in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-28-2011 4:58 AM by Michael. 53 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-22-2011 8:21 PM In reply to

Re: Bang & Olufsen Plans Sub-Brand To Expand Base

Hi Wattso,

Hmmm sub branding or marketing gone totally wrong? I've seen it so many times and its hardly inspiring. I still can't see why any other name other than Bang & Olufsen can get then noticed.

Ar well, at least it won't be BangSung - now maybe in 2007!!!

Outside of the marketing world do sub brands work? or do they just confuse???

• 09-22-2011 8:55 PM In reply to

wattso:

All I want to know is how these guys know it's going to be called play.... :P And if there's any mroe info out there that I'm missing, as I can't wait to get my hands on the stuff. 

The people who know this work for Bang & Olufsen or are Bang & Olufsen retailers. Because there hasn't been an official launch yet, they're not really supposed to be talking about it...

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 09-23-2011 2:13 AM In reply to

Jonathan:

The people who know this work for Bang & Olufsen or are Bang & Olufsen retailers. Because there hasn't been an official launch yet, they're not really supposed to be talking about it...

I'm not working for B&O, nor am I a retailer, nor did I receive the info from someone related to B&O... Just stumbled on it... Sometimes B&O is a bit sloppy in Internet related stuff :-) Oh.. and.. no hacking was involved... 

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 09-23-2011 5:53 AM In reply to

• wattso
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2009
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Oh Karel, why do you tease me so! Stick out tongue

• 09-23-2011 6:23 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

• 09-23-2011 7:53 AM In reply to

Paul did BMW not use Mini as there sub brand?
  • 09-23-2011 8:27 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I see the whole sub-brand idea - really.   However, I have a reservation - or possibly just a thought..

Mercedes did Smart

BMW did Mini

Two of the strongest and most powerful brands on the planet.  Everyone from a road sweeper to a barrister, from a man in a mud cave in the sahara to a ski chalet in Val D'isere knows these brands - they see them everywhere.  So, exploiting this makes perfect sense.

B&O may be described as a superbrand by some arty types in roll-necks sipping mineral water on an awards panel - but not everyone has heard of Bang & Olufsen.  The brand isn't as big as we think it is.  

Sure, around 65% of people I meet have heard of B&O - but 35% have not a clue who they are.  85% of that 65% simply say 'I know nothing about them apart from the fact they're really expensive' - so it's actually only a small percentage of people who are really familiar with B&O and their products.  Trying to ride on the back of this perceived global fame doesn't make total sense to me yet.  Build the main brand, then ride it by all means.. but is this a little too soon?

Either way - Tue Mantoni is kicking ass and actually doing something rather than nothing.  I can't say anything here, but i can assure you there have been more rockets up asses in Denmark in the past 6 months than the last CEO's launched in 15 years.  Pardon my language.

Lee

Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 09-23-2011 9:06 AM In reply to

MMm interesting but Smart is a total flop and MINI is an easy one - it's an icon from 1959 so its not really new in that respect but yeah, BMW have done a great job. I still do not see the idea in the AV/hi-fi world. Panasonic tried in the 70's with National and of course the wonderful Technics etc. Surely if B&O wanted people to know the name they should have kept that???

Interesting percentage Lee, whilst ive always known the brand due to my Grandad introducing me to his BeoMaster 1900 & BeoGram 1500 most young (18 -25) people I talk to have never heard of the brand.

I hope it really works out for them and well done to Tue but as a branding guy myself, i'm totally against sub branding.

• 09-23-2011 9:47 AM In reply to

Paul Winn:

MMm interesting but Smart is a total flop and MINI is an easy one - it's an icon from 1959 so its not really new in that respect but yeah, BMW have done a great job. I still do not see the idea in the AV/hi-fi world. Panasonic tried in the 70's with National and of course the wonderful Technics etc. Surely if B&O wanted people to know the name they should have kept that???

Interesting percentage Lee, whilst ive always known the brand due to my Grandad introducing me to his BeoMaster 1900 & BeoGram 1500 most young (18 -25) people I talk to have never heard of the brand.

I hope it really works out for them and well done to Tue but as a branding guy myself, i'm totally against sub branding.

Really good points Paul.  The business of sub-branding is tricky.  Mini was already a well established brand.  Mini is a separate brand from BMW just like Roll Royce motorcars.  People who buy a Rolls don't think of it as a sub-brand and probably don't want to think of BMW at all.  Sub-branding has had mixed results in the airline industry but mostly airline sub-brands ultimately fail.  Bowers & Wilkins has products in the Apple store in this less expensive category and seems to be doing well.  Using the Bowers & Wilkins name in this category has not affected the sale of their higher end products.

Beosound 8 and Beolab 4 PC are already available in the Apple store and on Amazon.  Will these products be withdrawn so as not to compete with the new brand?  I have another question.  In an earlier discussion, some younger members stated they felt intimidated by B&O store sales staff.  Some also said they felt they had to be better dressed to enter the store.  If 80% of the sales of this new brand is going to be in a B&O store, will B&O staff start wearing tshirts and wait at the door to greet customers as in the Apple store.

This marketing compaign is going to be interesting to observe.  I hope it works.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 09-23-2011 9:52 AM In reply to

Paul Winn:

Let's try and put this into perspective.

There is a member here that has been on the fence with the purchase of a BS8.

That member got what they wanted and B&o launched orange -now they want a smaller, cheaper BS8 in another thread?

So my question: How much smaller and cheaper does it have to be before...

A.) That member will purchase one?

-OR-

B.) It would be the first product of a new so-called B&o sub-brand?

The member's desires are the very reason why ANY company would consider sub-branding.

B&o... sub-branding? GO FOR IT!

May I suggest a name: Little Bo Peep

• B&o bottle opener
  • 09-23-2011 12:00 PM In reply to

Amusing Burantek! 

The BS8 is obviously a lot cheaper in your Country. At £900 in the UK that is one heck of a lot of money. Maybe years ago I would have thrown that kind of money around, in today's economy i'm a lot more careful! I also know that the B&W Zepplin at £400 is very very good and my head is still weighing up the £900 required for the BS8. I also know that £900 buys an EXCEPTIONAL sounding hi-fi system.  Of course im waiting to see what B&O comes along with over the next few months.

Let me tell you something. A few years ago I handed over £750 for a B&O DVD1 player thinking that I would be getting absolute perfection. This was at a time when top quality player were £100! My friends thought i was an idiot and laughed at the 'fat overweight box' that had cost me so much money.  Quite frankly it under performs, sticks on DVDs, repeats previous chapters and has been a source of trouble. So of course i'm not exactly running into B&O showrooms at the moment to buy a high marginal iPod dock at £900 just yet! Obviously as Brand Manager for the LARGEST radio group in the UK, I am very much aware of what is out there and what performs...

Thank you anyway for your rather dry sarcastic comments. I suggest if you can't say anything pleasant then please keep your mouth shut.

• 09-23-2011 12:12 PM In reply to

Paul Winn:
    The BS8 is obviously a lot cheaper in your Country. At £900 in the UK that is one heck of a lot of money. Maybe years ago I would have thrown that kind of money around, in today's economy i'm a lot more careful! I also know that the B&W Zepplin at £400 is very very good and my head is still weighing up the £900 required for the BS8. I also know that £900 buys an EXCEPTIONAL sounding hi-fi system.  Of course im waiting to see what B&O comes along with over the next few months.

Can't argue with any of that. More the reason for the new sub-brand, wouldn't you agree?

Paul Winn:
    Quite frankly it under performs, sticks on DVDs, repeats previous chapters and has been a source of trouble.

Can't argue with that either. Worst B&o I ever had.

Paul Winn:
    Thank you anyway for your rather dry sarcastic comments. I suggest if you can't say anything pleasant then please keep your mouth shut.

The only sarcasm was the very last line... but I still love the sheep! Erm

• B&o bottle opener
  • 09-24-2011 3:52 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Paul Winn:

I also know that £900 buys an EXCEPTIONAL sounding hi-fi system.  

It's good Paul, but not exceptional. Don't expect to be getting something that competes against the BL3s, BL9s or even BL4000s with the BS8. I'd say the audio is better-than-expected, but not exceptional. If you expect exceptional sound, you'd be disappointed.

BS8 is certainly recommended though. Good value purchase, all around and cheaper than my two Beocom 5s!

• 09-24-2011 4:02 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

The Zeppelin also has Airplay. When you consider it is made by one of the best speaker manufacturers on the planet, and it is powered by Bang and Olufsen amplification gear, and both are made in ChinaWhistle it does make you wonder why i would spend an extra £500 on a Beosound 8. Would i buy one of it wasn't made by B&O at £900, no.

The mini Zeppelin(cheaper) is also selling well and gets some good reviews. I know people will say, and rather ridiculously it cheapens a brand but don't forget that B&W also make their Diamond speaker range which tops the Beolab 5 by 50%. 

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 09-24-2011 7:39 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    BS8 is certainly recommended though. Good value purchase, all around

Good value?? A highly subjective opinion, as 'value' is a very difficult concept to define, but I suppose it's the same for all B&O gear.

• 09-24-2011 7:50 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Most value is perceived, which you cannot put a price on as we're all different!

I have a friend who buys shoes and trainers for £10 a pair and laughs at me for paying £100 for mine.  However, he gets through a pair every month or two after the stitching splits or the sole becomes unglued. He doesn't argue though.. after all, they were only a tenner - he just buys another pair and keeps laughing at me.

However, my £100 pair are not only more comfortable and better looking - they're still being used 3 years later and look perfect.  So, he's been through at least 18 pairs at £10 to my one pair at £100.  Who's the fool?

However - a Nissan Skyline GT-R will outperform a Ferrari costing 3 times as much.  The Ferrari has perceived value.

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 09-24-2011 5:09 PM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

Bang & Olufsen Play was registred as a trade mark september 9 2011.

It´s not magic - it´s Bang & Olufsen

• 09-24-2011 6:15 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Kokomo:

Good value?? A highly subjective opinion...

Correct. No need for "??". Whereas audio quality can be defined, value is based on comparison to other products, the amount you earn and so on.

For me, the BS8 represents good value. You get decent audio, a well made product and, compared to most B&O products, is good value.

• 09-25-2011 1:18 AM In reply to

Beofan2:
    Bang & Olufsen Play was registred as a trade mark september 9 2011.

A vast 20 million title library in lossless format which is not associated with a fruit manufacturer and fully downladable for a fee in full hi-def???

• 09-25-2011 4:41 PM In reply to

Is that library what you are wishing for?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 09-26-2011 6:29 AM In reply to

It would be interesting to see a sub-brand based on or incorporating the name 'ICE power'. Knowing how many other branded  quality products actually incorporate ICE power modules, B&O could at one fell swoop associate its proposed sub-brand with a lot of other quality equipment, yet at the same time indicate that there's still something extra with the more expensive B&O branded equipment.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 09-26-2011 7:11 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

or how about Ang & Lufsen? Banfsen? Oluban? or just 'Bang' Big Smile

Chrisreunion:

Let's hope they don't name the sub-brand "Olufsen & Bang"Big Smile

Olly.

• 09-26-2011 7:21 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Doesn´t seem like a new strategy to me...... did they not do something similar with the range in the 80´s... keep the styling drop the price  and remove all the interesting B&O tweeks and tricks?

• 09-27-2011 7:41 AM In reply to

I know that The sub Brand will be only for The beosound and some other little stuffs and will be just b&o (beo) like d&g - the sub brand of dolce & gannana :)
  • 09-27-2011 7:46 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:

Kokomo:

Good value?? A highly subjective opinion...

Correct. No need for "??". Whereas audio quality can be defined, value is based on comparison to other products, the amount you earn and so on.

For me, the BS8 represents good value. You get decent audio, a well made product and, compared to most B&O products, is good value.

My subjective opinion is that the ?? were necessary, questioning as they were the ascertion that a particular product was 'good value'. It's a pretty meaningless comment as value is always subjective and particularly so at this price level.

Better just to comment upon its virtues or otherwise and let others decide upon 'value'. 

Page 2 of 3 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >