in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-24-2011 5:19 PM by Puncher. 37 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-22-2011 7:31 AM

Top Gear B&O

Just watched a season 8 TG episode, and Jeremy Clarkson has/had a B&O cellphone! (Serene.)

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 08-22-2011 7:39 AM In reply to

Re: Top Gear B&O

His buddy's Richard and James refer to Jeremy when it comes to B&O "He is fully distracted when B&O shows up".

• 08-22-2011 7:42 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Yep, he's also discussed how much of a fan he is of B&O, generally.

Frankly, the big buffoon is a person who offers association B&O should not be seeking in the future. I don't know many <30-year-olds who hold Clarkson with much respect these days. Most Brits are starting to vew Top Gear as a group of highly paid aging buffoons who have the show so they can test sports cars that 99.9% of the viewers will never be able to afford.

• 08-22-2011 7:58 AM In reply to

moxxey:

Yep, he's also discussed how much of a fan he is of B&O, generally.

Frankly, the big buffoon is a person who offers association B&O should not be seeking in the future. I don't know many <30-year-olds who hold Clarkson with much respect these days. Most Brits are starting to vew Top Gear as a group of highly paid aging buffoons who have the show so they can test sports cars that 99.9% of the viewers will never be able to afford.

IMHO is great entertainment. If they were testing Polo's and Fiats I wouldn't be watching. Laughing

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 08-22-2011 8:16 AM In reply to

bayerische:

IMHO is great entertainment. If they were testing Polo's and Fiats I wouldn't be watching. Laughing

I agree. It is a great show. I am eagerly awaiting the season premier tonight. We, here in the USA, get it several months after the BBC broadcasts it. We have an American version of it also. Not as good as the original however.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 08-22-2011 9:46 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:

I agree. It is a great show. 

It's much more popular in the US than it is in the UK these days. From what I discuss with people over here and on various forums, the general consensus is that the show has long since lost it's edge. It's the same formulaic "oh we just managed to run our car in to the river....that wasn't planned at all, honest" format. And the guys hosting it are a bit past it.

But, as I said, the opinion in the States is much different.

• 08-22-2011 10:13 AM In reply to

moxxey:
    But, as I said, the opinion in the States is much different.

I enjoy the show as much for the cinematography and editing as I do for the content or the hosts -though I love James May and some of his other shows that are trickling into the states.

I think that the real reason the UK show may have a stronger US following is because of the US version -which is utterly horrid.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 08-22-2011 10:38 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Top Gear is my absolute favorite show, in fact I've set the new season premier to be recorded tonight. But only just in case I'm not there!

As people have said above, the U.S. version is just plain terrible. Something needs to be done about this...

Jaff, I'll second you on James May's other shows - really good telly.

Evan

• 08-22-2011 11:55 AM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

'Loved the episode that was supposed to be a 3-way comparison of a R-R Ghost, Mercedes S65 AMG, and Bentley Mulsanne.  Bentley at the last moment refused to lend them a car so they substituted a Yugo and reviewed it as if it were the Bentley.  Good stuff..

• 08-22-2011 12:11 PM In reply to

I think I watch TV about 4 hours a week. And some of that time is devoted to Top gear. I have to admit that I like the show less than a few years back, but there's not much else worth watching.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 08-22-2011 12:21 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

mediabobny:

'Loved the episode that was supposed to be a 3-way comparison of a R-R Ghost, Mercedes S65 AMG, and Bentley Mulsanne.  Bentley at the last moment refused to lend them a car so they substituted a Yugo and reviewed it as if it were the Bentley.  Good stuff..

This is one of the few episodes I have seen.  My son and I thought it was hilarious... unfortunately, I haven't yet seen another episode that compared to this one.

Stan

• 08-22-2011 12:37 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

beocool:

I think I watch TV about 4 hours a week. And some of that time is devoted to Top gear. I have to admit that I like the show less than a few years back, but there's not much else worth watching.

So true Freerk. I watch roughly the same amount of tv. On my own at least. With friends its much different!

So here on BBC-A they are playing Top Gear all day long. Very hard to resist!

EDIT: In fact I am getting rid of one of my tvs today! And not to be replaced!! I've gone crazy..

Evan

• 08-22-2011 1:15 PM In reply to

mediabobny:

I agree. Great episode. 

Also liked the one where they were driving here in the USA and Clarkson had a cow on his roof.

• 08-22-2011 2:26 PM In reply to

Razlaw:

mediabobny:

I agree. Great episode. 

Also liked the one where they were driving here in the USA and Clarkson had a cow on his roof.

Which episode is that?

-Andreas

• 08-22-2011 2:35 PM In reply to

I liked this episode so much...I ended up buying the car!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgZlpRdQlRI

• 08-22-2011 3:16 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

bayerische:

Razlaw:

mediabobny:

I agree. Great episode. 

Which episode is that?

The trip through the deep south!

Evan

• 08-22-2011 4:22 PM In reply to

Correct. The episode through the South. I believe it also included "fat Stig", the Stig's American cousin?

• 08-22-2011 4:25 PM In reply to

I can really appreciate the way the show is presented in its way.

The picture, the scenery and the different camara views. along with the sound (used soundtracks) are well balanced in my opinion.

Of course, most things are probably set up, like one episode where the sandero was hit by a truck.

Does someone know which episode it was when they visited France and drove over the Millau bridge? I remember that had a very nice scenery and sound also.

• 08-22-2011 4:54 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

I also remember him saying it was mostly full of Phillips he knows!

This was my favourate show, but has now become nothing other than an insulting Pantomime. Insulting to the people it tries to get you to laugh at, and our intelligence because they actualy think we really didn't realise the caravan etc would catch fireErm

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 08-22-2011 4:56 PM In reply to

I do not know which episode it was, but agree with you, it was very nice.

• 08-22-2011 5:17 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Chris:

I also remember him saying it was mostly full of Phillips he knows!

He did indeed. Something like "I know it's only rebadged Phillips, but I like it...". I cringed.

Chris:

This was my favourite show, but has now become nothing other than an insulting Pantomime. Insulting to the people it tries to get you to laugh at, and our intelligence because they actualy think we really didn't realise the caravan etc would catch fireErm

Brits just do not like the arrogance, the pre-written and staged silliness and so on. I read an interview recently where Hammond was saying that he expected Top Gear to be cancelled soon (a lot of people are calling for it), but the BBC couldn't just cancel as it's one of their most successful exported shows. It's bigger outside the UK than it's home country, by a long way.

And yep, Beobuddy, all those so-called off-the-cuff comments are written, staged and carefully constructed. Same with the "stunts". I think Brits are so naturally pessimistic, that we sussed that a long time ago :)

• 08-22-2011 5:30 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

If they want something new, and funny i would ditch Hammond and employ Sabine the German female driver. Not only is she a fearless and fantastic driver, she also has a good personality that would humiliate and embarrass Clarkson. Genuinly funny.

Sorry have to go my caravan has fallen over the cliff, and burst into flames on a Robin Reliant.

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 08-22-2011 6:07 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Beobuddy:
    Does someone know which episode it was when they visited France and drove over the Millau bridge? I remember that had a very nice scenery and sound also.

Here it is : Supercars do France

Part 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IWA33mGUXM

Part 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88TC4G3F4FY 

Part 3 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFbG-4VWqpA

Part 4 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXczwwtwY0M

I especially like the Parisian part, where they cannot get out of the parking... It's sometimes difficult to "escape" this kind of parkings with a simple Peugeot, so with a Zonda... Stick out tongue

• 08-22-2011 7:42 PM In reply to

The one thing Top Gear has is a female audience. My wife is not interested in cars at all, yet she can watch an episode of Top Gear.

The other car show, Fifth Gear(?), is pretty ordinary and wooden in comparison...

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 08-22-2011 9:45 PM In reply to

Chris:

Sorry have to go my caravan has fallen over the cliff, and burst into flames on a Robin Reliant.

Big Smile

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >