in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-28-2011 12:01 PM by Evan. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-23-2011 8:58 AM

a little advice needed.

Hi everybody,thinking of buying a laptop for general use, but i would also like to know if i can connect it to my current setup.

Samsung tv connected via rca leads to my 5500 system and pentalab 3s.

I would like to download internet videos onto the laptop and play them through my current setup and have them playing on the tvand through my 5500 system.

What connections would i need to have on the laptop to enable this and what leads would i need,i cannot im afraid afford a apple laptop so what cheaper alternatives would you recommend. Unsure

Thanks guys glen.

• 09-23-2011 9:03 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Re: a little advice needed.

As far as PCs go, they almost always have an HDMI output on them. I would send a+v to the tv over HDMI and call it done! Smile

Seems like you have the rest covered.

Evan

• 09-23-2011 9:13 AM In reply to

Thanks evan, all the best to you and all the other beoworlders in america Yes -  thumbs up

GLEN.

• 09-23-2011 9:37 AM In reply to

I would go for something like a Toshiba L740, evt. with a bigger HD and 6 mb memory as you want to run video, a HDMI connection is a must.

But a lot of connecting and disconnecting will go hard on the plugs, so I recommend a small build PC for your stationary system, with more or less the same features as the L740 to that a good wireless mouse and keyboard. I use a very cheap E- machine with an upgrade soundcard for my music (Itunes), I run that over an Onkyo to screen and BL speakers.

With the HDMI conection you will go to your TV and as its already connected with your 5500, there you go.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 09-23-2011 9:40 AM In reply to

Evan beat me again, I think he tips fasterLaughing

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 09-23-2011 12:25 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

No problem Glen,

Laptops have very good standard equipment these days, I recommend something with an i3 processor or better. A benefit of this is that most if not all of these Intel boards come with the Intel HD audio equipment - pretty great stuff. My new Samsung RV520 W01US came with a Realtek audio driver with DAC options, such as 16bit or 24 bit, 44.1kHz through to 192kHz etc. It too has an HDMI out. Has a 640GB hdd so plenty of room for lossless music and good quality videos. Its also really affordable too! Speaking of playback, does your Samsung have DLNA capability? This laptop is supposed to be able to support wireless playback over that system.

I'm sure anything similar will do you just fine.

@Søren, I see this becoming competitive soon! Laughing

Evan

• 09-25-2011 4:48 AM In reply to

Thanks for all the advice evan Yes -  thumbs up.

My initial thoughts were to go down the samsung road when purchasing a laptop,my samsung tv is excellent.I have taken on board the advice about the processor ect.

My tv does however not have DLNA capability.

I will now start to have a look around to see whats out there.

Many thanks glen.Yes -  thumbs up 

• 09-25-2011 11:03 PM In reply to

I'm suprised nobody suggested a laptop to you that was designed by David Lewis. You know the dude that's behind almost ALL B&O products. I recently bought it and I can tell you only that it's amazing. Look it up, it's made by ASUS and the model is NX90. Check out the reviews on youtube, but keep your mind open as most of the people do not. It's the best laptop I've ever owned. Ment exactly what matters to my in my life; music and video.

Here's a link:

http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Multimedia_Entertainment/NX90Jq/

• 09-26-2011 4:11 AM In reply to

Hi oakley,thanks for the info,but im afraid  its a little out of my price range,very nice design though.

I think if i were to bring that home swmbo would be doing cartwheels, and i would have a very large dent in my head from the frying panLaughing

all the best glen.

• 09-28-2011 12:01 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Glen fizzawizz:
    Hi oakley,thanks for the info,but im afraid  its a little out of my price range

Precisely the reason why I didn't buy it either. Additionally, as a student, I need a laptop to be mobile. The NX90 probably won't even fit into my backpack. 

Not saying I wouldn't love to have one! 

Evan

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)