in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-25-2011 5:11 AM by jc. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-24-2011 9:24 AM

Beolab 5 are they really that good

seems not eveyone agrees with our opinions of the great one from another forum - can i post this ? ettiquette and all

Yes, I have heard the Beolab 5's - we used to stock them. I appreciate they were active in woth the cost, and I can appreciate what they tried to achieve, but they weren't worth £10k (the price at the time). Now they're £14k, that means they're even less value for money. There wasn't really one aspect of the sound that excelled, and neither midrange, bass, nor treble could hold a candle to KEF Reference, ProAc, ATC, PMC etc. Sorry, but B&O are lifestyle speakers. Yes, they're well made, yes, they use expensive materials, and yes, they're reliable. But that's all the good I have to say about them. I appreciate that B&O comes with cables, but that's because they're an active speaker, and has to come with cables in order to be used with a B&O head unit. When pushed hard, B&O speakers become thin and edgy, which is basically down to insufficient amplification for the job. It's not that I dislike B&O amplification because I use a Pioneer SCLX83, which uses ICE amplification, and that's a cracking product.

• 08-24-2011 9:42 AM In reply to

Re: Beolab 5 are they really that good

Yes ... they are really that good !!!

Before i bought my pair, i checked many reference system against it (Naim, Linn, Dynaudio, Thiel Audio)... and went for BL5.

Why?

1. Surprise: The price! When you try to reach a similar level, you spend almost double the cost of a BL5, because you need to buy quite expensive electronics (amps) + cables.

2. Peace of mind. You don't have to bother with pairing of speakers and amps ... finding the right cables ... choosing the right source (CD, Streamer etc.) ... the DAC and the DSP processing inside the BL5 do the job ... and i find it quite forgiving regarding low-res music, very much unlike many of the high-end systems ... with these you could throw away half of your music-collection, because it sounded just groce.

3. Exactly the opposite of this: "When pushed hard, B&O speakers become thin and edgy, which is basically down to insufficient amplification for the job" ... That is complete BS!!! In real live you tend to hear music very loud with the BL5, because they perform so effortless.

4. The design. It is a sculpture ... a piece of art ... a statement! And i love it.

For me the BL5 is one of the best products B&O ever made ... and best value for the money in their product range.

Regards

BV 7-40 BR ... Beolab 5 front ... Beolab 8000 rear ... Beolab 2 Sub ... Apple TV ... Apple NAS ... Beosound Ouverture  ... Technisat HD8-S ... Sonos ZP 90

• 08-24-2011 10:00 AM In reply to

I agree when i heard them in a demo room they were fab 

• 08-24-2011 11:08 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Rookie:

For me the BL5 is one of the best products B&O ever made ... and best value for the money in their product range.

Having owned the BL5s, 2 x BL9s and BL3s, I'd say that the BL3s are the best speakers B&O have made. The compact design belies the sound you get from them. Better still, they improve with age. I once read they take two years to mature and they were right, they do. I also have received more positive comments about the BL3s than any other B&O speaker. Most likely as people are surprised by the sound you get from such as a small size.

That doesn't mean the BL5s aren't good. They're great. However, you need to make sure you use them in the right sized room, right surroundings etc.

• 08-24-2011 11:39 AM In reply to

This post presents an interesting set of premises.  To review the background of the BL5 a little bit, I suggest the following paper, which I presented to the Acoustcal Society of America in 2003, at the time of the introduction of the BL5:

http://www.moultonlabs.com/more/new_loudspeaker_design/

It's worth considering.  

I'v always considered the BL5 the best value among B&O products simply because it accomplishes so much with its resources (which are also way beyond what most loudspeakers have available).  The growth in cost from 2003 to 2011 just about keeps pace with inflation.  

The BL3 is a remarkable product that accomplishes a great deal with a very small footprint.  However, it cannot approach the BL5 in performance (I use both, daily, in my studio).  

Anyway, keeping in mind that I am biased as one of the proud parents of the BL5, I think it really is remarkably good and that we raised the bar with it by quite a bit.  

Thanks for listening!

Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 08-24-2011 12:07 PM In reply to

"When pushed hard, B&O speakers become thin and edgy, which is basically down to insufficient amplification for the job"

This is simply not the fact!

Its just the standard bla bla bla... I sometimes push my 5s almost to the maximum and I am always pleased how they handle this without any change in reproduction of the music.

If these beasts wouldn't have that 61KG weight per speaker I would always go for ANY challenge with any of the named speakers and I would bet the 5's would simply blow 'em out of the window..

Listen for yourself and judge for yourself!

Stephan

• 08-24-2011 12:16 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Dave Moulton:

The BL3 is a remarkable product that accomplishes a great deal with a very small footprint.  However, it cannot approach the BL5 in performance (I use both, daily, in my studio).  

I definitely wasn't implying that the BL3s compete against the BL5s :)

Simply that, for their size and their cost, the BL3s represent superb value for money and they surprise more people than the BL9s and the BL5s. Yes the BL5s are superb and, of course, superior to the BL3s, but people see them and their size and aren't surprised that they sound so good. They don't expect the BL3's to be as good as they perform.

• 08-24-2011 1:45 PM In reply to

moxxey:

I definitely wasn't implying that the BL3s compete against the BL5s :)

Simply that, for their size and their cost, the BL3s represent superb value for money and they surprise more people than the BL9s and the BL5s. Yes the BL5s are superb and, of course, superior to the BL3s, but people see them and their size and aren't surprised that they sound so good. They don't expect the BL3's to be as good as they perform.

I have Beolab 3's as well as Beolab 5's and I agree with you about the Beolab 3's. Some people who have heard my Beolab 3's thinks they are lacking in bass. But for the size, they are amazing.

About the Beolab 5's: Even some people I know who are not B&O minded have to admit they sound awesome.

Because of the size and design they have a big visual impact, especially if they are placed in a room that is not that big. Size of course is relative. I would say the speakers are small if you look at the sound they produce and the technology packed inside them. But compared to my furniture for instance, they are quite massive. For me that is a big downside to the Beolab 5's and I've been thinking about selling them quite often. 

The Beolab 5's are very good value for money. Like Rookie I think you need to spend more money if you decide to use other manufacturers and want similar results.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 08-24-2011 3:21 PM In reply to

ALT gave me better results than my previous high end seperate systems.

Not heard BL5 but going on experience of BL9 they might just be the best availabe.

• 08-24-2011 5:49 PM In reply to

The BL5's are amazing for the money.

YES, they STILL are amazing for the money. (18.500 euro)

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 08-24-2011 6:09 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

beocool:
    I have Beolab 3's as well as Beolab 5's and I agree with you about the Beolab 3's. Some people who have heard my Beolab 3's thinks they are lacking in bass. But for the size, they are amazing.

Maybe. I'm thinking of getting a BL11 to compliment the BL3s. Should help improve the bass.

• 08-24-2011 10:12 PM In reply to

• John
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • Melbourne Australia
    • Posts 64
    • Bronze Member

MGBGTV8:

seems not eveyone agrees with our opinions of the great one from another forum - can i post this ? ettiquette and all

Yes, I have heard the Beolab 5's - we used to stock them. I appreciate they were active in woth the cost, and I can appreciate what they tried to achieve, but they weren't worth £10k (the price at the time). Now they're £14k, that means they're even less value for money. There wasn't really one aspect of the sound that excelled, and neither midrange, bass, nor treble could hold a candle to KEF Reference, ProAc, ATC, PMC etc. Sorry, but B&O are lifestyle speakers. Yes, they're well made, yes, they use expensive materials, and yes, they're reliable. But that's all the good I have to say about them. I appreciate that B&O comes with cables, but that's because they're an active speaker, and has to come with cables in order to be used with a B&O head unit. When pushed hard, B&O speakers become thin and edgy, which is basically down to insufficient amplification for the job. It's not that I dislike B&O amplification because I use a Pioneer SCLX83, which uses ICE amplification, and that's a cracking product.

Hmmm.  

An opinion as to sound, especially from audiophiles (who usually listen to the kit, and not the music) is subjective at best.

Objectively, and using measurement and science as facts, and not subjective audiophile opinion presented as fact, the above post does not add up, as Beolab 5's measure utterly superbly compared to loudspeakers at any price, and are an undeniable electrical and acoustic tour de force in the audio world.

That one should choose to not like them is purely subjective, but their measured performance and the science behind the acoustic design, is utterly proven and inarguable fact.

Having debunked 'opinions' stated as facts, I'll offer a couple of thoughts of my own.

I'm a pretty much recovered audiophool these days.

I got suckered into the whole audiophool obsessive nonsense via a ultimately very poor value for money and hugely expensive full fat Naim Audio separates system.

I've returned from the land of the foolish, and to my trained musical roots (voice, piano and trumpet) where if outlandish night and day performance claims are made about mega expensive high end kit, I need to see the measurements, and also the results of ABX blind testing before accepting any such claims of 'superiority' over supposedly 'lessor' or 'cheaper' kit.  Accordingly, if something is heavily denigrated or knocked re the above linked post re the Beolab 5's, I need to see the measurements to support that opinion, otherwise it is just so much subjective hogwash in my view - and as I say, the measurements of the Beolab 5's are pretty much state of the art for a loudspeaker.

My personal opinion of the Beolab 5's, when using music as a measure of aural assesment (and not other loudspeakers or kit) is that it presents music in one of the most lifelike, believable, realistic, involving and natural manners that I have ever heard from any loudspeaker that I've ever heard over the near 40 odd years I've been involved with this hobby.  As a practicising, trained classical musician, my opinion is that the Beolab 5 is simply one of the very best loudspeakers availble in the world today, and at any price.

Kind Regards

John... Smile

No-one ever regretted buying quality.

• 08-25-2011 1:27 AM In reply to

moxxey:

beocool:

Maybe. I'm thinking of getting a BL11 to compliment the BL3s. Should help improve the bass.

That would make a nice combo. Smile

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 08-25-2011 5:11 AM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

In another recent tread I questioned the midrange of the beolab 3's, and mr moulton gave a very informative answer. They're great speakers but there're remains the lack of midrange which is a result of the chosen crossover-frequencies if I remember right. They surely surprise for their size.

Remains the question if a similar choice has been made in case of the beolab 9's and 5's. 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)