in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-28-2011 6:28 PM by Leslie. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-30-2011 7:13 PM

Looking for a brand new Serene!

Hi all,

I'm back for a long sabbatical. I visited Selfridges London recently and was entertained by B&O's massive Plasma display.

It got me thinking, I really want a brand new Serene. Any one know where I can get one?!! I am happy to buy one from abroad if it is genuine and BNIB. I know this is a long-shot however I know that they will rise in value as I never rated the Serenata and I don't believe they are due to make any more handsets.

Thanks

• 08-30-2011 10:15 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Re: Looking for a brand new Serene!

I think eBay would be the best place to check. Apart from that maybe contact dealers individually.

You may have better luck if your post gets moved to the private/wanted section.

Evan

• 09-02-2011 6:10 PM In reply to

Hi,

Thanks for that. I have emailed EVERY dealer in the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy. None have the new Serene. I have found one seller on ebay www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNIB-Bang-Olufsen-Beocom-Serene-Mobile-Vertu-Designer-/280729404891?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item415cc6c5db#ht_3468wt_1141 who has sold them before. I will continue emailing a few more obscure countries' dealer networks before buying that one.

• 09-02-2011 8:22 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I'm curious as to why you would want ANY B&O mobile let alone a Serene & why the insistance on it being brand new? £2K for a supposedly unopened one is madness Confused Every mobile phone that B&O have been involved with has been overly priced & lacking in functionality with the Serene being only slightly preferable to the equally rubbish Serenata which in all honesty is just an overpriced fairly decent mp3 player which can also make phone calls.

Don't get me wrong here - I am simply expressing my personal opinion & I know there are many happy Serene owners out there - but regrettably I know there are many more unhappy ones.

Each to their own though & good luck with your search but the only new one you are likely to find is gonna set you back £2K which you will regret paying.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 09-03-2011 3:31 AM In reply to

• AT
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 187
    • Founder

About a year ago I've seen one in the window of the Hungarian B&O shop. It could be there....

• 09-03-2011 6:14 AM In reply to

Thanks, I will try Hungary although if it was on display it would be ex-display not new no?

The reason for me searching for new ones is that I think this is a unique product. Whilst the Serenata was just a generic Samsung phone this was the only mobile B&O made that won acclaim and still to this day is 'cool', 'unique' and 'iconic'. It is not an iPhone but then really none of my B&O tv's have been superior to their rivals however 10 years on I want them in my home, the other Japanese crap can take a hike.

With the Serene I think in time people will come to recognise this as a really impressive piece of kit. The reason for having it new is that all the ones being sold are really in poor shape. Having mine as new and as a show-piece will make it unique. One to enjoy and keep for the future collectors. That's my opinion but judging by how hard it is to find even an ex-demo (none in any country I emailed, let alone a new one) it seems fairly valid versus their other products. The London branches also advised me that the phones were massively popular with the wealthy Arab and Nigerian clients they had and if they had them in stock they'd sell 10 a day.

• 09-03-2011 6:20 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Medogsfat:
    Every mobile phone that B&O have been involved with has been overly priced & lacking in functionality

Everytime I look at the Serene in the promo images, I want one. Everytime I went to buy a Serene, and saw it in person, I changed my mind! It was always much bigger than the photos suggest and the functionality was odd. I like the idea of having a really small clamshell phone, in rubber. But, the Serene never convinced me when I went to pull the trigger.

Casually looked on eBay recently and saw a new model on-sale for £1K! Madness.

I'd love to buy a different phone - everyone has an iPhone now - but there are few good alternative options. The forthcoming Windows mobile UI looks interesting, in a very different kind of way.

• 09-03-2011 7:43 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

ssgill:
    The reason for me searching for new ones is that I think this is a unique product.

So was the Sinclair C5! Is that next on your 'must have' list? 

No - thumbs down

• 09-03-2011 8:35 AM In reply to

Very tactile phone - certainly as good as a Vertu and rather less bling (it doesn't have the concierge system obviously but most will have a similar system through one's bank).

I did have one for a while but gave it back as it kept breaking - the hinge motor kept staying on and running the battery down. I had it fixed once but it did just the same on return from B&O. I liked it as a phone - the camera was next to useless though. I am afraid I have an iPhone now - in a completely different league - rubbish phone but handles email and web surfing brilliantly. Some of the apps are now indispensible. I can see it being an interesting piece in later years - though no doubt the technology will have moved on and it won't work! I liked the Serenata too - even more tactile and good MP3 player - compleetely hopeless as a phone though! How to make texting difficult!!

• 09-03-2011 9:18 AM In reply to

The Serene is a beatifull phone ! I have the serene & serenata, use the serenate everyday but the serene is, for me, the most beautifull one !

I've seen one few weeks ago in a Belgium Brussels shop : but don't remember where ( 3 shops in Brussels). Call them !

BANG & OLUFSEN Steylemans

Rue Alfred Stevens 74
    1020 BRUSSELS
    T: 0032 2 4787878

BANG & OLUFSEN Louise

Chée de Charleroi 27
    1060 BRUXELLES
    T: 0032 2-6400825

BANG & OLUFSEN Teleprince

AV. PRINCE DE LIGNE, 24
    1180 BRUXELLES
    T: 0032 23749849

Good luck !

• 09-04-2011 4:42 AM In reply to

Hi guys,

Glad there are some people appreciating the excellence of the Serene design and its collectable attributes! To all those who have provided emails, sadly the dealers mentioned have lost boxes etc and so they just have the phone or the phones have been marked and used by customers.

My search continues!! I think I may just pull the trigger on the new one on ebay, I can't see myself losing anything if I keep it.

• 09-10-2011 4:53 AM In reply to

I BOUGHT IT!!

My BRAND NEW Serene just arrived!!

I love it!!! Worth the money definitely.

• 09-10-2011 6:28 AM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Re: I BOUGHT IT!!

Have fun with it.  They're great looking phones!  I got mine 5 years ago when they came out and it's still working fine.  If it does eventually go, I'll probably just look for another one or maybe try it's younger brother.

• 09-11-2011 12:04 PM In reply to

• AT
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 187
    • Founder

I'm happy to hear it Smile

Can You please share with us, where did You found it, and what was the selling price?

• 09-11-2011 1:35 PM In reply to

Once again thanks for all the emails!

The dealers didn't have any brand new (many simply laughed down the phone in the same way the maitre d' @ Dorcia did at Patrick Bateman in American Psycho when he requested a same-day reservation!

I bought from the UK seller on ebay who is selling a Brand New Serene. He is a great guy if not a little eccentric, I am pretty from emailing pretty much every B&O dealer in the developed world over the past month that he is the only one with them. I paid £1800 although he is selling for £2000 to cut a deal just for me. It was worth the saving as I will keep it in pristine condition and think it will only appreciate in value to real B&O aficionados as the only truly cool 'iconic' B&O mobile. Kick Mobiles www.kickmobiles.com used to sell for £2000 + VAT but stopped getting stock about a year ago.

• 09-11-2011 1:45 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

ssgill:

I paid £1800...

One smiley for that: Surprise

Good lord. You must have really wanted a Serene!

• 09-11-2011 2:04 PM In reply to

The way I see it is the only one in the world I can find new. How many people can say they own a B&O product such as this? The other great thing is it takes so little space it can be stored or used (i.e. be with you at all times).

• 10-10-2011 12:44 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

ssgill:

The way I see it is the only one in the world I can find new.

Er.... looks like this seller was a little economical with the truth with his claims to have sold you the ONLY NEW ONE IN THE WORLD. Hmm

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a few of these things waiting to be listed.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 10-10-2011 1:24 PM In reply to

• XTHX
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-08-2011
    • Posts 9
    • Gold Member

And here it is again .... http://www.ebay.com/itm/BNIB-Bang-Olufsen-Beocom-Serene-Mobile-Vertu-Tag-Phone-Designer-MUST-SEE-/280751922524?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item415e1e5d5c#ht_3444wt_1348

• 10-10-2011 4:18 PM In reply to

At least seller could have made some decent pictures for that kind of money.

Never knew, to be honest, that people would spend that much for the Serene, so this guy is actually selling! I think seller is referring to member "ssqill" who's the only 1 in the world buyerBig Smile

The Serene is a beautifull looking phone, no doubtYes -  thumbs up

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 10-10-2011 4:55 PM In reply to

At the time it just looked so wrong seeing the word 'Samsung' next to the wording 'Bang and olufsen'

I remember ordering one at the end of 2005 from B&O of York but cancelled it at the last minute. For me the killer was the Samsung name on it  and that weird camera on the side of it!

The iPhone 4 should of been the phone that B&O launched due to the beautiful construction of it!

• 10-10-2011 5:54 PM In reply to

When I see the price Pound Sterling 1.800,00 I wonder how many vintage items I can get for that amount.Big Smile Oh man, Oh man.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 10-10-2011 6:10 PM In reply to

2800 USD, 2067 EuronsSurprise

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 10-13-2011 8:26 AM In reply to

If my memory serves me right, B&O gave the then president G W Bush a Serene when they launched.  At the time presidents weren't allowed mobile phones (Obama sulked so he is allowed to keep one). 

Anyway, what are the chances of GWB actually opening it and using it - maybe he has a brand new Serene. 

ssgill -this may be your chance if you ask him nicely!!!

• 10-13-2011 12:23 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Oh dear - it just got WORSE for ssgill.Sad I would feel that I had been lied to if I were him & ask for a refund.

Still way overpriced though even at these "bargain" prices.

Chris.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >