in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-11-2011 2:35 PM by SWISS_2. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-01-2011 6:41 PM

Europe to US : do I need a transformer ?

I have recently moved from Europe to the uS.

Does my BEO 3200 require a transformer to work here ?

• 10-01-2011 8:27 PM In reply to

Re: Europe to US : do I need a transformer ?

Yes and no. the on board transforner should be the same as in BS 3000, and there the voltage can be changed to  US 120 V on primary side of main transformer and maybe some fuses, your B&O dealer will do that for a fee.

Or put 220 to 120 transformer before it.

If you have BL speakers check these as well.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 10-11-2011 2:35 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Re: Europe to US : do I need a transformer ?

In short yes, you need to change the voltage.

This can be done in one of two ways:

1. A " step-down " voltage convertor from 220-240v to 110-120v. These items are sold commonly throughout North America. I would suggest that you purchase a good unit with an internal fuse if you can, for the reasons given below.

2. As mentioned above, an internal conversion 220 to 110v of the Beosound 3200, by a qualified service technician for Bang & Olufsen products. If that is you intend to keep the unit there, and not return to Europe with it someday.

I brought our Beosound 3200 from Switzerland to California. My plan was to carry the unit further down to a ocean-front property in Fortaleza, Brasil, but plans changed (excess humidity ) and we started using it in Calfornia with a convertor I bought in Switzerland. Unfortunately, the non-fuse variety of convertor.

One year ago before returning to Europe with the unit, the CD clamper became stuck, and it was taken into the local B&O store for repairs, cleaning, & re-boxing. It was firmly described as a 220-240v unit, and documented to remain that way. The charge/deposit was $ 250. USD. When it was finally returned in 2011, and plugged in, unfortunately the convertor fried, 2x.

The short version of events is that it had been converted to 110v by mistake along with the clamper repair. Fortunately there was no damage to the unit nor the music stored on the HD. B&O corporate was notified, the unit returned and reconverted after a few months of work at no charge. Mistakes like this do happen, and I appreciate B&O taking responsibility to correct the mistake, which I am very grateful for. That unit has since returned safely back to Switzerland as checked luggage, where it continues to be enjoyed and working well.

One could I suppose resort to a non-authorized repair service to save on costs, but take a look where that might end: A bad repair, poor parts used, damages, and perhaps no accountability. If your conversion is to be permanent and lasting, I would have it done only by a B&O authorized technician.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)