in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-22-2011 12:55 PM by shinobi52. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-31-2011 7:27 AM

Besound 5 encore - Will I be happy with it?

Hi guys !

I need your help once again...

First, here's my current setup for audio : Loseless files on imac => Beoport => Beousound Ouverture + Beolab 4000s.

I'm thinking to buy the besound 5 encore to replace te ouverture, but ... Is it a good idea with the beolab 4000s ?
    Do you think I will have better sound that my current setup ?

I see next advantage if I change :

- Don't need to start the computer

- Can listen other sounds on computer ( Now I must choose if i listen on computer speakers or speakers in the livingroom )

- Beautifull interface

The negative one :

- I'll miss the design of the ouverture...

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Shinobi52

• 08-31-2011 9:22 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Re: Besound 5 encore - Will I be happy with it?

The sound quality could benefit from the DAC of the BS5E which is potentially better than the one in your current setup.

However the BS5E does not play Apple Lossless so it looks like the BS5E is not an option for you. Except if you convert your music library in FLAC or WMA Lossless... which iTunes cannot play Sad

• 08-31-2011 11:32 AM In reply to

Hi, are you using BMLink or Linkplayer on your Mac? Linkplayer makes it possible to use BeoPort as an audio master, so you can sell your BeoSound and use Linkplayer as audio master , the advantage being to remote control the system with RADIO/CD/A.MEM sources, for instance, + you get a beautiful B&O-looking interface, and you can navigate via your Iphone or Ipad if you have one. And the cost is minimal.

The next version of Linkplayer will make it possible to have 2 different sound zones, 1 on your Mac (where you could work without music), and another for BeoPort & link room distribution. In order to get the best of your BeoPort, you could feed it via a good DAC, that's exactly what I'm doing at the moment. I wanted so much to use the Encore, but apart from the Apple Lossless issue, it misses a few other things that I couldn't do without (like displaying song & artist names in NRADIO mode.. or handling multiple CD compilations, or non-stop playback in album mode)

There is a software that makes it possible to play FLAC files in Itunes, but it's not compatible with Ipods/Iphones.Sad

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 08-31-2011 12:02 PM In reply to

Chrisreunion:
    Hi, are you using BMLink or Linkplayer on your Mac? Linkplayer makes it possible to use BeoPort as an audio master, so you can sell your BeoSound and use Linkplayer as audio master , the advantage being to remote control the system with RADIO/CD/A.MEM sources, for instance, + you get a beautiful B&O-looking interface, and you can navigate via your Iphone or Ipad if you have one. And the cost is minimal.

The next version of Linkplayer will make it possible to have 2 different sound zones, 1 on your Mac (where you could work without music), and another for BeoPort & link room distribution. In order to get the best of your BeoPort, you could feed it via a good DAC, that's exactly what I'm doing at the moment. I wanted so much to use the Encore, but apart from the Apple Lossless issue, it misses a few other things that I couldn't do without (like displaying song & artist names in NRADIO mode.. or handling multiple CD compilations, or non-stop playback in album mode)

There is a software that makes it possible to play FLAC files in Itunes, but it's not compatible with Ipods/Iphones.Sad 

Chris,

Just scratching my head and wondering how and why?

My experience of using Beoport is one of mediocrity – mediocrity which was sufficient when I did not have access to my BS5 (for work reasons) to plug into my “global roaming” Beovision.

I mean, considering the path for the signal (if I understand you correctly):-

Source (PC, iPod/iPad/Mac) to USB

USB to DAC

DAC to Beoport

Beoport to 3.5mm Jack

3.5mm jack to output

The critical path here as I see it is the 3.5mm jack – no matter where the DAC is placed, you always have to rely on the jack-plug connection and this ultimately leads to bad sound.

I am wondering if I ever did things right with Beoport as I could never get an acceptable sound through it into the Beolabs from a non-B&O source. I always found it sounded muddy or clouded.

Personally would have BS5 at it high cost and the ability to hear relatively crisp clean music and forgo extended features than for the sake of features, the relative expense and the ability to transmit poor sound throughout my house with Beoport and the paraphernalia of all the other necessary add-ons. Maybe my priorities are completely wrong/different or I have missed something?

• 08-31-2011 12:55 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Mr10Percent:

Chris,

Just scratching my head and wondering how and why?

My experience of using Beoport is one of mediocrity – mediocrity which was sufficient when I did not have access to my BS5 (for work reasons) to plug into my “global roaming” Beovision.

I mean, considering the path for the signal (if I understand you correctly):-

Source (PC, iPod/iPad/Mac) to USB

USB to DAC

DAC to Beoport

Beoport to 3.5mm Jack

3.5mm jack to output

The critical path here as I see it is the 3.5mm jack – no matter where the DAC is placed, you always have to rely on the jack-plug connection and this ultimately leads to bad sound.

I am wondering if I ever did things right with Beoport as I could never get an acceptable sound through it into the Beolabs from a non-B&O source. I always found it sounded muddy or clouded.

Personally would have BS5 at it high cost and the ability to hear relatively crisp clean music and forgo extended features than for the sake of features, the relative expense and the ability to transmit poor sound throughout my house with Beoport and the paraphernalia of all the other necessary add-ons. Maybe my priorities are completely wrong/different or I have missed something?

I'm not Chris, but I think you have an extra link in your audio path.  What is the "3.5mm jack to output"?  The output of the BeoPort is PowerLink, or, if running as an "audio master" master link audio.  Or, are you talking about the headphone output jack?  Yes, I found this to be not that great audio wise.

Also, what is the difference between "DAC to BeoPort" and "BeoPort to 3.5mm jack"?  The audio input to the BeoPort is a 3.5mm jack, which would typically come directly from the DAC.  Sure, the 3.5mm jack is a weak link in the chain, but I'm not sure how weak.  I used to listen to my turntable through this port (disconnected the audio out from the Mac and connected the turntable's audio to the BeoPort), and was pretty happy with the sound.  It may not have been audiophile grade, but it definitely wasn't muddy or clouded.

Having said all this, I too gave up on BeoPort/BM-Link and moved to the BS5 because I found the BeoPort too fiddley.  More often than not, I had to reset something (computer, BeoPort or both) to get it to work after it had been idle for a time (and these were kind of hidden away so it was somewhat inconvenient).  Also, the interface to iTunes got all wonky at some point - playlists and Beo4 navigation became unpredictable (sometimes it would play the next song, sometimes it would play some random song, I could not navigate to some songs).  Granted, these were all issues with BM-Link, and maybe LinkPlayer has resolved these issue.  However, it was worth the $$$ to me to have a system where I (or wife/kids) could press a button on the remote and be assured that it would work 100% of the time).  I re-ripped most of my CDs to lossless and now hardly ever use my BS9000. 

I don't find the BS5's "lack of features" lacking.  However, others do so you really have to understand your own priorities with respect to features.  If you're looking for utmost control and feedback, you'll probably be disappointed with the BS5.  If you prefer simplicity and are less demanding about control and feedback (just let the thing play music - I'm too busy to spend my time creating playlists), then maybe the BS5 is for you.  Also, the BS5 will probably sound better.

Stan

• 08-31-2011 2:01 PM In reply to

Stan,

Thank you for your comments. To be clear, my typical work-place set-up is BS5/BV7/BL5/BL3 which travels around with me as I move from country to country and job to job. There was an instance recently when re-locating, I carried the BS5 home to my UK home and worked with the PC/Beoport set-up via Masterlink to provide music. I now have a second BS5 to play with. One for my work location, one for home location.

The extended point that I was trying to get across – and this is purely subjective on my part, the PC/Beoport combo just sounded sh**e on the Beolabs. No matter what I did – even borrowing portables like ipod or other PC’s from work colleagues to test made no difference (apart from not hearing my PC fan all the time).

IIRC, the “Source” (PC/iPod/storage) always outputs sound via a 3.5mm jack to the Beoport, the USB into/out of the PC controls the remote control loop via Beoplayer, the remote IR eye (if attached), other B&O sources. Finally the sound output is via Beolink or Masterlink to the speakers.

Ultimately what I am challenging here is two key assumptions; a) that I have previously failed to set-up Beoport in a way to get the most out of it as indicated lower down the thread and b) that the primary qualitative feature of the BS5 (i.e. sound) is somehow trumped by the use/features of other third-party equipment coupled with Beoport?

• 08-31-2011 3:06 PM In reply to

Thanks !

JS : For the format, it's not a problem for me, I accept to convert it to FLAC if it's for a good reason :-p

Chrisreunion : I was thinking about this solution, but I prefer to keep my ouverture or get a besound 5.

Stan : I'm living the same thing as you, I must reset the beoport on the mac to make it work after some days without using it. It's make me crazy, and makes more crazy my wife ;-)

I think to buy a beosound 5 encore...

If somoene have other advice or idea, you're welcome !

ps: sorry for my bad english...

• 09-01-2011 4:25 AM In reply to

Don't be sorry for your english!

I often had to reset BeoPort when using it with a PC, but NEVER had to reset it since I turned to Apple. I must say that my BeoPort is fed by a dedicated MacMini connected to a -dedicated- plasma screen where I can navigate through menus with Iphone, Beo4,or even the Apple Remote (thanks to Linkplayer), and with the sound going to a DAC Magic before reaching the BeoPort.I find this solution much more flexible, since your Iphone or Ipad/Ipod Touch gives you 2-way communication (and control) all over the house. B&O's solution at the moment is "add a BeoSound 5 Encore to each room"..Stick out tongueWell, I'm not a millionaire yet!

And yes, I agree that the headphone output of the BeoPort is a disaster! I once connected my BeoLab 8000 from the main room to it, in order to use my Pentas - in another room-through the Powerlink output, and had to give up very quickly: too much noise.

Obviously the Encore should provide a better sound performance than a BeoPort in the main room, I hope so, for the price you pay! Will the sound be 8 times better (price difference between BeoPort & Encore)? I doubt it. However I don't see the need for ultimate sound in link rooms with BeoLab 3500 or 2000 all around. Besides, the Encore doesn't offer BeoLink integration for the moment.

As for sound with BeoLab 5 + BeoSound, if we want to be 100% objective, you'll get better sound with BeoLab 5s connected to the computer's sound output with volume control on the 5s, than connecting the 5s to the Encore, since it has no digital output..Stick out tongue

At the end of the day, you're the only one who knows what are your priorities: BeoLink integration, 2-way communication, sound performance, flexibility, or ..designHmm

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 09-09-2011 12:26 PM In reply to

Ok guys...Just go to my dealer to see the beosound 5 encore...

And I order one Big Smile

• 09-21-2011 4:30 PM In reply to

I receive It today !!!

What's the best, a NAS or a USB HDD just for the Beosound 5 ?

Sounds great with simple MP3, can't wait to listen my FLAC collection ;-)

Photos will come this weekend...

Cheers,

• 09-21-2011 4:54 PM In reply to

• kimhav
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 127
    • Bronze Member

Well, I would go for a proper NAS; you'll then be able to upload and update your music archive without having to pull the drive from the encore. Also, if go for a NAS which offers RAID5 (you'll then need a minimum of 3 drives) you'll also have a built in a good fault tolerance.

• 09-22-2011 3:24 AM In reply to

Thank you Kimhav for you help.

• 09-22-2011 12:55 PM In reply to

Just connected the beosound on the wifi network, but it doesn't find any radio.

What must I do? I try the <>Go but don't change :(

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)