in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-03-2011 7:54 AM by bsantini. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-07-2011 1:58 AM

Surround with B&O

Hi I suppose this has been asked ad infinitum. I have a pair of B&O 8000 a pair or B&O 6000 Active speakers and I am need to have a surround system. I am technically profiicient, How can I have that ? Is there a module sold by b&O or other company that is a surround decoder for b&) .. i also imherited a multi room system al b&O .. HTe goal is for now surround .. What's the best way?

I am not even adverse to puting a non B&O AV receiver in the mix and use the Pre outputs ... TV is non b&O , BD player is non B&O and I have a Cable setop box ...

Any help o reply would be appreciated

Lesly

• 09-07-2011 2:30 AM In reply to

• hotknife
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • Solingen/Germany
    • Posts 552
    • Bronze Member

Re: Surround with B&O

Lintronic

http://www.lintronic.dk

should be the way. Also read that irtrans is a option. Give both names a search, there are lots of postings.

But always keep in mind, you will not reach the same easy to use setup like the DSS module of a Beovision with its opportunities.

BeoVision 8-40, ATV2, BeoSound 4, Front BeoLab 9, Rear Beolab 4000 MKII, Beo 4

• 09-07-2011 5:37 AM In reply to

Hi

i thank you for your gracious reply. I am very aware of lintronic and likely will use their products in my system. I woud like to know however where to look for integrating my current speakers (A Pair of Beolab 8000, A pair of Beolab 6000 and One Beolab 4000) in a surround system while keeping the multiroom capabilities of the B&O system . Presently I have the multi room installed in 3 rooms. I would like to preserve this setting, add non B&O TV, Blu Ray players and Cable Box to it this is what I have in mind:

Media Room would have a Surround Sound System with the Beolabs speakers plus s Blu Ray/DVD player (non B&O) and Cable Settop Box. I understand Lintronic converter should be used to control the non B&O with the the beo 4 remote which I will acquire. There were to have 3 they may have been lost somewhere in the house).

I want to be able to play different sources through the rest of the house. I understand the limitations i-e i can't play different programs from one source in different zone for example...

I want to be able however to have surround in the living room and radio in the bedroom or TV independently ...

Surround in the Living room is my main problem. I don't intend to ppurchse the B&O TV. many questions .. Sorry :(

Lesly

• 09-07-2011 6:22 AM In reply to

• hotknife
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • Solingen/Germany
    • Posts 552
    • Bronze Member

Isn`t the Beosystem 3 (only the system, not incl. telly) the one, that should manage your problem?

BeoVision 8-40, ATV2, BeoSound 4, Front BeoLab 9, Rear Beolab 4000 MKII, Beo 4

• 09-07-2011 7:40 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Maybe a used Beosystem 2 will do the job, too - for less than 1.000 Euro...

Search for posts on the site for this one, you will get some ideas.

Personally, I don't understand the need for multi-room solutions anymore - why not a dedicated set-top-box/audio system in every room?

Big Smile

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 09-07-2011 8:44 AM In reply to

I like the b&o System 3 specs but they would be overkill for my application. The price is also a killer U$7700!! I was thinking about integrating a regular AV Pre/Pro (well hidden of course Wink and feed the pre output to the Beolab speakers through trivial DIN to RCA converters. I would have used a Lintronic to translate the IR commands to the receiver once surround is activated  ... Not elegant but would work ... As for the other rooms ... I like the elegance of sharing sources .. Would the System 2 do alf that I need ? and where can I find one?

THanks in advance for the replies..Keep them coming ...

Lesly

• 09-07-2011 9:10 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

All your questions came up here before...

just a short summary:

- rca/pre out: if no signal is given, the speakers will turn off with a little sound... you would need to get a trigger voltage (5v?) to keep thema activated

- only a b&o system (1, 2, or 3) will have masterlink to share sources in the main room - BUT if your devices are connected to the system (1,2,3) for video AND/OR an masterlink audiomaster (radio, cd etc.)

- bs 1 and 2 only at ebay (not sold anymore from b&o)

Ralf

PS: I have gone through all of this (lintronic inclued!) and have given up... (vol - hold down on beo 4 is only transmitted ONCE, so to lower the volume on my pioneer avr i had to press vol down a lot of times, very annoying PLUS the popping sound drives you crazy... e.g. a lot of talk in a movie scene = center channel only = front l/r are turned of, then, as music starts, loudspeakers turn on again...etc.). SO - for 5.1 a Beosystem is required as a hub BUT with lintronic to make use of your KURO (vol down issue no the case here!).

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 09-07-2011 10:09 AM In reply to

maybe here

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 09-07-2011 12:13 PM In reply to

Hi

I just found in the mix an "AV-7000-2" component as part of the things I inherited. Is it is it a full-fledge surround processor? IF yes where can I find the Manual for seting it up?

Still would like the Beosystem 3 .. The more I read about it the more I like it ... Price is over the top though .. I would be willing to look into the System 2. Does it support HDTV DVI or HDMI? Thanks

Lesly

• 09-07-2011 12:16 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Bite the bullet and buy the beosystem 3

Ive done this both ways. The bs3 is far superior to anything else out there

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 09-09-2011 5:46 AM In reply to

Hi

I thank you ll for your support. I have an AV-7000-2 Surround processor and wil use it for Dolby Logic processing. Not the gretaest but will have to do. I will use the TV as the video switcher.

Now to control the non b&O: It remains the problem. I will either use Lintronics or ask B&O if they can provide me with new codes for the devices I am planning to control with the AV-7000 surround processor. I do like the Beosystem 3 but would have prefered a less dear aolution.

Any other suggestion will be appreciated, again thank you

Lesly

• 09-09-2011 6:51 AM In reply to

• Tomvdw
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 109
    • Founder

Hi Lesly,

digging around the forum, I saw that maybe a DeToma X501 might help herey as well ? Even as they aren´t available anymore, there is a chance to get them in the web, e.g. currently one here in Germany at http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/detoma-x501-dolby-surround-decoder-fuer-bang-olufsen/37018749

Here are some details I found at beoworld: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/30348/242083.aspx#242083

Regards

Tom

• 09-09-2011 9:35 PM In reply to

Hi

People ... I have to scratch the AV-7000-2 .. The problem? It is only Pro=Logic and I am not sure how to get Pro Logic from Blu-Ray players and new cable boxes. And that is what I want...

THe question then .. How do I keep the speakers on (they go off I understand in the absence of signal, something that can happen when suround activity is low or inexistant)   once the Receiver is powered ... 5V Trigger? How? How do I inject this vooltage to the speakers? ... If the speakers (two Beolab 800o, two 6000 and some center channel Active Beolab 4000 (?) ... I wouldn't want them to be pumping up and down when the sonic acivity decreases or  increases... I suppose that by keeping them on all the time and using the Line level, they would not jump on and off? Am I correct?

The other sources CD, Radio and an Aux that could be a SONOS or soomething else on the Aux port of an attached B&O 9000.. I admit some problem to play the 9000 with the speakers ... maybe a bypass ? or Aux out to the prepro .. as for the other zones ? I don't know yet ...

Would such scheme work?

I was about to take the plunge on the Beossystem 3. I couldn't justify its steep price ($7700) when the same (video and sound) could be (likely) obtained with a less expensive solution.. What do you think/

IR will have to have Lintronic or IRtrans  ...

Thanks for the support and suggestions, I need them

Lesly

• 09-10-2011 9:15 PM In reply to

misteUS:
    5V Trigger? How? How do I inject this vooltage to the speakers?

Like this thanks to Peter Pan

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 09-11-2011 9:43 AM In reply to

Soren

THank you so very much. I understand the circuit. How do I inject this voltage to the speakers? The  AVR does have a trigger output (12 Volt) so this can definitely be used.

Now another question: Is it possible to have an B&O 9000 with no speaker connected to it to work as the main sources for a multi-room system.?I would have it in 5 rooms already with their MCL Active Links and remote sensor wired. Speakers were unhooked from the system but the cables and connectors remain.

I simply don't need the B&O 9000 as a control in the Living Room, just a source. I will use the AVR to control and switch between TV and Cd . In other word the 9000 would act as a transport for the Living Room system but as a Master controller for the rest of the house .. Is that possible?I believe it should; I don't (yet?) know how.

Thanks in advance

Lesly

• 09-11-2011 12:40 PM In reply to

You will have to build your cable, check here its a long thread, but you will find what you need there, its in Danish use google to translate

• 09-11-2011 1:05 PM In reply to

Danish: Lydretning=sound direction, højre=right, venstre=left, kanal=chanel

• 09-12-2011 10:12 AM In reply to

Ok

I understand the Problem with the speakers turning off if there is no signal and that make sense. Now:

if I use a trigger voltage, the application of said voltage to tpin 4 should turn the speakers on and keep them on as long as the voltage (5V DC) is applied. Do have I this right?

When the speaker are kept ON by the application of the trigger voltage do they make a "popping" sound when they are turned on? I suppose one could turn the speakers on , then turn the receiver on this way the speaker is not presented with a signal on it turn-on ..

What do youthink?

I would have a scheme that would apply the trigger voltage to ALL speakers before the Processor goes on, then apply a delay and turn the receiver/processor on.

Finally Will the Beosound 9000 work as a Master for the rest of the house if there i NO speaker attached to it.. Of course the Masterlink would be conected and its output would be conected to the Pre DAC but NOspeakers wold be connected to the B&O ... Wil it work or what should I do to make it work.

I am creating an independent system in the Living Room. It will have the BO 9000 as a CD transport and be controlled by the beo 4 ...Is this possible? let me know

Thanks in advance

lesly

• 09-12-2011 6:13 PM In reply to

Forget the BS3 and save your money, and buy a nice high end Onkyo.   Then, use something like SONOS for multi-room audio.  The BS3 is an outdated dinasour.  Sounds like you are trying to build a frankensystem.

• 09-14-2011 8:36 PM In reply to

Hi

I am set on making this work. One last question: If I use the Line input on the Beolab Actives, Can I use Pin #4 on the Powerlink to turn the speaker on?

I would think that the line input is in parallel with the Powerlink Jack. Am I correct? That would make it easieras I already have several long audiophiles cables. It would be easier to use some long cables I already have.

Thanks

Lesly

• 09-15-2011 4:04 AM In reply to

misteUS:
    I am set on making this work. One last question: If I use the Line input on the Beolab Actives, Can I use Pin #4 on the Powerlink to turn the speaker on?

As far as I can see, yes - the power switching via Powerlink remains in operation even in Line mode.

misteUS:
    I would think that the line input is in parallel with the Powerlink Jack. Am I correct?

Not quite. The L/R/line selector switch also switches the signal input around the source connectors. But you can switch the speakers to Line mode, use the RCA connector for audio and the Powerlink input just for the power on signal.

It won't save you from running an extra wire, though. I would probably rather go the other way and equip the alien receiver with fake Powerlink outputs (buy some 8-pin DIN sockets and wire the audio outputs and your power signal there), then use a single neat and thin Powerlink cable over to the speaker. As the 6000s have both Powerlink in & out, you could then even daisy chain those speakers if that is physically more convenient.

-mika

• 09-15-2011 10:19 AM In reply to

tournedos

I thank you.

@ everybody ...

I will work on this and report to you all. 

Less

• 09-16-2011 11:31 AM In reply to

Update

1. The Beolab 8000 work extremely well with the Pre/Processor. They just work. You put the switch on "Line" and that's it ... 
    2. I haven't yet experienced the popping sound. If one mutes the receiver then the Beolab speakers remain on for a period of time . I measured the time they remain on on one speaker it was 3'09" and on the other 3'25"....then they go on standby ... If the signal comes back they simply turn back on .. There is a , a soft "click", a slight relay sound but no loud "pop".. and it it almost instaneous about .5 sec ...
    3. The Beosound 9000 simply needs to be cnnected to an ML to work. If there is no Powerlink and Masterlink connected it goes dead, scary dead.. Not even reacts to the remote control... Since in my case the Beosoound is has to be connected to the rest of the house, which I did then  .. Not much of a problem.

So far so good. Wil let you know how the Lintronic solution works ... I am very but very peased .. Thanks to all.

Lesly

P.S I fell in love with the Beo5 remote. Can I program it myself? .. Are there ways, software available to do so? Let me know people or should that be a new post or :( a search through the forum earlier posts? ;)

• 09-19-2011 2:02 PM In reply to

Hi

I think I have this figured out. One problem remains . How do I force the Beosystem 9000 to play when nothing is attached tit. At turn-on Option 1 works but if the 9000i loses power for any reason.. It goes back to not playing.

How can I simulate a powerlink or make a dummy plug?

I must also thank Sorenmexico for the very long but extremely informative thread at Hifi4all.dk.. I did found all the connectors I was looking for a more .. 

I thank you 

Iwill report back but so far I seem to be on the right track .. Thaks to you all

lesly

• 09-20-2011 3:58 AM In reply to

misteUS:
    How can I simulate a powerlink or make a dummy plug?

You're right the 9000 somehow senses the presence of speakers. It can't be the data connection, since most of the current Beolabs have nothing connected to it.

The service manual isn't too clear on this, as the Powerlink interface uses some custom IC. Anyway, it seems to sense the speakers from the load on the "Speaker ON" signal (PL pin 4). Try connecting a 33 kohm resistor from pin 4 to ground - it won't hurt anything, but probably will be enough to fool the 9000. Attaching this to only one of the sockets should be enough, as they are connected in parallel.

-mika

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >