in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-02-2011 1:49 PM by tournedos. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-01-2011 9:38 PM

• McRib
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-01-2009
    • USA
    • Posts 19
    • Bronze Member

Beocord 7000

I'm being offered a Beocord 7000 that's in great shape cosmetically but has some other issues. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how much these repairs sound like they would cost or it the parts are still around:

1. Missing three of the four rubber feet

2. two of the four red clips that hold the circuit board in place are cracked, need replacement

3. the display for the VU level and dolby/tape side is very dim. the dolby readout flickers whenever a button is pressed

4. tape head stuck in the extended position, won't retract, makes no sound, capstans not turning, won't respond to button presses (sounds big, i know)  it happened one time when the tape was being flipped to side B, head just stayed that way.

other than these "minor" issues :) it looks like a fine piece. thanks in advance!

• 10-01-2011 11:47 PM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

Re: Beocord 7000

Don't go near it.  Assuming the parts were available, which is doubtful, it would cost much more to fix than it's worth.  You can buy a working one for around $100.  In fact, a working one in excellent condition just sold for $60.  Link.

• 10-02-2011 2:55 AM In reply to

Well, I'm sure it's repairable, but...

1. Somebody probably has spares, or you can make them yourself from some hardware store stuff, but the question is: why? I know some people manage to break & lose the oddest things, but these are well attached.
    2. They tend to do that at this age when removed. The deck will operate just fine with two of them missing, but see #1... somebody has been in there (and possibly given up), or the deck has been dropped or bumped.
    3. Possibly a cracked circuit board or a loose solder / socket... see #2. Could be a lot of work.
    4. Belts probably, and it will most likely need new belts even if this wasn't the reason.

All in all, unless it is almost free and you think you can fix it yourself... buy another one that works.

-mika

• 10-02-2011 12:30 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

While I don't disagree with the specific comments/advice given above.......

Makes me wonder about our general "Save the B&O from the Bin" spirit.

Hmm

I know the 80's era Japanese built systems are generally considered free to go in the skip, and any BG4000 or BV5000 (60's amp) is worth saving, I wonder what other pieces are definite savers regardless of work needed.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 10-02-2011 1:49 PM In reply to

Rich:
    Makes me wonder about our general "Save the B&O from the Bin" spirit.

I'm definitely not saying that this deck shouldn't be saved - just that there's not much point in that as a paid service. You can probably find another just as nice, but working and complete deck for less than the cost of labour alone. These aren't running out anytime soon.

Rich:
    I wonder what other pieces are definite savers regardless of work needed.

Anything pre-1965 Laughing But no, not even all of them.

Tim Jarman makes some interesting points here:

http://beomic.beocentral.com/how-rare-is-it/

That was written almost five years ago - I can see some newer devices that will be affected because original spare parts are running out, or B&O is altering their policy regarding the spares. An increasing amout of units will be thrown to the skip or parted out as official channels (and even most 2nd hand dealers) won't repair them any more. Beocenter 9000s are going, and if for example the rumour on Penta midrange driver pricing holds, they'll soon be in danger as well.

But seeing as we're in the Workshop forum, there'll of course be help available for fixing the Beocord if need be! But chances are it won't be an afternoon job.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)