in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-03-2011 4:23 AM by Ehlerz. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-30-2011 12:17 PM

Picture and Picture - Whats the use?

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone in here still use P-and-P on their tv? My issue is that i cant have 2 sources shown at the same time, because it does not work with say DVB-HD module and HDMI B. It works however with analoge inputs, but who uses this anymore?

Am i missing something or is this feature practically useless in theese digital days? I ask because it is still available on newly sold B&O tv´s.

Thanks in advance

/Ehlerz 

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 09-30-2011 9:13 PM In reply to

Re: Picture and Picture - Whats the use?

Good question !

I guess that if people have the CAMERA port connected to a surveliance camera it may make some sense ... but as you say in an all digital world it has become redundant.

I would rather have more other features (e.g. extra HDMIs or whatever) than something which is anchored in the past ... or even a price reduction :-)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-01-2011 2:48 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

PiP is either a useful feature to you or it's not irrespective of so-called 'digital days'. I can't see whether the signal is digital or analogue has anything whatsoever to the the usefulness or otherwise of the feature.

I miss it on my currect B&O TV. Not greatly, but years ago when I had it fitted to my LX TV, I used it when for example watching a particular channel or video tape recording (remember those?) and waiting for the start of another programme on another channel I wanted to watch 'live'. I had the programme I was waiting for showing in the corner and when it began I would switch screens to this programme.

Not an earth shattering or world changing facility, but handy and better, IMHO, to have rather than not!  

• 10-01-2011 4:08 AM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

Kokomo:
    PiP is either a useful feature to you or it's not irrespective of so-called 'digital days'. I can't see whether the signal is digital or analogue has anything whatsoever to the the usefulness or otherwise of the feature.

The problem in the digital era is that most of us only have one digital tuner, so we don't have a second source to use in the p-i-p. ...but yes, I also miss that feature.

• 10-01-2011 4:57 AM In reply to

henrik:
    Kokomo:

The problem in the digital era is that most of us only have one digital tuner, so we don't have a second source to use in the p-i-p. ...but yes, I also miss that feature.

Correct, and further more IF we have a second source, this source it most likly connected to one of the HDMI sockets, and that cant be used in P-A-P.

Why is it that it is not possible to watch my PS3 on one half of the screen while watching DVB-HD on the other half?

/Ehlerz

• 10-01-2011 5:10 AM In reply to

Kokomo:

Sorry but i dont understand the above. The feature works with analog inputs but not with digital (HDMI/DVI). That is why i question the need in a time, where not many of us have analog connections anymore. When something worked at one time but does not anymore because of the digitalization, i would say that it very much has something to do with exactly that, digitalization...

Why not just make it work with digital sources?? i mean what is the big deal, you watch it on the same screen so it cant have something to do with digital protection. Resolution troubles maybe?

/Ehlerz

• 10-01-2011 5:41 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Ehlerz:
    Sorry but i dont understand the above. The feature works with analog inputs but not with digital (HDMI/DVI)

Sorry if my meaning didn't come across clearly. I am saying that the feature is useful.

Whether the source is analogue or digital does not detract from my point that PiP is a useful feature.

Of course it can work with digital it's just that many current tuner and equipment configurations do not facilitate it. It can be done though!  

If the demand was there, it would be incorporated, but many consumers aren't interested in it, and/or have never experienced it.

• 10-01-2011 11:27 AM In reply to

I have a BV7-40 MKIII and it is possible to view side by side two digital sources connected using HDMI. The only limitation is that it is not possible to view side by side sources connected to HDMI input combinations A vs B or C vs D. Other combinations such as A vs C or B vs D are possible. The reason is that inputs A and B are connected to a switcher IC that selects only one source at a time. Inputs C & D are connected to another switching IC. Analogue sources are digitized and use different source selection ICs.

In summary, for digital sources, picture in picture is possible between HDMI pairs

(A or B) vs (C or D).

Regards,

Jean

• 10-03-2011 4:23 AM In reply to

jvezina:

I have a BV7-40 MKIII and it is possible to view side by side two digital sources connected using HDMI. The only limitation is that it is not possible to view side by side sources connected to HDMI input combinations A vs B or C vs D. Other combinations such as A vs C or B vs D are possible. The reason is that inputs A and B are connected to a switcher IC that selects only one source at a time. Inputs C & D are connected to another switching IC. Analogue sources are digitized and use different source selection ICs.

In summary, for digital sources, picture in picture is possible between HDMI pairs

(A or B) vs (C or D).

Regards,

Jean

Hi Jean

Thanks for your reply, this kind of helps me a bit. After i read your post, i am now able to have split screen in some way. This means that i can watch my Macmini output side by side with my DVB-HD output but i can only have the sound from the DVB-HD when doing this. If i choose to switch by pressing 0, the picture on both halfs of the screen becomes a grainy DVB-HD picture even though the sound is now the macmini.

So it works kind of, but not optimal. Anyway, thanks a lot for your input. I actually asked my dealer about this and he said it couldnt be done. I guess i will now have to tell him different :-)

/Ehlerz

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)