in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-17-2011 5:34 AM by hfat. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-16-2011 2:16 AM

• BeoIce
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Recklinghausen, Germany
    • Posts 281
    • Founder

BS9000 & N.MUSIC - what do I need and how does it work ?

As I'm getting a pre-owned BS 9000 MK III next week, I want to know how n.music and n.radio work and what I need for it.

I know that I need a beoport. What else do I need (cables) ?

I want to use beoport with a windows 2003 server where all of my mp3s are stored. This machine is in a separated room from my living room where I have the BS 9000 and a pair of Beolab 6000.

How is n.music and n.radio controlled ? As I have hundreds of mp3. How do I select  them ? What's the ir-eye of the beoport for ?

Many things I don't know. Perhaps someone can clarify.

Regards

Martin

BeoSound 9000 MK III, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 11, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoVision MX4000/MX7000 & BeoCom 4

Samsung UE40B7090, Samsung HT-WS1G, Technisat HD8-S, Sony PS3, Logitech PS3 IR-BT-Adapter & Lintronic TT455-RT-238

• 09-16-2011 6:24 AM In reply to

Re: BS9000 & N.MUSIC - what do I need and how does it work ?

I suspect you need a particular software/firmware level for the BS9000 ... but that is for others to answer

BeoIce:
    I know that I need a beoport. What else do I need (cables) ?

I forget what comes inside the BeoPort's box (check the product page of this site), but what you will get/need is:

1. power cord for BeoPort
    2. mini-jack audio input to the BeoPort to connect to the Wintel server audio output for ... well audio :-)
    3. a USB cable from the BeoPort to the Wintel server for command and control signals
    4. a cable (mini-jack) that you will need to wire into the infrared puck for the BeoPort

The "bad" (or rather shall we say annoying)  thing is that the puck is a different type from what is used for BeoLink Active.

You will get a CD (probably you will need to do an online update after the first installation) of the Wintel server's BeoPort BeoPlayer software.

You may also need to do an online firmware update of the BeoPort ... that is done through the BeoPlayer software.

The BeoPlayer software had to run continuously, and its has various set-up steps, including scanning your Wintel server for its MP3 collection.

If you have an external hard drive you will need scan that too.

You will also get a paper manual to installation that explains all this and day to day usage.

To connect to you BS9000 you will need a MasterLink cable between the rooms.

You will control the system via your Beo4 - point it at the BS9000 and the commands will go over the Masterlink from the BS 9000 and audio will come back.

Point the Beo4 at the BeoPort's IR and you can control the system in the room that the Wintel server is in.

Which brings us to the point of whether you are going to buy so additional BeoLabs to stay in the room with Wintel server so you can also hear the music there.

Those extra BeoLab speakers plug into the BeoPort.

On the other hand if you have no need to listen to music in the Wintel server's room then you don't need the speakers ... and you won't need the IR eye :-)

You can still control the system in the Wintel server room by using your keyboard and mouse on the BeoPort BeoPlayer software :-)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 09-16-2011 6:54 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Elephants advice is spot on.

The BS9000 MKIII directs the N.Music command to the Beoport when the Beoport is connected via masterlink. Beoport by default is in option 6 from memory. You also need a later Beo4.

So here best you install the beoport to a Windows pc and install Beoplayer via the CD, connect masterlink and the other cables as via the instructions. Then reboot the PC.

Install Beoplayer and update then find the local MP3's files via a search. Copy some to the Windows PC. Set a coloured playlist to test and experiment.

Best synchronise the Windows server MP3 folder to the Windows PC so the files are found locally.

Good luck, beoaus.

...got to say I don't miss my beoport... the apple tv I have now, I am more than happy with, though the beoport did not require a TV to navigate. The BS9000 works with MP3 CD's also from memory.

• 09-16-2011 7:54 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

beoaus:

So here best you install the beoport to a Windows pc and install Beoplayer via the CD ...

Quite often the SW versions on CDs are outdated, I'd download the latest BeoPort SW 5.04 from the
    B&O Site ...

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beoport/software-downloads-windows 

• 09-16-2011 4:22 PM In reply to

Vienna:

beoaus:

So here best you install the beoport to a Windows pc and install Beoplayer via the CD ...

Quite often the SW versions on CDs are outdated, I'd download the latest BeoPort SW 5.04 from the
    B&O Site ...

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beoport/software-downloads-windows 

yes, which is why I recommended an immediate upgrade after the install

I always found that the recognition sequence for the BeoPort, its drivers, and the software was tricky and over the years we have posts about that

I think it is easier to manage/understand if you have the CD to "insert the CD when ..."

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 09-16-2011 5:49 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

elephant:

I think it is easier to manage/understand if you have the CD to "insert the CD when ..."

Big Smile Everyone to his taste - I personally always prefer to install the most recent sw-version
           without the need to pach/update afterwards Big Smile

• 09-17-2011 4:12 AM In reply to

• BeoIce
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Recklinghausen, Germany
    • Posts 281
    • Founder

OK, thanks for all your answers. Smile

The server is in a small chamber so there won't be any speakers. Is it a must to have an ir-eye connected to the beoport when setting up?

Main problem for me at the moment is, that the beoplayer software has to run all the time on the server, that means that a user has to be logged on all the time. Has anyone tried to run beoplayer as a service on the server ? Does beoplayer consume much memory and cpu power ? Background is I have running Exchange Server and Blackberry Express Server on this machine which consume alot of memory.

Software level on the BS9000 is 3.3, Beo4 are of the latest version without the joystick.

Is the Beoplayer version the same as the one which can be downloaded for free from b&o ? This way I could try if it will run as a service, because if it won't run as a service it is of little interest for me.

Regards

Martin

BeoSound 9000 MK III, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 11, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoVision MX4000/MX7000 & BeoCom 4

Samsung UE40B7090, Samsung HT-WS1G, Technisat HD8-S, Sony PS3, Logitech PS3 IR-BT-Adapter & Lintronic TT455-RT-238

• 09-17-2011 5:19 AM In reply to

BeoIce:
    Is it a must to have an ir-eye connected to the beoport when setting up?

No, not at all

BeoIce:
    Has anyone tried to run beoplayer as a service on the server ?

Maybe ... try a forum search ... I recall there have been questions/discussions in the past

BeoIce:
    Does beoplayer consume much memory and cpu power ?

Not when it is idle 

When it is playing then of course it is accessing files (at a slow rate), decompressing and rendering to audio

BeoIce:
    Is the Beoplayer version the same as the one which can be downloaded for free from b&o ?

Similary if not identical.

Download it and test its overheads (memory).

Try and see if it can run as a service (I doubt it given its graphical interface).

• 09-17-2011 5:32 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

BeoIce:

Is it a must to have an ir-eye connected to the beoport when setting up?

NO - in your config only a keybord and a mouse are required.   

BeoIce:

Is the Beoplayer version the same as the one which can be downloaded for free from b&o ?

For BeoPort Hardware you'll have to use BEOPORT SW, (not the BeoPlayer SW) - the most recent
    fully tested version is 5.04.
    (BeoPlayer is more or less identical BUT WON'T INSTALL the required USB-driver for the BeoPort)

The most common faults during installation/setup are:

- Connecting the USB cable to early (at the start of the installation)! 
      Just all other cables (mains, ML, audio) to the BeoPort Box should be connected at the start.
    - Not beeing logged in with admin rights.

BeoIce:
    Does beoplayer consume much memory and cpu power ?

Running XP, my task manager tells between 60.000 and 100.000 KB memory usage for all B&O related
    threads and a few % of CPU usage during playback operations.

• 09-17-2011 5:34 AM In reply to

• hfat
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-18-2010
    • Austria
    • Posts 176
    • Gold Member

Instead of using beoport, I would consider using a Second Life bm1. It is allways up and propably the Sound Card is better than the One in your Server.

Hfat
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)