in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-11-2007 10:55 PM by Wings. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-08-2007 9:02 PM

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

Off Topic: a question of grammar

I seem to recall learning that prepositions are words which describe a
    locational/spatial relationship between objects, e.g., in front of a chair, on a
    chair, in the car, behind the door, etc. 

Someone asked me about "on the phone", as in "She is talking on the phone".  I
    thought "on the phone" would be more of the predicate, part of a verb clause,
    than part of a preposition in that the person is not literally sitting or
    lying "on [top of] the phone".  Am I correct?  What part of grammar is "on the
    phone"?  "She" is a pronoun and "phone" is a noun. "She" is the subject of the sentence,
    "is talking" is the verb, so what is "on the phone"?
  • 07-09-2007 6:57 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: Off Topic: a question of grammar

What an excellent thread!

I suspect it can be put down to a nuance of the English language, but we have some brilliant grammatical people on here!

What about "hey, Jonathan Ross is on the Radio.."

I'd love to see him perched on top of my BeoSystem 10 in the showroom!!

LaughingLaughingLaughing

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-09-2007 7:00 AM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

If it's a Beocom 2, fairly painful, I would have thought.....

Laughing

Sorry, couldn't resist it.......

Hope you get a sensible answer soon, although it would appear we all need to go back to school...

Cheers

Nigel

• 07-09-2007 7:03 AM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

Should that be brilliantly? Or even grammatically?
  • 07-09-2007 7:20 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

h1npw:
    Should that be brilliantly? Or even grammatically?

(blows h1npw a raspberry)

Huh?Laughing

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-09-2007 7:47 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Wings:

I seem to recall learning that prepositions are words which describe a
    locational/spatial relationship between objects, e.g., in front of a chair, on a
    chair, in the car, behind the door, etc. 

Someone asked me about "on the phone", as in "She is talking on the phone".  I
    thought "on the phone" would be more of the predicate, part of a verb clause,
    than part of a preposition in that the person is not literally sitting or
    lying "on [top of] the phone".  Am I correct?  What part of grammar is "on the
    phone"?  "She" is a pronoun and "phone" is a noun. "She" is the subject of the sentence,
    "is talking" is the verb, so what is "on the phone"?

I would take a punt at "on" being a "Pre-Positional Modifier" of the noun "phone"Confused

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-09-2007 12:37 PM In reply to

• dylan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 117
    • Founder

I think the "on", rather disappointingly, is just a preposition. "on the phone" is a prepositional phrase. If it was "on the B&O phone" then the "B&O" would be a modifier. Suspect it's more of a case of the definition of the word "on" allowing it to be used in this context Confused

BS3200 BV7 BV3 BL8000 BG4000 BL4500 PC2 BG5500 MX4002

• 07-09-2007 1:48 PM In reply to

• joynsyde
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-09-2007
    • Midwest, U.S.A.
    • Posts 130
    • Bronze Member

I have been browsing the BeoWorld forums, just having fun reading the posts for awhile now, but this post is the one that compelled me to join! Can you believe it?

I am pretty sure that prepositions do more than define locational/spatial relationships. For example, the words "for" and "about" are prepositions. "I have been looking for my EarSet 2 all day."  "My husband is thinking about buying a BeoSound 4."  (In the previous sentence, "buying a BeoSound 4" is an infinitive phrase acting as a noun/object of the preposition.)

I would say that "on the phone" is most definitely a prepositional phrase. 
    On
    = preposition
    The=article for "phone"
    Phone=noun/object of the preposition.

http://www.uottawa.ca/academic/arts/writcent/hypergrammar/preposit.html

Don't we just love the English language!  :)

...my two cents ~AJ
  • 07-09-2007 2:14 PM In reply to

• matheyl
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • French Alps
    • Posts 228
    • Founder

Hi 

From my French point of view, this is the only answer that have sense...Big Smile

Laurent.

Avant 28 DVD, BC2, 2300, BL2500, 8000, to name a few...

• 07-09-2007 2:54 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

joynsyde:

I have been browsing the BeoWorld forums, just having fun reading the posts for awhile now, but this post is the one that compelled me to join! Can you believe it?

I am pretty sure that prepositions do more than define locational/spatial relationships. For example, the words "for" and "about" are prepositions. "I have been looking for my EarSet 2 all day."  "My husband is thinking about buying a BeoSound 4."  (In the previous sentence, "buying a BeoSound 4" is an infinitive phrase acting as a noun/object of the preposition.)

On
    = preposition
    The=article for "phone"

The mind boggles - hopefully you do know that we aren't normally this geekyLaughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-09-2007 4:20 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Sorry I am late joining this topic. I was in the toilet!Indifferent

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-09-2007 8:55 PM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

9 LEE:

What an excellent thread!

What about "hey, Jonathan Ross is on the Radio.."

I'd love to see him perched on top of my BeoSystem 10 in the showroom!!

LaughingLaughingLaughing

Thanks, Lee.  Still living up to my reputation for asking stupid [wierd, unusual] questions.  Stick out tongue

Don't know "your" Jonathan Ross.  "My" Jonathan Ross is a lawyer and I doubt he sits on anything other than on the bench in the courtroom and even then, he is still sitting on his posterior. Laughing

BTW:  in [on?] the old Forum, I could click on "quote" and be able to  quote several posts in one thread and make only one repy to them all.  However, here with the new Forum, clicking on "quote" automatically opens the "reply to existing message" window.  I suppose I don't really mind; it simply increases my number of posts although I still lag quite a bit behind Peter and Alex.  Super Angry   [:'(]

• 07-09-2007 8:59 PM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

Puncher:

The mind boggles - hopefully you do know that we aren't normally this geekyLaughing

Exactly why I posted on this site -- to have the assistance of all my fellow geeks!  Big Smile

• 07-09-2007 9:11 PM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

jandyt:

I was in the toilet!Indifferent

Andy T.

Reminds me of two items:

1.  an old TV commercial for a toilet bowl cleaner, where there was a captain and a sailor in a row boat in a toilet bowl examining the cleaniness of the bowl and the underside of the rim.  Ick!

2.  when we went to the US Consul General's residence, there was a sign on the gate:  "Please wait.  Guard on toilet."  Indifferent Laughing  How is that for honesty and directness?

• 07-09-2007 9:43 PM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

joynsyde:

On
    = preposition
    The=article for "phone"

Welcome to Beoworld. 

Thank you for the link.  It seems to be rather comprehensive so it will take me some time to go through all the items.   Smile So far, the site has avoided the "on the phone" question.  Laughing Big Smile

As for whether we love the English language, have you seen the last page of Puncher's thread "Wednesdays" which was temporarily hijacked to discuss English spelling and pronounciation?

• 07-11-2007 1:33 PM In reply to

• joynsyde
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-09-2007
    • Midwest, U.S.A.
    • Posts 130
    • Bronze Member

Wings:

Welcome to Beoworld. 

Thank you for the link.  It seems to be rather comprehensive so it will take me some time to go through all the items.   Smile So far, the site has avoided the "on the phone" question.  Laughing Big Smile

As for whether we love the English language, have you seen the last page of Puncher's thread "Wednesdays" which was temporarily hijacked to discuss English spelling and pronounciation?

My mother and grandmother were English schoolteachers.  I was only begging for more torture when I married a French linguist!  Wink

The site says: 

A preposition usually indicates the temporal, spatial or logical relationship of its object to the rest of the sentence...

In your sentence, "on" would connect "phone" logically, not spatially, to the rest of the sentence.  Smile

I started reading the thread you mentioned, but got distracted...  But it is Wednesday today, so maybe I should read the whole thing now.  Smile

...my two cents ~AJ
  • 07-11-2007 4:02 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Wings:
    jandyt:

I was in the toilet!Indifferent

Andy T.

Reminds me of two items:

1.  an old TV commercial for a toilet bowl cleaner, where there was a captain and a sailor in a row boat in a toilet bowl examining the cleaniness of the bowl and the underside of the rim.  Ick!

2.  when we went to the US Consul General's residence, there was a sign on the gate:  "Please wait.  Guard on toilet."  Indifferent Laughing  How is that for honesty and directness?

LaughingLaughing
    Sorry, I'm going off on a tangent here but your sign reminded me of one I saw in a fruit packing factory in Valencia, Spain.
    It was on a payphone, there were instructions in Spanish and some kind Spaniard had translated it for us English lorry drivers. It said:-

" If you still can't speak, place two fingers in your bottom and withdraw the coin then try again"

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-11-2007 10:55 PM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

joynsyde:

My mother and grandmother were English schoolteachers.  I was only begging for more torture when I married a French linguist!  Wink

The site says: 

A preposition usually indicates the temporal, spatial or logical relationship of its object to the rest of the sentence...

In your sentence, "on" would connect "phone" logically, not spatially, to the rest of the sentence.  Smile

I started reading the thread you mentioned, but got distracted...  But it is Wednesday today, so maybe I should read the whole thing now.  Smile

Thanks again.  I must have missed the part about " ... logical relationship ..." in junior high school or have since forgotten about it in my old age.  Please pardon my facetiousness.

Now, can anyone translated "prepositional phrase" into Cantonese, Putonghua or Mandarin for me?  I can envision the fun I will have trying to explain all this to non-native English speakers.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)