in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-23-2011 6:18 PM by harryb. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-17-2011 6:42 PM

• harryb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-17-2011
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Deault TV Channel at switch on

I have a Beovision LX5000 that defaults to TV station 1 on switch on. Now that the switch to digital has hit my area I would like to set the default to station 6 (which is tuned to my Freeview box). I can remember setting the default when I bought the LX5000 but that was about 18 years ago and my memory isn't good enough to remember what I did!! I can't even rember where I put the manual!! Any help will be very welcome.

TIA

Harry

• 08-18-2011 4:51 AM In reply to

Re: Deault TV Channel at switch on

I don't think there is a way to program a default channel. If you press TV on the remote, the set should turn on with the program number you were last watching.

But I suggest you connect the box via a SCART cable if you have a free socket left on the TV, you'll get a better picture as well.

Or just to keep it simple, why don't you tune preset 1 to receive the Freeview box? Smile

-mika

• 08-18-2011 6:05 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

I think, Mika is right. I never heard of a "default TV station setting" before too. Maybe your Freeview box lets your LX switch automatically to the SCART port when you turn on the Freeview box...(?) Anyway picture quality should be much better using SCART.

Stefan

• 08-18-2011 6:52 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Hi Harry & welcome.

Surely there must be a way to tune your TV/Freeeview box so that Station #1 is tuned to the box? 

Are you connected via RF or scart?

I think it may not be coincidence that your Freeview signal is coming via #6 (did someone programme it to this number so that it then followed on from TV Channels 1 - 5?). 

Don't focus your concern on station 1 being the default and changing it,  change the tuning settings so that Freeview is now viewed via Station #1. 

Again I wonder how you are viewing - via RF or scart. The more I think about it, I think you may be using RF. Why not scart?

• 08-19-2011 2:23 PM In reply to

harryb:

Now that the switch to digital has hit my area I would like to set the default to station 6 (which is tuned to my Freeview box).  I can't even rember where I put the manual!! Any help will be very welcome.

TIA

Harry

Hi Harry,

The user manual is on this site so if you have the relevant membership level you can download it. It shows the TV has two Scarts. Is that correct? If so, your best bet is to connect your freeview box via one of those as suggested above. Scart is by far the best connection for your freeview box as it now has to be a permanent part of our TV setup just to get a picture.

That way, when you turn on your freeview box the TV will start up automatically on the relevant AV input. (AV1 or AV2 depending on which socket you use.)

If you have other items like a video recorder and/or DVD player/recorder connected using up both scarts I would suggest having a change arround especially with a video recorder/DVD recorder because you will want the signal from freeview to pass through so that you can record freeview without having to leave the TV on.

When freeview came our way (Devon was one of the first to switch) it did mean I had to change a lot around as far as connections on the TV went and it took a while to get used to the buttons on the remote as by changing what is plugged into a scart, you change what the button on the beo remote controls. You may as well make all the changes you need now to ensure you become re-familarised with what buttons on your remote will switch to (and control if it is a beo product).

You may want to list exactly what you have ie TV, DVD, Video, freeview, Playstation, Xbox, Wii etc and where it is plugged into along with which remote you have and then we can make suggestions as to what to plug where.

Stoobie

• 08-23-2011 6:18 PM In reply to

• harryb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-17-2011
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for your comments, Stoobie. My equipment is:

LX5000 TV; Beocord V8000 VCR, Toshiba DVD player and Grundig GUD1500 freeview box. I have 2 B&O remotes - a 5000 (with a non-working screen!) and a 1000.

The TV, VCR each have 2 scart sockets. The Freeview box also has 2 scarts, 1 labelled 'TV' and 1 labelled 'VCR'. The DVD player has 1 scart socket.

At present only the TV and Freeview box are connected (via a scart cable from the 'TV' socket on the freeview to AV1 on the TV). The external aerial feed is plugged into the freeview box (I also have the RF Out from the freeview plugged into the TV but I don't think that is doing anything).

The TV is setup so that AV1 is 'V.TP1 + Dec' and AV2 is 'Off'.

So, I have 2 problems:  1) Setting up VCR and DVD and, more urgently, 2) why don't I get any picture or sound for about 5 minutes after switch-on!!

Prior to switch over, the freeview box was working fine, attached to a Matsui TV in another room and the B & O kit was working perfectly with a very old Pace freeview box - everything was available; TV, VCR, DVD. Unfortunately the Pace was only able to handle the old 2k digital transmission so it had to go!!

My startup proceedure now is: Power on the TV, which starts up in standby mode, and hit 'TV' on the remote. The TV shows 'TV-1' which is, of course, the old analogue channel. Then I power on the freeview box and after a second or so the TV shows 'TV-6' which is the channel that was tuned to the old freeview box. That suggests to me that the scart interface is being recognised. I then have a screen full of 'snow' for anything from 30 seconds to a minute or so before the screen clears and the freeview box splash screen shows. When that clears, I can see the Info data for whatever channel the box was last set to, with a signal strength of 0%. As soon as the signal strength goes positive (usually about 5 seconds but often much longer) the screen fills with snow again. If I leave it like that and go and have coffee (or something stronger!) then when I get back there *may* be a picture. Then again, there may not!!

I have tried using AV2 on the TV instead of AV1 and have tried a different scart cable but that makes no difference at all. I am now getting serious aggro from 'she who must be obeyed' who has missed the start of a couple of things she wanted to watch and is now using strong language like 'why don't we get a Panasonic?'

Any hints and/or comments will be welcome.

TIA

Harry

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)