops, uncles, or experiences at friend's homes

Tue's story (which is not about B&O!) => http://www.bang-olufsen.com/tue-mantoni 

Nikolaj Hübbe, the ballet director, tells his story => http://www.bang-olufsen.com/nikolaj-hubbe <= he is holding a Beo5 but does not mention B&O

However the clips do end with this cut:

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-05-2011 10:56 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:

No-one said they are a bad idea, just that we need more everyday people, everyday uses for B&O kit. Show average people getting the most from their kit. Not stories. Not musicians.

They are just video versions of what we see in the magalogues for the last couple of years.

• 10-05-2011 11:25 AM In reply to

Thanks for pointing out the obvious Moxxey,  that nobody said they were a bad idea. 

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 10-05-2011 3:09 PM In reply to

It's purely about passion...what moves you.

• 10-05-2011 3:21 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:

Thanks for pointing out the obvious Moxxey,  that nobody said they were a bad idea. 

A nice slap on the back hey Razlaw. Such a lovely bloke.

I made the point that the approach wasn't great, not that the videos were poor/bad/incorrect.

• 10-05-2011 5:35 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I'm sort of with Moxxey here - I don't give a Monkey's about what art directors, movie stars, rock stars, professional sportsfolk etc. desire/believe or aspire to. I'd prefer to see why "ordinary" folk fell in love with the brand - what inspired them, why they love it, what makes them pay more than they can reasonably afford to buy it etc. It should be about what it is to you, not what it may appear to others. Sell the ordinary man's passion, not the status symbol!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-05-2011 5:43 PM In reply to

I agree with Puncher. I have B&O catalogues from the 90s when B&O would go in peoples homes all over the world and they would talk about their B&Os, why they love them and have they have fitted into their lives really nice black and white photography.

I kind of switched off when they started putting Aston Martins and highly materialistic things in the brochures a year or two back. They kind of got too bling bling and super, super shallow. I felt they'd stuck their nose up to their loyal customers in favour of the playboy millionaire.  It just got real shallow for me. I kind of still feel that whenever I walk into a B&O showroom which is a real shame.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)