in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-25-2011 4:18 AM by jahur. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-24-2011 6:08 AM

• jahur
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-07-2011
    • planet zonk
    • Posts 161
    • Bronze Member

pitching for high hopes.......

hi all, may have a problem with my 32 avant... all of a sudden i have this annoying high pitch coming from the rear of the avant.

any ideas as to what this may be?

cheers again all....

jason

(formerly nokinnikon from the old site)

• 08-24-2011 10:39 AM In reply to

Re: pitching for high hopes.......

Jason,

When you say you have an "annoying high pitch" coming from the rear of the AVANT, can you say what kind of noise, is it

1. a high frequency whistle
    2. Can it also be heard in the speakers ?
    3. Is it always there all the time or only for a short time after switch on ?
    4. Does the sound come on instantly you switch on ?
    5. Does the sound continue until you switch the TV off or does it fade after a time ?

Regards Keith....

• 08-24-2011 12:19 PM In reply to

Hi Keith,

Kind of related... I have an avant 28dvd that has an impending tube failure, I think.

Faint lines are visible behind the picture, most visible on on darker images, ( hard to say on light images - say BBC news 24 studio shots, or an outside, daytime image) they runing horizontally across the screen in a sort of stretched S shape....(may be called scan lines, seems to ring a bell??)  and I think they are the precurser to a failed tube .

Any tips about mending the 28DVD apreciated ..is it an adjustment issue or is the tube about to die ??

• 08-24-2011 4:15 PM In reply to

• jahur
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-07-2011
    • planet zonk
    • Posts 161
    • Bronze Member

Keith Saunders:

Jason,

When you say you have an "annoying high pitch" coming from the rear of the AVANT, can you say what kind of noise, is it

1. a high frequency whistle
    2. Can it also be heard in the speakers ?
    3. Is it always there all the time or only for a short time after switch on ?
    4. Does the sound come on instantly you switch on ?
    5. Does the sound continue until you switch the TV off or does it fade after a time ?

hi keith

many thanks for your reply, ok ill break it down like this

1. yes

2. no, just through the rear grille, if im looking at the grille its coming from near top right.

3. short time after switch on, disappears then returns then stops and may come back

4. no

5. no, it goes when switched off.

hope this helps keith, look forward to your reply

jason

• 08-25-2011 4:07 AM In reply to

folkdeejay:

Faint lines are visible behind the picture, most visible on on darker images, ( hard to say on light images - say BBC news 24 studio shots, or an outside, daytime image) they runing horizontally across the screen in a sort of stretched S shape....(may be called scan lines, seems to ring a bell??)  and I think they are the precurser to a failed tube .

I regret to say that this is almost certainly the tube on its way out. You are seeing the "Flyback" lines which are normally not visable except if the brightness is turned up beyond normal setting. Reducing the contrast/brightness a little will reduce the visible problem for the viewer, but clearly does not solved the core issue.

Regards Keith....

• 08-25-2011 4:14 AM In reply to

jahur:

many thanks for your reply, ok ill break it down like this

1. yes

2. no, just through the rear grille, if im looking at the grille its coming from near top right.

3. short time after switch on, disappears then returns then stops and may come back

4. no

5. no, it goes when switched off.

Based on your answers I would say that the most likely source of the high pitched whistle is the "Line Output Transformer" which produces the high voltage for the anode of the tube. The line output oscillator runs at just over 16 Khz which generally speaking only younger people can hear faintly, but a faulty LOPT can make it very audible to most people.

Other than the high pitched whistle, is the picture perfect or has there also been some recent chnages to the quality of the picture ?

Regards Keith....

• 08-25-2011 4:18 AM In reply to

• jahur
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-07-2011
    • planet zonk
    • Posts 161
    • Bronze Member

hi keith, thanks for that, the picture is totally faultless, its as strong as ever.

jason

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)