in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-03-2011 10:26 AM by Leslie. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-30-2011 5:28 PM

Long Shot - but help needed please

I have somehow damaged my Bang & Olufsen Vol. XIII – The Sound of Perfection CD that my mum likes listening to in the car, the only 2 tracks that are now damaged and virtually unplayable are Track 1 and Track 4, I did copy this album for safe keeping to a hard drive, but I have a feeling it is in Spain, and I won't be able to visit again until Xmas, so does anyone have this "Active Listening" volume 8 CD, it comes in a nice aluminium cover, as far as I know they were only given to staff, and customers, you cannot buy, well I don't think you can.

• 08-31-2011 7:18 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Re: Long Shot - but help needed please

Can't help with a copy of the CD, but I presume you have tried cleaning it? This can sometimes work enough to rip the album to the PC and burn a copy.

Also, there are I believe CD programs for the PC which claim to recover damaged discs. I've never tried them, but perhaps worth a try.

• 08-31-2011 8:13 AM In reply to

Kokomo:
    Can't help with a copy of the CD, but I presume you have tried cleaning it? This can sometimes work enough to rip the album to the PC and burn a copy.

Yes, never use original CDs in the car... so I suppose it's also scratched and not just dirty.

The first thing indeed is trying it in a CD-ROM drive, and in another one if the first one fails. They are sometimes better than dedicated audio CD players when reading damaged discs.

Next comes polishing with toothpaste. Apply with fingers, from center to edge, never along the "grooves"! Clean and try ripping again. This often removes scratches enough that the disc can be read again.

Remember that the data is actually on the label side of the disc, protected with only a thin layer of lacquer while the other side is thick plastic. So don't damage the label side while working with the other. Also, the disc reads from inside out if you need to assess where the damage might be located physically.

-mika

• 08-31-2011 8:19 AM In reply to

As Mika suggested, I can also imagine watch crystal polish, polywatch is one manufacturer. Meant for poliching scratches from Hesalite or plexiglass watch crystals. Can usually be found for a few euros from a watchmaker/watchbattery service.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 09-03-2011 9:57 AM In reply to

I bought some watch crystal polish today, and was very careful whilst doing it, then I tried to rip it in 7 different computers and laptops at work, all sadly to no avail - just goes to show how fragile these spinners are folks !

One very nice person on the forum does have the same CD as me, so should be able to keep my mum happy when she comes around again.

• 09-03-2011 10:26 AM In reply to

You mean this? I bought them severals time from someone in Germany.

I can post you his adress.

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)