in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-03-2011 2:03 PM by yachadm. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-30-2011 5:21 AM

BM3400 - finally needing help myself... [solved :-) ]

Hello repairers Wink

Got myself a Beomaster 3400 (quad) and there's no service manual on site. Although I do have a lot of schematics myself this one isn't there. I got those a long time ago from a repair shop. If they didn't have it they've never seen one in reality - must have been a pretty reliable one (or a rare one)Stick out tongue

And no envelope inside - must be one of the "newer" vintage products Sad

One of the power amplifier seems to be gone (both transistors blown). Obviously someone was there inside before me as one of the stages has TIP141/146, the other three TIP120/125 pairs. What was the original one? The 120/125, I suppose... As long as it's the output stage only I might get along by myself, but it's a lot easier with the original schematics.

No further checking done yet; mechanically this is tricky - most of the other receivers have disassemble instructions on the bottom. This one doesn't. But it has the "bonnet hood" mechanics inside. That was quality back then Cool

Thanks in advance,

Gunther

• 08-30-2011 6:13 AM In reply to

Re: BM3400 - finally needing help myself...

Try the service manual for Beomaster 2000, it's very similar. At least mechanically Smile

-mika

• 08-30-2011 10:31 AM In reply to

Mika,

thanks for the thought. Had a look myself already but it seems to be different as far as I can see up to now.

The BM2000 has the TIP141/146 combo - and there are 2 versions of the power amplifier Sad

This BM3400 was dead as could be with both primary fuses blown. Meanwhile I have it running with all the bulbs refitted as it showed no sign of life even after changing the fuses (and removing the fried TIPs). Without the scale bulb all the others seem to do nothing.

The right front channel plays FM ok now, the station pots had their wheels loosened and didn't turn the spindle etc.

And the wooden housing is broken into 3 parts...

It'll be a long way to go, but that's where the fun is Smile

Gunther

• 08-30-2011 11:23 AM In reply to

This is not going to be a repair guide - can't compete with Soren / Rich / Ev / Martin / Bogener's etc.

But reading the operating manual gave back life to the rear channels immediately ... by pressing "Stereo" - how about RTFM Embarrassed

Gunther

• 08-30-2011 11:44 AM In reply to

hemenex:

This is not going to be a repair guide - can't compete with Soren / Rich / Ev / Martin / Bogener's etc.

But reading the operating manual gave back life to the rear channels immediately ... by pressing "Stereo" - how about RTFM Embarrassed

Gunther

A pic or 2 will doWink

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 08-30-2011 12:54 PM In reply to

Søren Mexico:
    A pic or 2 will doWink

If there's nothing more....

You can see the 141/146 to the left, in the middle the removed fried ones (120/125), to the right the 120/125 pair that's still ok.

Now not knowing if I should use the 120'/125 or the 141/146. Probably both will do (and I have more 120/125 than from the others). Now that I have 3 out of 4 running maybe it will be repairing by comparing Wink

Anyway - a manual would help. Or maybe I have to ask someone in Struer next May to dig into their archive...

Gunther

• 08-31-2011 3:13 PM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Hemenex,

Send me your email, and your BM3400's Serial number (there were 2 versions) I'll scan my original Service Manual for you.

Regards

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 08-31-2011 3:25 PM In reply to

Hello Menahem,

helpful as ever Big Smile

PM sent. hope it gets through as I've had problems with the IE before. Firefox seems to work though.

Thanks alot,

Gunther

P.S. Fourth channel working, comparing with the other three worked out fine. Used the TIP120/125. And there has been another one in this machine before for sure - a lot of transistors in the pre-stages were different in the 4 channels Hmm And if you have a close look at the transistor just below the pot - that one had a crack in the housing. And one of the 4148 was blown as well as the 10R resistor...

• 09-01-2011 4:46 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Manual sent - let me know that you got it OK.

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 09-01-2011 5:47 AM In reply to

yep, thanks again...

can't compete with your BM3400, though. Mine has to do with a little cleaning, glueing the wood together and lettin' it run for some days...

No real quadrophonic sources available Sad

Have you ever tried out the matrix decoder?

Gunther

P.S. Problem solved, case closed Big Smile

• 09-02-2011 4:21 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

You can use the CD4 Din5 input at the rear for any line-level source - I use mine for a CD. That leaves the Tape inputs for Tape and VCR - you can play with the front and rear inputs, and the Stereo button to get whatever you want on all 4 speakers, or 2 at a time.

Over the last 10 years, I have restored 3 BG6000 quads, but each time I demonstrated it,  the customer took it away. So I am waiting to find another one. In the meantime, I'll be very happy with my "new" BG4000. I still have a large selection of CD4 and SQ Martix LP's.

The (SQ) Matrix is very nice if you have 4 speakers, and a Matrix LP. Matrix LP's can be played on a stereo turntable. Unlike the CD4, the SQ decoding is done inside the BM3400. Playing a regular Stereo LP with the Matrix button depressed is a matter of taste. Some I like Matrix, some I prefer with regular stereo.

Also, try playing an LP with no buttons (not even the Stereo button) depressed at all (except the Phono) - that is pure unprocessed sound, as it comes off the stylus.

I like this best of all.

• 09-03-2011 3:51 AM In reply to

BTW: @ Søren: Wink

#2:

Gunther

• 09-03-2011 4:34 AM In reply to

Menahem,

Is there a special marking on those CD4- od SQ-Vinyls like "CD4" or "SD"?

I do have several LP's left over from my youth but back then I didn't recognize (or better: accept)  the short quadro hype.

Gunther

• 09-03-2011 2:03 PM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Here is a picture of 4 of my LP's - encircled in color.

The top 2 are CD4 - RCA Quadradisc, Project3 QD

The bottom 2 are SQ - Project3 SQ and SD

Those are the most common markings.

JVC used "CD" (ha-ha - a sign of things to come) or "CD4".

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)