in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-02-2011 1:29 PM by Peter. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-01-2011 12:01 PM

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

Beolab 4000 vs Beolab 3 vs beolab 8000

At the risk of starting a discussion that has been started before, I was in the shop yesterday, comparing the above mentioned speakers, and the much admired 4000's did dissapoint me, they sounded "muffled" somehow, the 3's sounded much more transparend, but I still think, as also mentioned before in some other post, the lack a bit of "directness" or "midrange". The 8000's did sound good, but they sounded also a bit "old-fashioned", sounding familiar, from an earlier era.

As I am considering buying a couple of these speakers, I'm confused, what to do? The Beolab 3's definitly have ***-appeal, but that is hardly an acoustic argument...

*** EDIT by Dillen
    Beoworld moderator

• 09-01-2011 4:59 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Re: Beolab 4000 vs Beolab 3 vs beolab 8000

People admire the 4000s because of their price/performance, not necessarily their raw performance vs speakers higher in the range (except for the 6000s - many (not all) prefer the 4000s over the 6000s).  There's also some suspicions that the mrkII 4000s are not as good as the mrkIs.  It's also been my experience that dealers have their systems setup poorly - check the loudness, treble, bass (often cranked to the max) and placement (lots of hard surfaces, too close together, stuck deep in a bookshelf).

Each of these speakers contain compromises to "better" exist in the real world.  The 3s are amazing (for their size).  The 8000s are very good and beautiful, until you turn them way up and the ABL kicks in and they become "shouty" - also, if you like bass, they're a little light (typical of all column speakers).  The 4000s are fine (great for the price), although they're just not as good as the 3s or 8000s.  You need to decide which compromise is most suitable to you.  Some like the ALT (especially when you can bounce the sound off the walls - according to some on this site - I don't own them), some don't.  Some like the 8000s, some don't.  Some can't see spending "that much" on speakers and prefer the 4000s.

In the end, it up to you... and what's important to you, although you should really try to hear them in an environment other than the dealer (or at least check the settings and placement).

Stan

• 09-02-2011 2:24 AM In reply to

I agree with the above, its all personal preference.  Get your dealer to bring them to you and demo in home, mine did and they sound totally different!  

• 09-02-2011 3:50 AM In reply to

I agree with the others, try them at your home , in your room, with no loudness or sound adjustments, and you'll be able to decide.

I used to hate the BeoLab 6000, for instance, they always sounded awful to me in shops, and I was so amazed when I listened to them at a friend's place!

I have all the speakers you mentionned, I like the versatility of the 4000, the looks of the 8000, and the performance of the 3.Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 09-02-2011 4:03 AM In reply to

• hotknife
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • Solingen/Germany
    • Posts 552
    • Bronze Member

If you have the money for a new pair of BL3, why not think of a pair of second hand BL9? I have started with a pair of BL8002 (replacing the older BL2500). Added a BL2 because the lack of bass. After a short demo of the BL9 in my living room, I traded the BL8002/BL2 combo for the BL9. So if I`ve took the time and listen to all speakers at home before, I could have saved some money.

Buy the way. After I have bought a pair of MKII BL4000 (placed as rear speakers), first I gave them a try as front speakers. I wanted to know if there is such a big difference BL4000 vs BL9. Yes, there is a difference (lower frequencies), but not as expected. BL4000 placed to a wall gives also a very good bass for its size.

BL3 € 3440, used pair approx. € 2000
    BL4000 € 2200, used pair approx. € 1000
    BL8002 € 3980, used pair BL8000 incl. bass update approx. € 2500
    BL9 € 7600, used pair approx. € 5000

Ask you dealer for a demo at home. It`s hard to tell someone which is the best speaker.

BeoVision 8-40, ATV2, BeoSound 4, Front BeoLab 9, Rear Beolab 4000 MKII, Beo 4

• 09-02-2011 1:06 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

I guess I will echo the advice to buy used, although I am somewhat conflicted in doing so.  First off, I've only bought 2 new sets of B&O speakers - BL8000s about 10 yr ago, and a BL2 a year or so later.  Since then, the speakers I've bought have been dealer demos (mostly) and used (once).  I've also bought plenty of new stuff - got to do my share to keep the dealer and company in business.  B&O speakers really do seem indistructable - although I've heard some talk of plder BL6000 drivers starting to wear out - so they tend to be a great value used.

On the other had, it always bothers me when I go to almost any enthusiast forum and someone asks opinions about such-and-such new product, and, undoubtedly, the thread breaks into a chorus of "don't buy X, buy Y used".  I find myself thinking.... but, but, but... I don't want used Y, I want new X, if I wanted used Y, I would have asked about used Y, why is everybody now debating the merits of used Y.  Yes, you can usually get a much better deal used, but you can also get ripped off if you're not careful. 

Buying brand new can be a wonderful experience with a motivated dealer providing full support (like getting a demo in your house prior to buying)... especially if you're not sure what you want, and you have enough means such that you're not also deciding between buying speaker X and feeding family/paying rent/mortgage.

Stan

• 09-02-2011 1:29 PM In reply to

I don't think any of them will disappoint. 3s are lovely compact little speakers but some people do find ALT speakers can sound rather forward in the treble register. The bass also gets confused at higher volumes (blame the ABRs) and they are quite expensive. I think they are great though! I do like 4000s though - good well balanced speakers.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)