in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-24-2011 5:19 PM by Puncher. 37 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-23-2011 1:42 AM In reply to

Re: Top Gear B&O

For all FANS who want to download TOP GEAR (also in HD):

GO GO GO here:

http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgear/

Regards, Robert

• 08-23-2011 3:34 AM In reply to

Evan:

bayerische:

Razlaw:

mediabobny:

'Loved the episode that was supposed to be a 3-way comparison of a R-R Ghost, Mercedes S65 AMG, and Bentley Mulsanne.  Bentley at the last moment refused to lend them a car so they substituted a Yugo and reviewed it as if it were the Bentley.  Good stuff..

I agree. Great episode. 

Also liked the one where they were driving here in the USA and Clarkson had a cow on his roof.

Which episode is that?

The trip through the deep south!

I've seen the deep south, but the one with RR, MB and the Yugo?

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 08-23-2011 5:22 AM In reply to

It simply isn't true to say'most brits' don't watch Top Gear anymore. It's regularly BBC2s highest rating show by a country mile bringing in 5.4 million viewers and would get into the top ten of all television in the UK if you exclude soap operas. I think car enthusiasts may well have become tired with it but families and the general public enjoy it immensely - it is an entertainment show with a motoring theme not a car review show as it was in the days on Noel Edmonds et al.

• 08-23-2011 7:15 AM In reply to

Totally agree with simon8201 - it is a great show and it's hugely entertaining - the three presenter work well together and they are having fun. There is so much rubbish on TV now that we have all the satellite and digital channells that Top Gear is miles ahead.

Everyone to their own I guess - I mean how many more times can the other channells show Last of the Summer Wine, Come Dine with Me, To the Manor Born, Porridge, George and Mildred - all, imo absolute rubbish and donkeys years old. I cancelled my sky subsciption as there just wasn;t anything on there worth watching - and if you do watch something the adverts go on for ever and are getting more and more dumbed down.

Rant over.

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 08-23-2011 7:27 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

simon8201:

It simply isn't true to say'most brits' don't watch Top Gear anymore. 

I never said that (people don't watch it). Not at all. I still *watch* it. Many others do too. However, it's still very very staged. It's almost a bit cringeworthy.

For example, take the recent show where they travelled to Monaco. Apparently Hammond and May didn't know the F1 was on (even though they drive sports cars, present a TV show and, the next day, they take part in a drive through the F1 track. Then, they just happen to end up at an F1 party and chat casually to Tim O'Glock, where Clarkson has to correct them that, actually, he's called Timo Glock. This was all pre-written, staged and we're supposed to believe they don't know leading F1 drivers? Really?

The ratings are dropping and opioning changing (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1237565/Top-Gear-boss-admits-turning-presenters-cartoon-characters-ratings-plummet.htmlhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organgrinder/2009/dec/22/top-gear and http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/blog/article/386537/) and the general consensus is that the current style won't continue long-term "It's fair to say this incarnation of Top Gear is nearer the end than the beginning, and our job is to land this plane with its dignity still intact,".

Whereas, in the US http://www.metro.co.uk/tv/845512-top-gear-presenters-pull-in-record-ratings-for-us-tv-show

It's immensely popular outside the UK. Many Brits now, although they watch it (like me!), find it scripted, long-in-the-tooth and a bit past it's sell by date. And there's constant discussion about how they move the show forward. Which was my point :)

• 08-23-2011 9:28 AM In reply to

Jonathan:
    The one thing Top Gear has is a female audience. My wife is not interested in cars at all, yet she can watch an episode of Top Gear.

That is actually a good point and reinforces my opinion that the show is entertaining beyond its subject matter. My wife actually is a "car girl" but I think she enjoys the show as I do -for the often breath-taking footage and the frequent belly laugh.

Regarding a favorite episode... I was reminded last night of mine. It wasn't even really a car theme but rather two-wheeled -the journey through Vietnam on scooter/moped/bike. Watching Clarkson hit the road still brings tears to my eyes.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 08-23-2011 1:16 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I sat down for the Vietnam special last night as well. Even though I've seen it a dozen times I still enjoy it and find it funny.

I had forgotten all about the part where Hammond finishes repairing his model Gallion and procedes to stand up - boat in hand - sending the masts straight into the spinning blades of a ceiling fan! Gets me every time! LaughingLaughingLaughing

I will say I thoroughly enjoyed the season opener last night as well!

Evan

• 08-23-2011 2:16 PM In reply to

Perhaps my most favorite episode, that I watch again and again, is the caravan holiday that ends with the trailer/caravan catching fire.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 08-23-2011 2:22 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Speaking for myself & as a Brit, I love Top Gear & all the obviously staged silliness (judging by converstions I have - all of my friends & colleagues feel the same way). It's refreshing to me that the BBC don't bend to the "right on PC brigade" and still broadcast programmes which are obviously not intended to be taken seriously.

James May is the favourite uncle I never had when I was a lad - he's a riot.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 08-24-2011 2:52 AM In reply to

This is one of my favourites - The Ariel Atom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v4YNkurhLk&feature=fvsr

• 08-24-2011 1:42 PM In reply to

Thanks Moxxey, Mbee and Robert,

Watched the episode again this afternoon. Even as it is one from 2005, it still keeps entertaining.

But again, despite al the scripts, unexpected things happen. Like the Romenian Dacia that hits James's maserati (or was it a Lambourghini).

• 08-24-2011 4:28 PM In reply to

• jahur
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-07-2011
    • planet zonk
    • Posts 161
    • Bronze Member

burantek:

moxxey:
    But, as I said, the opinion in the States is much different.

I enjoy the show as much for the cinematography and editing as I do for the content or the hosts -though I love James May and some of his other shows that are trickling into the states.

I think that the real reason the UK show may have a stronger US following is because of the US version -which is utterly horrid.

this is an absolute brilliant reply. the cinematography is just fab as is all the other episodes! even more so when viewed on a b&o tv!Yes -  thumbs up

(formerly nokinnikon from the old site)

• 08-24-2011 5:19 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

One of my favourite reviews is the Aston Martin Vantage V12 - not my favourite Aston mind but the "review" is stunning - all set to the full blown, Eno's "An Ending - (Ascent)" - one of favourite tracks of all time, mentioned many times in different threads here on Beoworld ................... enjoy -

Apart from the "comedy" of Top Gear, this is the essence.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2