in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-04-2011 7:16 PM by Jonathan. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-01-2011 8:31 AM

• CJM1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-01-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

BeoVision Avant transportation

Hey guys!

As a kind christmas present family friends of ours our giving us their old BeoVision Avant. The only problem is they live in Germany and we live in Scotland and the only way for getting the TV across to us is to drive it. What is the best position for putting the TV in the car? is it a safe idea to put it on its back, Front, or on its side? 

Clarke 

• 10-01-2011 9:21 AM In reply to

Re: BeoVision Avant transportation

Best is standing up.

Or lying with the screen down. (so I've heard)

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 10-01-2011 12:14 PM In reply to

my mate the b&o engineer always lays them face down! if he cant stand them up

• 10-02-2011 12:24 AM In reply to

Search the forum ... there was quite a detailed thread on this about two years ago !

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-02-2011 5:26 AM In reply to

• valve1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 213
    • Gold Member

Was there not some aeroboard box made for transporting them? Also worth considering what the specs for the avants were as supplied to each country.

• 10-02-2011 6:20 AM In reply to

• CJM1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-01-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the help guys. i guess i will have to put it face down in the car with towels and polystyerine inderneath. Will i have to get an adapter so the TV can work with British plugs? Beacause the TV has been plugged into a european plug socket all its life 

• 10-02-2011 7:12 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

CJM1:

Thanks for the help guys. i guess i will have to put it face down in the car with towels and polystyerine inderneath. Will i have to get an adapter so the TV can work with British plugs? Beacause the TV has been plugged into a european plug socket all its life 

Two options. Plug the Euro plug into a Euro to UK adapter or better still, cut of the existing one and fit a UK plug! 

• 10-02-2011 9:48 AM In reply to

• jahur
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-07-2011
    • planet zonk
    • Posts 161
    • Bronze Member

wont there be a voltage difference? surley that will need adjusting. worth checking before you put a brit plug on it! (not adapter)

(formerly nokinnikon from the old site)

• 10-02-2011 10:04 AM In reply to

jahur:

wont there be a voltage difference? surley that will need adjusting. worth checking before you put a brit plug on it! (not adapter)

Its 220 volts instead of 240 so it should be fine

• 10-02-2011 5:33 PM In reply to

EU mains voltages are all, in the main, normallised at 230 volts nowadays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

The Euro 2 pin mains plug can be fitted into an adaptor for £2 or so.

http://uk.farnell.com/power-connections/cp1b-black/plug-converter-euro-quickfit-black/dp/1278795

All country changes can be done via the service menu in the Avant.

If you are converted to digital TV in your area, you will of course require a Freeview box or Sky digital or similar.

It will probably cost you more to pick it up and transport it home than you could buy one for locally. In general, Avants are worth very little in the UK!!!!

Don't for get the remote as they are worth about the same as the TV!!!!

Regards Graham

• 10-03-2011 3:22 AM In reply to

Avant's don't have captive leads so you can just use a UK figure of 8 power cable if you have one kicking around, there won't be any need for plug adapters etc.

Good luck!

• 10-03-2011 3:50 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Llewelyn:

Avant's don't have captive leads so you can just use a UK figure of 8 power cable if you have one kicking around, there won't be any need for plug adapters etc.

Sounds a rather complicated version of my 'cutting the existing plug off and fitting a new UK one' reply. Were/are you an electrician? I'm sure I detect a sharp intake of breath and "it's going to cost you....."!

• 10-03-2011 10:38 AM In reply to

Haha! There was nothing weird about my post! I just meant unplug this:

And plug this in:

(rather than taking the time to wire a uk plug)

Laughing

Incidentally I am a qualified electrician but it is not my career.

• 10-03-2011 5:23 PM In reply to

• CJM1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-01-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for all your help guys! and elephant. im liking your icon picture! 

• 10-04-2011 3:13 AM In reply to

CJM1:

Thanks for all your help guys! and elephant. im liking your icon picture! 

Thanks !

I actually tried to change it over night to reflect the upcoming Apple announcement (as stated in the signature line).

Perhaps after everything has been revealed I will change it to the Axolotl :~

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-04-2011 7:14 PM In reply to

I've done a few long distance trips with Avants, and I've always transported them on their backs, held tightly with rope through grab handles. Every time has been successful with no damage as yet.

I would fear pressure on the glass could break it. And if I had to choose, I'd rather a cracked plastic back panel than a cracked Contrast screen!!

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 10-04-2011 7:16 PM In reply to

Also, you don't want to slide the front of the TV over your rear bumper bar, and the risk is higher of damaging the TV if it is dropped on its front.

DON'T TRANSPORT IT SCREEN DOWN!!!

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)