in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-28-2011 1:56 PM by Praetorianer. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-17-2011 12:26 PM

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Bang and Olufsen concept mobile phone(and it's not made by Apple)

Just read it's simpler. Please dear god make it, and make it properly.

http://www.stuff.tv/news/phone/news-nugget/samsung-bo-concept-gives-us-phone-envy

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Sept2011/gorgeous-bang-and-olufsen-concept-phone-showcased.html

http://nak-design.over-blog.fr/article-b-o-concept-by-samsung-84191439.html

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 09-17-2011 12:51 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Re: Bang and Olufsen concept mobile phone(and it's not made by Apple)

Very cool.

Looks like an Android OS - leaving that part to the cell phone pros! Good decision.

Would be cool to see BeoLink integration with IR this time... Not everyone has a ML gateway.

Evan

• 09-17-2011 12:56 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

On the side of the model are the words Beophone M. IR, Did i really need a Beo 6????????

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 09-17-2011 1:06 PM In reply to

I don't like it- Looks like any other smart phone to me..... And it is not iOS based!

• 09-17-2011 1:17 PM In reply to

Wow, the pictures make it look like something ready for production..Cool

Stereo speakers on each side and on top, finally some clever design! And the built-in remote control shouldn't require MLGW, I think B&O was too upset by another brand (Lumigon) releasing a new cellphone with B&O IcePower, IR capability and a clear B&O design that they had to bring out something.

And 64 Gb memory, that's good news, since it can playback FLAC files!

The dock looks inspired from the Automotive speaker grilles.

The only thing I find strange is the 4/3 screen?

Finally something that could replace my Serenata!Smile 

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 09-17-2011 1:21 PM In reply to

Very nice.....Smile

Think we all should hint,at  B&O  to release itBig Smile

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 09-17-2011 2:09 PM In reply to

Llewelyn:

I don't like it- Looks like any other smart phone to me..... And it is not iOS based!

Agreed. In what way is this different? But thanks for sharing anyway.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 09-17-2011 2:44 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Well, I freely confess I knew nothing about this!  It looks quite slick.

Would it replace my iPhone?

No, but that's just me. Smile

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 09-17-2011 4:52 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

If it's anywhere near as good as the 2 other B&O/Samsung mobile phone collaborations then it will look decent with great sound reproduction & fall way short in almost every other department.

I thought these collaborations had been consigned to where they belong - the bin.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 09-17-2011 5:19 PM In reply to

The specs were buried as one of many images in the third link ................ 

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 09-17-2011 7:17 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

After seeing the specs... This isn't just a concept, its a prototype!!

Evan

• 09-17-2011 7:39 PM In reply to

Evan:

After seeing the specs... This isn't just a concept, its a prototype!!

It indeed seems to be ready for the next phase... production. it looks nice, I have to admit.

However, I still do not see why B&O would like to enter this market on their own. Their earlier efforts where, mildly put, financially not satisfactory. Why not go the route, mentioned earlier in this thread as well, of providing parts only like they have done for Lumigon?

• 09-17-2011 7:51 PM In reply to

WOW is right!  I really like the curved design but especially the fact that it supports DLNA, has an AMOLED screen, and plays FLAC music files.  I love the dock with the speaker.  I suspect it will work seamlessly with both Beosound 5s.  I'm ready.

Maybe the recent meeting with Apple didn't go too well!

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 09-18-2011 12:56 AM In reply to

Great...ABBA

• 09-18-2011 4:16 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Now...this is interesting. A phone is something everyone needs and uses and, get the design/concept right and it will sell. The interesting part of this design is that it's a little Beocom5-esque. Looks like you could connect it to the dock and use it as either a speaker or speakerphone. Would be very useful for the office.

Would make Skype very usable and your mobile could be used for conference calls.

I wonder if this is part of the forthcoming new category from B&O? The speaker/sound expertise provided by B&O and Samsung handle the manufacturing, production and distribution? Would make some sense. It wouldn't be allowed in the Apple Store though.

• 09-18-2011 4:19 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Harry2008:

However, I still do not see why B&O would like to enter this market on their own.

The aren't. The design will be B&O commissioned and they'll provide the audio components, no doubt, but it will be Samsung that is manfacturing, distributing and providing their phone expertise.

But if wasn't B&O design commissioned, it would have Samsung branding instead.

• 09-18-2011 6:58 AM In reply to

beocool:

Llewelyn:

Agreed. In what way is this different? But thanks for sharing anyway.

+1.

Can't understand what's so special about it... 

Atleast the Serene and Serenata looked completely different from all others.

Nothing to see here. 

Sleep

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 09-18-2011 9:05 AM In reply to

I agree. the dock looks more interesting than the phone. 

On the other hand the current environment may be more condusive to a B&O moblie phone than in the past. Now that there are open source operating systems we wouldn't have to concern ourselves with building and maintaining a proprietary OS. Just build the se*y phone and be done with it. 

I'm with Lee, personally, on likely keeping my iPhone no matter what, but there are a lot of Android users out there among our customers who wouln't think twice about dropping some extra cash on something like this. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-18-2011 10:13 AM In reply to

It's just another concept by a design firm... B&O is not going to return to the phone market. There's no money to be made.

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 09-18-2011 12:13 PM In reply to

Karel Uyttendaele:

It's just another concept by a design firm... B&O is not going to return to the phone market. There's no money to be made.

You are probably correct on this.  This is most likely a design exercise or maybe a tease to test reactions.  However mostly out of curiosity, I did check on Android cell phones offered by my provider.  I found I could live with an Android phone instead of another brand we all talk about.  Competition is heating up!

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 09-18-2011 3:24 PM In reply to

linder:
     I found I could live with an Android phone instead of another brand we all talk about.  Competition is heating up!

You could definately "live with" an Android device.  There's a place in the market for Android and Apple phones, and they both suit different people.

Not sure about the competition heating up though? Android handsets outsell Apple devices nearly 2 to 1.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2011/0131/Android-now-world-s-most-popular-phone-OS

• 09-19-2011 2:37 AM In reply to

rednik:

You could definately "live with" an Android device.  There's a place in the market for Android and Apple phones, and they both suit different people.

Not sure about the competition heating up though? Android handsets outsell Apple devices nearly 2 to 1.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2011/0131/Android-now-world-s-most-popular-phone-OS

Not related to the original posting. 

Regarding the fact that Android devices are outselling Apple 2 to 1... That's comparing Apples to oranges.

Android devices are sold by more than 1 brand. We should compare sell-out brand against brand. Not OS against brand.

Now back to B&O :-)

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 09-19-2011 4:42 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Hopefully this time you can use your own ringtones etc. and the phone is not feature-cut.

And it would be nice if they integrate a notification LED on that device.

Let's see if they produce it... I hope so :) 

• 09-19-2011 9:36 AM In reply to

• RUDYV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-31-2008
    • Belgium
    • Posts 52
    • Gold Member

I agree, it looks very cool.

Let's hope B&O is going to produce it.

Rudy

• 09-19-2011 12:03 PM In reply to

Is it usual for a concept to be given a name and supporting marketing material?

Looking at the profile of the phone, you just want to touch it, own it and cherish it (classic B&O); I can't remember seeing a picture of a phone that did that since the Serene.

Most luxury phones are a bit 'bling' for me and I feel as much like holding one as I do a snake (I hope to never hold a snake in my life!).

I would like to see it made.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >