in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-09-2011 3:30 AM by sia. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-08-2011 4:46 AM

• sia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-06-2007
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

Dual BS 8, BL11

Hi all technical people

I recently got my first beosound 8. I'm impressed by it's sound, the look, the ability to charge iphones and that it has it own DAC. Despite the nice sound of BS8, the left and right speaker channels are too close and perhaps doesn't present the stereo picture appropriately. However, I think it is possible to improve that if one could seperate the left and right signal a bit. This gave me an idea of geting a second BS8 and dedicate one to left and one to right channel (some minor wiring will be needed so both sspeakers on each BS woud play either left or right). Then I could adjust the distance between the BS8's to get a better stero sound. I would also like to improve the bass sound by perhaps adding a beolab 11. Here are my questions:

1- Beolab 11 has 1 PL input and 2 PL outputs. If I conect the BS8's to outputs from BL11, will BL 11 cut-off the bass appropriately at some specified frequency (don't know the cut off frequency for BL11) or will I still hear the bass frequencies down to 38 hz from the BS 8's?

2- Is it possible to adjust the cut-off frequency on BL11 manualy?

3- Does anyone have schematics available for USB sound signals on BS 8 or know a better way of seperating the left and right chanels for USB input of BS8?  

• 09-08-2011 4:59 AM In reply to

Re: DUal BS 8, BL11

The BL8 is intended as a stand alone device... You probably could do it... but is it worth it? Attach some BL5s if you want the best sound 

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 09-08-2011 5:10 AM In reply to

• sia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-06-2007
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

sure but BL5 comes with a price tag of 20 BS 8's and is out of my budget range. 

• 09-08-2011 7:23 AM In reply to

Well, if you want to cannibalize the BS8 concept for better stereo, the best alternative would be to connect the speaker wires to external speakers of similar size/cabinet volume, maybe BeoVox 1 or 2, but the visual result would be disastrous, to me at least..why not go directly for second-hand BeoLabs such a BL 4000 or BL3 that will bring good to excellent sound with real stereo perspective? Second-hand BL4000 cost almost the same price as a new BeoSound 8Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 09-08-2011 7:48 AM In reply to

• sia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-06-2007
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

I got a pair of BL4000 for 10 years ago, I like them too but like the functionality of BS 8 more. Soundwise, I would say that the sound is perhaps not as loud but as crisp as BL 4000. I also imagin that, conceptually, BL 4000 as well as 6000 are getting old (not the case for BL 8000 which remains as cool as ever). Beolab 8000 however is not an option here as I need wall mounting speakers. That leavs BL3 minus ability to charge and connect iphone/ipad which also allows me to recieve any media wirelessly.

Does anyone here have fist hand experience of Beolab 11 or even better have tried to connect BL11 with a BS 8? I have googled BL11 but all the reviews are genereal and gives no details, no comparison with BL 2 or B&W PV1 or another fancy looking subwoofer. Has anyone seen a more technical and soild review of BL11?

• 09-08-2011 8:54 AM In reply to

The BS8 was not designed to have other speakers connected to it; it was designed as a stand alone product. There's absolutely no use of connecting a BL11 to it.

Technical speaking I guess it can be done... if you're into ripping open the BS8 and solding some stuff together and then connecting it to the BL11... It's the same as converting a Rolls into a 4x4 Paris Dakar Rally vehicle... It can be done.. but what's the use?

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 09-08-2011 9:29 AM In reply to

• sia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-06-2007
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

I will most definitly not open up the BS 8. The rewiring will be done on either a seperate USB connection or the analog wire that connects to BS8. This will make both chanells on on each BS8 to either play left or right channell. As a reuslt, I will have a BS8 that only plays left chanell and and another that only plays right. 

The aim of connection Beolab 11 is to improve the bass and can be done without any extra wiring. BL 11 has 2 powerlink OUT sockets, which can be conencted to any BL speaker. My question was how one can adjust the cut-off frequency of the BL 11 signal.  

• 09-08-2011 9:55 AM In reply to

USB carries data multiplexed logically on a single physical connection, not audio. You can't achieve anything by "rewiring" it.

As far as I can see your only option is to use the analogue inputs of the BS8, essentially turning it into a simple (very unconvenient) active speaker and leaving all the dock functions etc. not useable in this setup, as they'd only work in one of them at a time. Which brings up the question, why do you want to use it/them in the first place? It's simply the completely wrong product for your intentions. Since it has no outputs, you can't get anything out from it, so this is not doable in any way without modifying it heavily.

The manuals for BL11 don't show any possibility of adjusting the crossover frequencies.

-mika

• 09-08-2011 11:16 AM In reply to

• sia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-06-2007
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

Hi Mika,

and thanks for your reply, You are of course right about the USB and the only possibility left would be to use a Powerlink to phono converter and use the analogue input. I also see what you mean about not beeing able to use the docks while using phono wiring (docked signal goes before the others). I will try to borrow a BL 11 from my dealer and see what it can do together with 1 BS 8 to begin with and decide about the second BS 8 from there.   

• 09-08-2011 8:00 PM In reply to

You're going about this the wrong way. What you need to do is fashion the BeoSound 8s into a pair of headphones. That will insure the best result sonically. As a bonus, you'll probably have to beat the women off with a stick. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-08-2011 8:13 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

This sounds like something I would do!

Evan

• 09-09-2011 3:30 AM In reply to